Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

What went on between Ullrich, LA, and Landis?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-04, 12:39 AM
boston310

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe someone already talked about it, but what were they saying to each other? Were there any stories about this? It looked odd and just wondered if they interviewed anyone specifically about this.
Old 07-23-04, 12:49 AM
ed073

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boston310
Maybe someone already talked about it, but what were they saying to each other? Were there any stories about this? It looked odd and just wondered if they interviewed anyone specifically about this.
Lots of chit chat in the bunch......could have been anything.
Old 07-23-04, 12:53 AM
Roostalee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Ullrich was trying to borrow Lance's homework because Landis ate his. Then Kloden went and got silly fast. Then, Lance laid the smack down. It was pretty cool.

That's my official report and I'm sticking to it.

Landis, Acevedo and Hincapie might never become household names in America, which is a shame. These USPS lieutenants are nothing short of cycling gods.
Old 07-23-04, 01:43 AM
hollow

Bikes: Cervelo P2K, Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Jan was asking Lance and Floyd to step on the gas so Jan could sit on without appearing to attack Kloden, which would show bad form. Lance probably said something to the effect that "you go ahead if you want to gain some time". If Jan did, then Lance and Floyd could sit on, maybe taking a few turns. Lance had nothing to gain by working with Jan as Jan couldn't gain more than around 30 seconds on Lance. That's what I think, or maybe I'm wrong.
Old 07-23-04, 04:48 AM
TimB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jan said:
"eeef you gentlemen voood pleees kip riding your buyziccles, i am not going to fourzz ze paze, after you, beeter!

Landis: " Holy cow maaaan I'm foooked

LA: I'll give you $10000 to be unfoooked"

Kloden:" yis ees my moment of truez ya,

Jan: ha ha foiled you american's vunce more ya!"

LA: "buy the power of gray skull weel not be beaten to day" bam!

The rest is history
Old 07-23-04, 06:05 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
At one point LA told Landis something like, "speed up the pace like you've just robbed a bank cause you're about to win the stage".
Unfortunately Floyd ran out of gas before he crossed the line so LA had to take the win.
Old 07-23-04, 06:22 AM
Scooby Snax

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Lance told Floyd to ride it like you stole it, but after haulin Lance up and over hill and dale, Floyd could only manage a 4th... too bad, would have liked to see Floyd get a win for his own self. Than man is an animal.. great bike rider and a loyal team mate.
Did anyone figure out if Floyd did get the win on that last climb?

Scoob

Old 07-23-04, 06:30 AM
zensuit

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooby Snax
Lance told Floyd to ride it like you stole it, but after haulin Lance up and over hill and dale, Floyd could only manage a 4th... too bad, would have liked to see Floyd get a win for his own self. Than man is an animal.. great bike rider and a loyal team mate.
Did anyone figure out if Floyd did get the win on that last climb?

Scoob

Hear, hear! The cool thing about the OLN TDF coverage is that I get to explain to interested people at the office just how amazing Hincapie, Landis, and Jose the Ace really are...

One other cool thing...I am just getting back into riding after about 11 years off...it's more inspiring in some ways to watch LA's team and the work they do for him than it is to watch LA...I suspect I feel a lot more like Floyd at the top of a long climb than I do LA, lol.
Old 07-23-04, 07:49 AM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Floyd was 2nd over the last climb.

Here is what happened, and this is a great stage to teach someone about team tactics.

While the commercial break was going on, Lance had told Floyd to attack on the downhill, as Floyd not being a threat to the overall may have been let go, with the favorites only marking each other. But this was not the case, Ullrich chased Floyd down, and as it all came back together, the live footage returned. At this point Basso and Kloden had been gapped a bit.

Lance was telling Ullrich if he wanted to move up on the GC, he better step on the gas. Ullrich would not, which tells us veteran obsevers that T-Mobile is going for the stage win, and It's probably Kloden who is the chosen one. If Ullrich had gone, and tried to get time on Basso, and Kloden, he would have towed Lance and Floyd to the finish and probably lost the stage. So he refused to pull through. While this is going on, it all comes back together again.

Floyd is told to attack again, and he does, and here is where T-Mobile has to show their hand a bit. ULLRICH is the one who chases, so know we KNOW that Kloden is the chosen weapon to win the stage, and this makes sense, as he is 1 minute out of 2nd place on the GC, and could close that down to 40 seconds with the stage win.

As it all came back together, I was waiting for the counter attack, I knew it was coming from either Kloden or Lance, and here is where experience comes in. How far to the finish, how many corners, which way is the wind blowing etc.... Kloden rips off a devestating counter, and opens a huge gap. Phil Ligget is saying that the race was just won.

Lance doesn't follow, and here is where the gamble is. Perhaps it surprised him that Koden went so soon, but he didn't chase, he trusted that his team mate would be able to close the gap enough for him. Floyd sees Kloden fly by and knows that the stage will not be his, but he also knows his job is to bury himself to get Lance up there, and immediatley started to chase. and Lance used him to get just a bit closer before he made his move.

Despite finishing 13 seconds back on the stage, it was Floyd was responsible for the stage win. It was the 2 Attacks by Floyd that made T-Mobile show their plans. And it was Floyd who brought Lance close enough to Kloden so Lance could get the win.

But as in most bike races, at the end there is a little bit of luck involved, if Koden had waited 2 or 3 seconds before launching his counter, he probably would have won. If Floyd turned the pedals just a bit slower due to fatique, Kloden probably would have won. And although Lances accleration was probably just as fast as Klodens initial one was, Lance had timed his better.
Old 07-23-04, 09:01 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Smoothie,

thanks for about the best explanation/analysis of the final moments of the stage
I've read. I think everyone should read this one.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 07-23-04, 09:29 AM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amen to that.
Old 07-23-04, 11:58 AM
Crack'n'fail
Photog Extraordinaire

Bikes: Santa Cruz Chameleon, Cannondale R800 (CAAD4) with Dura-Ace upgrade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know, TimB's explanation was pretty freakin sweet too.
Old 07-23-04, 12:31 PM
Methos
Mmbeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crack'n'fail
I don't know, TimB's explanation was pretty freakin sweet too.
I think the He-Man reference was clutch.

Although Smoothie, I would like to watch the tour with you.
Old 07-23-04, 12:35 PM
roadbuzz
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smoothie104
Lance had timed his better.
I could not believe how Lance timed his. He waited and waited, started from wayyyy behind Kloeden, and still only just pipped him at the line (but it was enough!).
Old 07-23-04, 12:38 PM
progre-ss

Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you guys happen to catch OLN's interview with Landis after the fact? He was very humble and looked to be quite embarassed to be interviewed! My wife said he looked "cute" cuz his face was all red. What he did for Lance during that stage brings him up the rungs for the MVD (Most Valuable Domestique) Award in my eyes!
Old 07-23-04, 01:33 PM
Roostalee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadbuzz
I could not believe how Lance timed his. He waited and waited, started from wayyyy behind Kloeden, and still only just pipped him at the line (but it was enough!).
I thought the same thing! Armstrong's attack looked like precise, premeditated choreography. Had he attacked even half a second later, he probably would have lost the stage. That said, it was certainly no fluke he won.

Forget about EPO, I think he's got a NOS canister hidden somewhere on his person.
Old 07-23-04, 02:31 PM
duracann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think that lance was trying that hard to win until he noticed that kloden had slowed considerably and he still had a shot. Then he put the pedal down and won.
Old 07-23-04, 07:10 PM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Very nice analysis Smoothie—jives with all the post-race interviews, makes sense, and explains exactly how complex a breakaway finish of a stage can be.

Salute!