Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Heart is in Vintage Bikes, You Wouldn't Kick a Modern Bike Out of Bed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Heart is in Vintage Bikes, You Wouldn't Kick a Modern Bike Out of Bed

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 12:25 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Mr. Pink is nicely designed bike. I am tempted to buy one myself. The current color scheme is really cool, apparently an homage to the 1980s Merckx frames.
Old 04-28-16, 02:41 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Yep. My ’04 Merckx Team SC is without doubt the funnest bike I’ve ever owned/ridden.Wouldn’t mind having a Corsa in Faema livery to go with, but this one’ll do for now.;-)
SP
OC, OR

Old 04-28-16, 04:51 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After much deliberation I kicked this one out of bed. It's not you it's me Celeste. NB chain missing as it broke during a ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo 1LR.jpg (100.2 KB, 320 views)
Old 04-28-16, 04:58 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
^ I did as well. A 2010 Giant Rapid 1. She was fun but not as experienced and nearly bombastic sexy as the trade... '79 Colnago Super. Would have preferred both but someone would've been jealous. I don't need the drama.
Old 04-28-16, 05:08 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Mainah
Hey @gomango, how do you like that ECR, especially in comparison to the Fargo? Someday soonish I hope to pick up a go-anywhere bikepacking rig, and these are two standout options.

Love the ECR!

Upright, snail paced riding at its finest.

It is suited for this type of trail near our relatives' place near the BWCA.

I carry a BOB trailer behind it that can hold a Folbot or a float tube to fish very remote BWCA lakes.

Great Walleye, Smallmouth and Northern Pike 20 + miles from nowhere.

[IMG]IMG_2029 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2018 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2019 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 04-28-16, 05:50 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by lotekmod
I've been looking for an excuse to post this bike which I built this past winter. It's pretty much the only thing I've ridden since, other than my mountain bike.

All City Mr. Pink. Steel frame with room for 38mm Randonneur Pro tires (which measure more like 34mm actual). Fender mounts but had to chop some old fenders down to get them to work with the large tires. This bike was exactly what I've been looking for. Something that handles like my Merckx but with room for wide tires and fenders.
Yes, they ride well.

Not a light frameset, but the ride is very nice.

On the subject of All City, I've been watching for a cheap Nature Boy on our local CL for my son.

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/nature_boy_disc
Old 04-28-16, 06:15 PM
Mainah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Love the ECR!

I carry a BOB trailer behind it that can hold a Folbot or a float tube to fish very remote BWCA lakes.

Now THAT'S the life!
Old 04-28-16, 06:20 PM
arimajol

Bikes: Some old steel, some new steel

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've been looking for an excuse to post this bike which I built this past winter. It's pretty much the only thing I've ridden since, other than my mountain bike.

All City Mr. Pink. Steel frame with room for 38mm Randonneur Pro tires (which measure more like 34mm actual). Fender mounts but had to chop some old fenders down to get them to work with the large tires. This bike was exactly what I've been looking for. Something that handles like my Merckx but with room for wide tires and fenders.
My girlfriend just picked up a Mr. Pink frameset after deciding her old road bike was too small. How do you like it?
Old 04-28-16, 06:50 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Pic of my Pinarello and Cannondale "daily drivers" i mentioned earlier in the thread (finally got to my computer)

This pic is from my informal "shootout" -- where i went on multiple quick 3 mile loops back to back on each trying to decide if the Cannondale was going to leave the roost or not --- epilogue , i still have both --- the 'Dale is ostensibly for sale , but i'm not giving it away , and OKC is a slow market for bikes in its price range --- so i may be stuck with it -
-- its fast though

Old 04-28-16, 07:34 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Love the ECR!

Upright, snail paced riding at its finest.

It is suited for this type of trail near our relatives' place near the BWCA.

[IMG]IMG_029 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2018 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG IMG_2019 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]
You're a lucky duck
Old 04-28-16, 08:37 PM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Modern CF Modern TI

Colnago C50

Ridley Damocles

[IMG]https://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq4/quantumfoam_2008/2011%20Ridley%20Damocles
/DSC_0013.jpg[/IMG]

Moots Psychlo Cross

Old 04-29-16, 04:42 AM
lotekmod

Bikes: '73 Flandria 3 speed, '84 Lotus Legend Compe, '87 Merckx Corsa Extra, '94 Kona Kilauea

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arimajol
My girlfriend just picked up a Mr. Pink frameset after deciding her old road bike was too small. How do you like it?
I like it quite a bit! I had a Surly Cross Check for about a year. I liked the idea of that bike and found I rode it often since I prefer to mix up my road rides with stretches of dirt and gravel whenever I can. The Surly felt dead to me however, just too steady and stable and I realized I would probably never do real touring on it so I looked for a modern sport touring replacement. I had a Velo Orange Pass Hunter frame for about 2 days but returned it unridden. Talk about heavy, that frame and fork weighed 7.5 lbs. I picked up the Mr Pink f+f used, weighs about 6.6 lbs total. Nice ride, very lively. It feels like a real road bike, not a touring bike like the Cross Check. The only thing I was less than happy with was the PF30 bottom bracket which I fixed with a press in adapter. I love the color scheme of the new Mr. Pink and they went back to a threaded BB.
Old 04-29-16, 05:04 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
This is almost complete after some additional tweaks to bring the weight under 25lbs. Not bad for a 61cm, lugged steel frame with dyno hub, lights and fenders. This will soon be my only road bike. I realized after 5 years that no matter what other bikes I have, I always choose this one to ride. Hope to get it out this weekend for a final shakedown and bar taping.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-29-16, 05:23 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Between my current builds and projects in the queue, I don't see myself searching out any new frames. Maybe if I came into a mountain of money, I'd see about getting a custom built steel rando bike, but I don't anticipate that happening. A part of me appreciates the styling and innovation of some carbon wonders (excluding modern TT bikes, which are irretrievably butt ugly), but for me, it will always be steel.

