Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Old 05-08-15, 07:42 AM
dogarr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got it in a bike shop in Japan and they won't do it. I will have to ask around but the authorized Trek dealers probably won't replace just the fork. I will check that out-- I don't really need a carbon fork, just any fork that fits. Can you tell me how I can find out which forks would be compatible? I will take a look at that site!

Thanks!

If the dealer you bought your bike from won't help you, try another shop? Specifically shops that specialize in "sports bikes". Where did you buy your bike anyway?

I know a company selling carbon forks (but for road bikes) so there's a possibility you might find one for your FX. ******************** | ******************************??? » Dixna Carbon forks are expensive though![/QUOTE]
Old 05-08-15, 07:43 AM
dogarr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh now I see you are in Japan too. I got it at Y's.
Old 05-08-15, 11:05 AM
BrockLee
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just purchased a standard bar (Oval Concepts M200) and standard grips (Ergon GE1) to replace the IsoZone stuff. IsoZone is making no difference for me, and I don't like the non-standard bar which restricts the type of grips and bar ends I can install. Should have the new gear installed sometime next week.
Originally Posted by Sarah1126
I'm finding that the stock grips are really hurting my hands.
I just replaced my pedals with the Origin8 Ultim8 Slimline Platform. We'll see how these work. When I purchased them all I knew was that I wanted a wide platform pedal with replaceable spikes so my foot wouldn't slide.
Originally Posted by Sarah1126
Also considering doing some upgrading with the pedals but have no idea what to consider...suggestions?
Old 05-08-15, 01:33 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
quite by organic accident wifey and kids each wound up with one. thanks to me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0616131837.jpg (97.1 KB, 935 views)
003 Moms 7_3 FX.jpg (103.3 KB, 930 views)
004 Sons 7_1 FX.jpg (104.9 KB, 922 views)
005 Daughters 7_1 FX.jpg (104.5 KB, 920 views)
006 Rack 1a.jpg (106.3 KB, 906 views)
007 Rack 1b.jpg (87.7 KB, 886 views)
008 Rack 2a.jpg (101.2 KB, 885 views)
010 Rack 3a.jpg (97.8 KB, 884 views)
011 Rack 3b.jpg (93.5 KB, 894 views)
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-08-15, 06:03 PM
SimplyCosmic

Bikes: Specialized AWOL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had my '15 FX 7.2 for 2 months now and have had 5 rear spokes break in the last month. The city roads here are not well-maintained and I am sure between weight and uneven road cracks are not helping. Are there stronger spokes I should look at to replace those on my rear wheel?
Old 05-08-15, 06:33 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not that it is really relevant... How much do you weigh?

I weigh over 300 and have broken 1 spoke in 10 years, mostly gravel and crushed stone riding, along with some seriously pot-holed streets.

The stock wheels on low end bikes are, in my experience, quite reliable... of course i lift out of the saddle if i see a significant bump to save wear on me and the bike

There could be a tension issue, or a component problem. If you are the original owner, you couls start pushing for a replacement wheel. Is there any commonality of when the spokes break? Is it always on the same side of the wheel? Have you had the shop replace the spokes each time? Did they check spoke tension?

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-08-15, 11:30 PM
SimplyCosmic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I weigh about 280, and this is a new 2015 FX 7.2 purchased in March. I didn't record the first 3 that snapped, I brought the bike into the LBS where I bought it, and they charged me $36 for labor and replacement stems. I asked about coverage due to the bike being so new, they just said I had likely hit a pot hole.
Old 05-09-15, 01:10 PM
SimplyCosmic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I brought the bike in to be looked at for any warranty coverage. I am curious if I should look for a more industrial-strength rear wheel what recommendations anyone might have. I don't want to go wild on expensive upgrades, but it'd be nice to have something designed for any longer rides I might get into in the future with saddlebags on the back, that sort of thing.
Old 05-09-15, 05:03 PM
HillRiderEast

Bikes: Trek fx 7.4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up taking it home with the stock stem. He said the stock is a medium and would change it out for me in the next 60 days. He made many other adjustment. He rolled the bar a bit forward for me and I could reach the shifters better. He also put the extra spacer in to bring the bar up higher. We played around with the seat until it felt the best for my sit bones, but he thought for my reach, I need to bring it more forward. But the sit bones felt pretty good so I am going to leave the seat and seat height alone for awhile and do 3 or 4 eight to 10 mile rides and see how it all feels. The ride is very, very smooth. Marimarimo - could your bike shop replace the bar for you with something else to align with your shoulder width?
Old 05-09-15, 09:50 PM
adelii
TrekDualSuspension Freak!

