Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Riding without a bike computer feels better...

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 08:30 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I purchased a Lezyne GPS bike computer a few months ago. i love the GPS capability! I usually remove the computer to sync up until the next ride. Sure enough the last couple of rides I forgot to mount the computer. It actually felt better, more minimal. I have no idea how far I rode or how fast I was riding and I really did not care.
Old 07-25-16, 10:42 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I have to say I feel the opposite. I just got back into riding last weekend and my first ride was without my GPS because I hadn't had time to charge the batteries for it, and it didn't quite feel right riding without it. Part of the fun of riding (for me, anyway) as a bit of a techie is looking at the stats for the ride on Garmin Connect / Strava and see how I did against my previous efforts / other people. It also provides good motivation for me to keep pushing myself.
Old 07-25-16, 10:46 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I use the computer as motivation for how fast I am going and for how far. Couldn't ride without it.
Old 07-25-16, 11:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
This is happening again? Well, congratulations on your little entry into zen nirvana or whatthehellever. Kudos, bravooo, etc. Meanwhile,

Strava or it didn't happen.

This is the part where I should say wink-wink or something. Don't take it too seriously, people. I always ride "connected." That's my thing. Yet for some reason, NO ONE who consistently uses GPS to log rides tries to tell the freebird, "disconnect and be one with nature" crowd to get a computer. I swear, the non-GPS group is becoming the cycling equivalent of vegans.

Just think, minimalists-- if riding without a computer feels good, imagine it without the bike! Then you're running! Then get rid of shoes, and clothes! Be like the ancient Greeks! They almost never used GPS, probably.
Old 07-25-16, 11:47 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
..... I swear, the non-GPS group is becoming the cycling equivalent of vegans.

Just think, minimalists-- if riding without a computer feels good, imagine it without the bike! Then you're running! Then get rid of shoes, and clothes! Be like the ancient Greeks! They almost never used GPS, probably.

I love it! I use an app on my phone... and keep the phone in a Ziploc bag in my jersey pocket. It keeps a clean look cockpit... yet I still get all the data. I think that would compare to eating a veggie burger.... with bacon.
Old 07-26-16, 05:21 AM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Really? I have a clear memory riding from Iowa City to Vermont with a paper map but I guess it didn't happen. Rats.
Old 07-26-16, 05:59 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
I use the computer as motivation for how fast I am going and for how far. Couldn't ride without it.
This is what I do as well. Not that I am a number cruncher and follow every second by second, but i like looking at my previous ride just to make sure i can beat it or try to keep up with it.

Even on relaxed rides to the park for a picnic, I simply ignore the bike computer when i don't need the stats
Old 07-26-16, 01:22 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
This is happening again? Well, congratulations on your little entry into zen nirvana or whatthehellever. Kudos, bravooo, etc. Meanwhile,

This is the part where I should say wink-wink or something. Don't take it too seriously, people. I always ride "connected." That's my thing. Yet for some reason, NO ONE who consistently uses GPS to log rides tries to tell the freebird, "disconnect and be one with nature" crowd to get a computer. I swear, the non-GPS group is becoming the cycling equivalent of vegans.

Not to worry; the Data Delusional are difficult to take seriously. You do have one great advantage, though: the way your technology is developing you'll soon be able to "ride" all year without leaving your basements.
Old 07-26-16, 01:47 PM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do run a GPS tracking thing on my phone. I can hear the audio thru my phone at every mile and a brief summary. I check on the phone where I am at the moment. When my heart rate zone change, it tells me too.

Last edited by chong67; 07-26-16 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-27-16, 03:14 AM
Bike Life

Bikes: 1989 Trek 950 MTB, 1991 Schwinn Crosscut, 2015 Trek 520,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have GPS on my CATEYE but wouldn't want to ride without a computer. I log every ride in a note book and have for 20+ years
Old 07-27-16, 06:15 AM
martynaaas

Bikes: Cube Editor

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Life
I don't have GPS on my CATEYE but wouldn't want to ride without a computer. I log every ride in a note book and have for 20+ years
There are two types of bikers - those who ride for stats and those who ride for fun. I personally never had a bike computer so I might not be eligible enough to comment but I still want to point out a couple of things (and I'm probably going to be hated a lot but whatever):

First, whenever you have stats of whatever you're doing you start focusing more on those stats rather than the process itself. And it applies not only to biking but basically everything where stats can be involved. I feel like by doing so people often forget the real joy of cycling and get crazy obsessed with those little numbers. I mean, unless you're a serious racer and attend some competitions, do you actually benefit from those stats? Of course, you can check your progress and stuff, but all in all, it's like trying to beat a Formula 1 track with a Toyota Corolla - no matter how fast you go you will never compare to the pros racing on the track.