I also like not being crowded when I sleep, so... good chance the modern bike would be on the floor in the morning.
Old 04-29-16, 06:05 AM
arimajol

Bikes: Some old steel, some new steel

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I like it quite a bit! I had a Surly Cross Check for about a year. I liked the idea of that bike and found I rode it often since I prefer to mix up my road rides with stretches of dirt and gravel whenever I can. The Surly felt dead to me however, just too steady and stable and I realized I would probably never do real touring on it so I looked for a modern sport touring replacement. I had a Velo Orange Pass Hunter frame for about 2 days but returned it unridden. Talk about heavy, that frame and fork weighed 7.5 lbs. I picked up the Mr Pink f+f used, weighs about 6.6 lbs total. Nice ride, very lively. It feels like a real road bike, not a touring bike like the Cross Check. The only thing I was less than happy with was the PF30 bottom bracket which I fixed with a press in adapter. I love the color scheme of the new Mr. Pink and they went back to a threaded BB.
Thanks! The new pink faux-Merckx paint is really sweet. The one she got was on sale from a shop that had it as a demo. It's a couple years old, with the PF30 but has never been built. She was thinking about a cross check but really wanted something that felt fast, so I steered her toward the Mr. Pink instead of that or a Macho Man. Her old bike was an aluminum specialized and I'm happy to get her on some steel, even if its new!
Old 04-29-16, 08:23 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
My BMC , while steel, falls in to this category being only 3 years old. Last year it was the bike that I had the most seat time on.

[URL=https://s931.photobucket.com/user/matketze/media/Black%20Mountain%20Cycles%20MonsterCross/DSCF0690_zpsa3aa0458.jpg.html]

The Serotta is a bit older and also steel. It spent most of the winter on the trainer because I have older bikes that I like riding more. Nothing against the Serotta, I just like the look of the lugged frames better.

Old 04-29-16, 09:05 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I'll post my Straggler after I get some updated glamor shots. I built a new front wheel with Velocity Blunt SS rims, Shutter Precision Dynamo hub. Sapim D-Light butted spokes and brass nipples. Think the rim tape was Stans - yellow and had to double wrap.

Its ts a tubeless ready rim, but I'm running tubed right now. Had my Compass tire blow off the side just riding down the street....Anyway my wheel supply shop ordered me some Schwalbe Supreme 650b tire's and tubes and so far, so good.

I installed a Racktime TopIt front rack that has hardware to mount dyno light, so I'm using B & M Lumotec Eyc T Senso Plus light.

Photos to follow.
Old 04-29-16, 09:40 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by gioscinelli
That Moots! That Moots!
Old 04-29-16, 09:48 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
That Moots! That Moots!
It's practically screaming for some big knobby tires.
Old 04-29-16, 09:51 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
This one's an '07. I'm pretty sure it's a Cannondale.

Old 04-29-16, 09:56 AM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Ya, it's a Moots, the finest tig welding and construction offered. But alas, it was too large and the cranks are Campagnolo are Power Torque which required special tools to R&R. All the LSB's were ignorant about removing the cranks, their favorite was a hammer. I wanted to replace the 175mm length cranks with a set that were 170mm length (record square tapered). Besides being snug fit the Moots would have been manageable to ride, with shorter cranks. I wound up selling the frame, too many close encounters, But kept the parts!
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
That Moots! That Moots!
Old 04-29-16, 10:23 AM
FNS32

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love my vintage road bikes, but I still put most my miles on this 2004 Colnago Master
[/URL]
Old 04-29-16, 02:11 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gioscinelli
Ya, it's a Moots, the finest tig welding and construction offered. But alas, it was too large and the cranks are Campagnolo are Power Torque which required special tools to R&R. All the LSB's were ignorant about removing the cranks, their favorite was a hammer. I wanted to replace the 175mm length cranks with a set that were 170mm length (record square tapered). Besides being snug fit the Moots would have been manageable to ride, with shorter cranks. I wound up selling the frame, too many close encounters, But kept the parts!
So if it is the wrong size, wouldn't that be a Moot point?
Old 04-29-16, 05:10 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by FNS32
I love my vintage road bikes, but I still put most my miles on this 2004 Colnago Master
[/URL]

This is a nice choice ! Bridges the gap between vintage and modern quite nicely
Old 04-29-16, 07:25 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
I really tried to like them, but....Ka-thunk!! (sound of ugly new bike hitting bedroom floor)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.