Bikes: 2005 Trek Y26 stock w/ rs ario w/ lockout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2015 7.7

Well went in to service my 2011 Trek 2.1 triple. came out of there with a smooth riding 2.1 and a FX 7.7. I was sick of being all bent over all the time like if i was racing. I usually hit up a 15 mile ride before work and thought it be nice to be more upright. So i have been in three rides since i bought it and all i can say is i doubt ill be riding that 2.1 anytime soon. Why i havent done this before is baffling.

All ive done is put some carbon shimano spd pedals on it and hooked up a node 1 and Rokform phone holder on it. So far very happy and excited for my workouts again.
Attached Images
image.jpg (97.5 KB, 952 views)

Last edited by adelii; 05-09-15 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-10-15, 09:20 PM
johnbash612

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So,

I noticed the Trek FX 2015/16 series bikes have 2 custom mounting holes on the rear triangle. My assumption is that they are there for a kickstand but I haven't been able to find any kickstands online that would work. I know there is a dual sport version that looks like it might work, but there is no mention of compatibility on the Bontrager website.

Bontrager Dual Sport Rear Mount Kickstand - Replacement Parts - Accessories -Trek Store#

Has anyone had luck at their LBS with a specific Trek FX rear kickstand?
Old 05-10-15, 09:43 PM
steve_cay

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.4 DS

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnbash612
So,

I noticed the Trek FX 2015/16 series bikes have 2 custom mounting holes on the rear triangle. My assumption is that they are there for a kickstand but I haven't been able to find any kickstands online that would work. I know there is a dual sport version that looks like it might work, but there is no mention of compatibility on the Bontrager website.

Bontrager Dual Sport Rear Mount Kickstand - Replacement Parts - Accessories -Trek Store#

Has anyone had luck at their LBS with a specific Trek FX rear kickstand?
I just got that stand for my DS, so much more stable and sturdy than my old generic centre stand ... no more tipping over! Got it at my LBS for the same price as on the Trek site.

Just measured, and my holes are exactly 3/4" apart on the chain stay (on a tab protruding out slightly). Looks like this:

I think this is some kind of standard, since I saw something similar on Giant bikes (but can't be sure it is exactly the same spacing). If the FX looks similar with the same spacing, I should think it would work!
Old 05-10-15, 11:32 PM
marimorimo

Bikes: Pinarello Razha 2015, Trek FX 7.4 WSD 2015

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dogarr
Oh now I see you are in Japan too. I got it at Y's.
Figures. Y's Road is well-known for terrible customer service. Don't count on them to help. I wouldn't recommend buying bikes from them either unless you know how to maintain everything yourself. I would look around and find a real "sports bike shop" to help you find a fork. The best ones are usually smaller shops, not massive chains with 10+ stores selling both "mama-charis" and sports bikes. I don't know if there would be a shop near you, but the chain called BIKE PLUS is a Trek dealer (they ONLY sell Trek bikes) which I think is your best bet to find a 100% compatible fork. The people there are bound to be friendlier and much more helpful than the part-timers at Y's.
Old 05-12-15, 04:10 AM
dogarr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks , Ill check it out. I'll look for a Bike Plus outlet in Tokyo.
Old 05-12-15, 06:17 PM
Rsmith11

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having a real tough time deciding whether I should get a Trek 7.2 or 7.3.. I've searched the forums and read a lot of posts about the same question but I still can't decide.

I feel like the 7.2 is a better value but I also really like the 7.3's matte black scheme. Can someone more experienced offer your opinion on 7.2 vs 7.3? I'm a casual commuter from Minnesota if that matters. Just looking at value here.
Old 05-12-15, 06:21 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rsmith11
I'm having a real tough time deciding whether I should get a Trek 7.2 or 7.3.. I've searched the forums and read a lot of posts about the same question but I still can't decide.