Second, I see a lot of people saying that they can't go cycling without their computer. If you're really a fan of cycling, does it really make a big difference if one of your rides will stay unrecorded? It seems that way too many people use these stats to brag about how far they went or how high they climbed. I've always thought that cycling was about personal experience and not another 'oh look how much I can lift' thing.

Once again, this rant will probably get ignored by most but I really hope that someone will take some time and think about why have they bought their bike in the first place. Stay peaceful and keep on cycling!
Old 07-27-16, 10:14 AM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by martynaaas
There are two types of bikers - those who ride for stats and those who ride for fun. I personally never had a bike computer so I might not be eligible enough to comment but I still want to point out a couple of things (and I'm probably going to be hated a lot but whatever):

First, whenever you have stats of whatever you're doing you start focusing more on those stats rather than the process itself. And it applies not only to biking but basically everything where stats can be involved. I feel like by doing so people often forget the real joy of cycling and get crazy obsessed with those little numbers. I mean, unless you're a serious racer and attend some competitions, do you actually benefit from those stats? Of course, you can check your progress and stuff, but all in all, it's like trying to beat a Formula 1 track with a Toyota Corolla - no matter how fast you go you will never compare to the pros racing on the track.

Second, I see a lot of people saying that they can't go cycling without their computer. If you're really a fan of cycling, does it really make a big difference if one of your rides will stay unrecorded? It seems that way too many people use these stats to brag about how far they went or how high they climbed. I've always thought that cycling was about personal experience and not another 'oh look how much I can lift' thing.

Once again, this rant will probably get ignored by most but I really hope that someone will take some time and think about why have they bought their bike in the first place. Stay peaceful and keep on cycling!
there is a third type of rider, one who rides for fun and stats. i keep the computer on my bike and use it for motivation during pure fitness rides. the rest of the time or just on fun rides i rarely glance at it. i don't record my rides but i can see that being a valuable tool for someone on a serious fitness bend.
Old 07-27-16, 12:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Only one is on my touring Bike and if I'm not on a tour, I don't even Put a battery In It.

Dont need no GPS either , . but nobody can read Maps anymore ..
Old 07-27-16, 02:00 PM
Bike Life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No bike computer you mean you never once wondered how fast you were going when you tore down the back side of old ball buster hill? I have one 20 mile training loop I've been trying to get around in 1 hour for years but have never quite made it. When I do I want to know about it.
Old 07-27-16, 02:35 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a simple Cateye Padrone. I keep a maintenance log so the mileage figures come in handy. I like to know how many miles I am getting out of tires, cassettes, etc. and even cycling gloves. I do look at mileage at the end of the ride.
Old 07-27-16, 02:57 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Translation: there are two types of cyclists, those who do things my way, and everybody else.

Translation: Cycling is about being slow, and not knowing where you're going, or remembering where you've been. The "joy" of cycling is an undefined abstract, and people who make any effort at all to ride faster or climb more are wasting their time.

Translation: My own personal opinion is a wholly enclosed reality, where anyone else is either like me, or insane. Cycling is a "personal experience," so long as that personal experience is in line with mine, otherwise it is basically wasting time.

Riding with a computer doesn't mean I ride strictly for the numbers. If I didn't enjoy riding, I wouldn't do it at all. I don't track my numbers to be faster or "better" than anyone other than myself. You are aware that it is possible to be goal oriented and have fun at the same time, right? Some people, myself included, are motivated by having a goal. Some days I just ride around the neighborhood. Some days I climb mountains. The fact that all of these rides are recorded on Strava in no way diminishes their "purity." My personal experience includes recording rides and looking over the data after the ride is over.
Old 07-27-16, 03:52 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Life
what do you do with the data?
Old 07-27-16, 07:07 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I did not intend to stir the pot. I just felt free not worrying about speed or distance.
Old 07-27-16, 07:22 PM
Bike Life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
what do you do with the data?

