Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Simple continuous training program?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-15, 07:23 AM
dingblok

Bikes: 2002 Quantum Race Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a non peaking program that I can run as cross training for rowing and possibly racing overt the summer. I know it won't be optimal but I'm just curious as to what one might look like that I can improve upon my performances week after week or month to month and I need a little structure outside of just go ride or do cardio. What would a 7-10 day cycle look like if I have 4.5-6ish hours to train a week (probably more as the year goes on)? How do I progress? I'm sure the schedule probably would look similar to rowing but there must be considerations for biking I dont know about.
Old 09-28-15, 09:39 AM
bowzette

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might want to look at Carmichaels Time Crunched Cyclist. Basically you would be doing HIIT with a longer ride if you have time. I recommend doing the intervals on a good trainer-easier to control the quality of the intervals and more time efficient. I suspect your "racing" would be limited to crits as you will lack the base for road races. So I would focus on shorter max vo2 intervals. But you still have to learn pack bike handling skills and that only comes with tight group riding and experience and likely road rash! At any rate you will have to train really smart just to be pack fodder. Most of the riders you will compete against will be doing much more training than you.
Old 09-28-15, 10:30 AM
dingblok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bowzette
Most of the riders you will compete against will be doing much more training than you.

I'd assume that their time on the bike would be, but maybe not their total time training. I row/erg 8ish sessions a week and 2-3 lifts. Especially at the cat 5 level which I'm told is a good mix of entry level athletes and more serious guys. Cycling is good way I can add in volume.
Old 09-28-15, 11:38 AM
bowzette

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you will find the cross training of limited benefit to compete in racing. Cross training is fine for off season but not to compete. You will have to train specifically to compete. Unlike running you can't enter a race and do your own thing. You have to be fit enough to hang with the pack or you will be pulled from the race or just riding solo around the course. You have to train to go deep into the red zone and recover quickly and do it many times. Except for time trials racing has nothing to do with riding at a steady state. And the Cat 5 guys will be going faster than you think. But YMMV. Go try it and see what happens. There is still the bike handling issues. Have you ridden in a fast group ride(s)? Or for that matter any group rides? You need to be able to ride in a group safely, then in fast groups and then fast groups in a tight pack. You can add volume to your training by group social riding, which can be rather fast, without actual licensed racing which is a whole other beast altogether.
Old 09-28-15, 03:43 PM
dingblok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fair enough
Old 09-28-15, 04:02 PM
patrickgm60

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If the time and interest are there, I'd definitely give it a try. If you're in a strong crew program, you'll likely find that you are immediately able to compete, speed-wise, with many of the beginner racers. Equipment, bike-handling, and endurance will be the challenges. My son rowed for 6 years (high school and college) and got on a road bike only a few times/year, but was astonishingly fast... for the first 2 hours. He was averaging ~6% body fat and was accustomed to 2-hour workouts and 6-minute races, so road cycling never grabbed his interest.