I feel like the 7.2 is a better value but I also really like the 7.3's matte black scheme. Can someone more experienced offer your opinion on 7.2 vs 7.3? I'm a casual commuter from Minnesota if that matters. Just looking at value here.
The 7.3 has a lighter frame and slightly better components.
Old 05-12-15, 08:51 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yashinon
I have no dog in this thread really, but I am curious as to how much lighter the frame/stock bike is? This really applies to all bikes as you "upgrade", but I though you might have a real number to chew on.

QT
Old 05-12-15, 09:18 PM
Rsmith11

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm also interested on how much better the components are. I suppose I should pony up another $100-200 and get the nicer bike from the get go.
Old 05-12-15, 09:26 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
I have no dog in this thread really, but I am curious as to how much lighter the frame/stock bike is? This really applies to all bikes as you "upgrade", but I though you might have a real number to chew on.

QT
I don't know the exact difference in pounds/grams, but in store, when I picked up a 7.2 & a 7.4, I was surprised at how much difference I could discern.
Old 05-13-15, 02:47 PM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Adelii: Congrats on the new ride! How many miles have you put on it so far!

Originally Posted by adelii
Well went in to service my 2011 Trek 2.1 triple. came out of there with a smooth riding 2.1 and a FX 7.7. I was sick of being all bent over all the time like if i was racing.
This is exactly the reason why I went with the FX series over a road bike. For me, personally, I like being more upright especially when riding in the city. Besides, you don't get to enjoy the scenery looking at the ground all the time lol but I digress. I want a road bike too but being upright feels so much comfortable.
Old 05-13-15, 03:18 PM
adelii
TrekDualSuspension Freak!

Bikes: 2005 Trek Y26 stock w/ rs ario w/ lockout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sh00k
Adelii: Congrats on the new ride! How many miles have you put on it so far!

This is exactly the reason why I went with the FX series over a road bike. For me, personally, I like being more upright especially when riding in the city. Besides, you don't get to enjoy the scenery looking at the ground all the time lol but I digress. I want a road bike too but being upright feels so much comfortable.
Thanks ! i have put about 75 miles on it so far. 5 rides. I like to bike ride one day and hit the gym the next.

As far as ride. Man cant get enough. extremely happy with riding position. i dont compete so this bike is here to stay.
Old 05-13-15, 03:50 PM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yashinon
And an entirely different handlebar system, grips, stem, saddle, different rims, tires, internal cable routing, aluminium fork and just about everything else on the bicycle that I didn't already mention including the entire drivetrain. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a common element between them other than the name. I think the 7.3 is the best value in the FX line and a huge upgrade over the 7.2.
Old 05-14-15, 10:50 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
15" Trek 7.3fx Custom Hybrid... Blue Meanie

Came across this on Craigslist and thought you guys might like it It's an FX with a different handle bar to give it a more upright riding position... what do you guys think about it...? Have any of you done/considered doing something similar?

Attached Images
00h0h_aNl3O9171hx_600x450.jpg (41.8 KB, 1755 views)
Old 05-14-15, 01:26 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have toyed with a few different handlebars. I am putting batrs similar to those on a couple of older road bikes for rail trail use.

If you hadn't mentioned the bars, the first thing I would have noticed on that bike would be the ugly rims... but I could see how somebody might like them.

I am considering moving to a bar with more sweep, but not quite as much as that. I am thinking about 45 degrees +/- 10 degrees. I belive that would keep my wrists in a more natural position.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-15-15, 07:49 AM
starman99

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Compact / 2013 Trek 7.1 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy so many sports/hobbies (golf, hunting, fishing, tennis, astronomy, etc.) that I didn't want to unload a bunch of funds on a bike only to see it collecting dust in the garage at some point down the road. So I got my feet wet last year and purchased a used 2013 7.1FX. Today, I still enjoy biking and ride about 50-60 miles a week average. I really like this bike but I can see me upgrading down the road at some point.

I would definitely buy another FX again but can't recommend the 7.1FX because:

1) The gear ratio wasn't low enough for me. At 14/34, I replaced the freewheel with a 11/32. This made for a much better bike.
2) I won't buy another bike with a freewheel. I see they are less popular and was lucky to find a 11/32 replacement at $40.

As far as other upgrades, I added Ergon GP-3 grips and a Bontrager Commuter saddle. In summary, I would definitely buy another FX again, just not the 7.1.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.