Sometimes I will look back to see when the last time I rode a century ride was or what route I took to get from Point A to B and compare the new route I have found. A lot of my local routes get boring so I'll try and switch them around like maybe ride them in reverse and see which way was fastest. Sometimes I will look at notes to see if I should bother going somewhere I have been before, the notes might say the road sucked. The DATA isn't used for any scientific research. Someday when I'm to old to ride I'll dig out my note books and add up how many miles I rode over a lifetime. I don't know about adding up the hours in the saddle, that might freak me out that I spent that much time on a bike!

Last edited by Bike Life; 07-27-16 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-27-16, 07:25 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

One I like to do is find a ride I had done last year, then re-ride the exact route to see if I'm any faster or slower. I will on occasion set the Virtual Partner on my Garmin to the avg. pace from the original ride, to see how I'm matching up mile-by-mile. It's... dare I say... fun.
Old 07-27-16, 09:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Is this like those endless analog vs digital photography things? Hey, I'm a lifelong film buff but it's not a religion. In the end, it's about the image, not the process or materials.

I don't have a cycling computer mounted on the bars but I do run an app on the iPhone, which sits in a handlebar bag or my pocket. I don't watch it while I'm riding. I'm not fast enough to worry about it. But I do enjoy tracking my slight progress over a period of months and re-riding the same routes.

To me, it's the ride, not the process.
Old 07-28-16, 01:09 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
There are two types of bikers - those who ride for stats and those who ride for fun.
Why can't a cyclist do both?
Old 07-28-16, 02:52 AM
martynaaas

Bikes: Cube Editor

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Translation: there are two types of cyclists, those who do things my way, and everybody else.

Translation: Cycling is about being slow, and not knowing where you're going, or remembering where you've been. The "joy" of cycling is an undefined abstract, and people who make any effort at all to ride faster or climb more are wasting their time.

Translation: My own personal opinion is a wholly enclosed reality, where anyone else is either like me, or insane. Cycling is a "personal experience," so long as that personal experience is in line with mine, otherwise it is basically wasting time.

Riding with a computer doesn't mean I ride strictly for the numbers. If I didn't enjoy riding, I wouldn't do it at all. I don't track my numbers to be faster or "better" than anyone other than myself. You are aware that it is possible to be goal oriented and have fun at the same time, right? Some people, myself included, are motivated by having a goal. Some days I just ride around the neighborhood. Some days I climb mountains. The fact that all of these rides are recorded on Strava in no way diminishes their "purity." My personal experience includes recording rides and looking over the data after the ride is over.
Just like I predicted - people are going mad about this. This is my personal opinion and you don't need to "translate" it sarcastically. We get it, you like to follow your stats and that's fine. I have a different point of view about cycling and the world didn't stop because of that so let's just go our own ways. I never understood why people are trying to bite you when they don't agree with something you say - just ignore it and keep scrolling. There's enough room for all of us in this forum
Old 07-28-16, 08:14 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

So what you're saying, in effect, is that it is perfectly acceptable for you to voice your personal opinion, but anyone who dissents should simply "ignore it and keep scrolling." Someone needs to bring you a ladder so you can get over yourself.

I mean, the notion that there is some fundamental disconnnect between riding with a Garmin and having fun is just absurd. I'm not made about anything, I'm just pointing out that you're wrong.
Old 07-28-16, 08:21 AM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what you're saying, in effect, is that it is perfectly acceptable for you to voice your personal opinion, but anyone who dissents should simply "ignore it and keep scrolling." Someone needs to bring you a ladder so you can get over yourself.

I mean, the notion that there is some fundamental disconnnect between riding with a Garmin and having fun is just absurd. I'm not made about anything, I'm just pointing out that you're wrong.

When I cycle I need to have stats. I just did 43 miles, its my longest ride ever. I could have just say I rode x miles today then nobody would know what I am saying.

Killary also says "what does it matter"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.