Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nashbar Touring Bike Build

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-18, 12:31 PM
pkniland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello to all.
I have always been a mountain bike guy and just recently picked up an old Nashbar Touring bike that the plan is to strip down, repaint, and modestly upgrade. Bike came with Shimano 105 group set, Tektro inline brakes, FSA Velro 30/39/50, shimano 11-36 , Mavic Open Sport with 28C continentals on it. The front fork was pretty rough so my plan was to get a new fork and headset. I got the bike stripped down and go the headset removed. This is my first threaded fork Ive worked on but everything came apart pretty easy. I went to research fork/headset combos and quickly got confused. The measurements on my head tube do not seem to match and headset I can find. The headtube has two flared cups, one on the top, and one on the bottom. The cup on the top has an ID of 39.4, the cup on the bottom has a ID of 42.06. The depth of the top cup is 7.15 and the depth of the lower is 9.89. I am looking for advise of possible headset fork combos that might work. It wont let me attach any pictures currently, but I will as soon as I have enough posts.
Old 07-05-18, 01:19 PM
pkniland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for putting this in the correct place Stan
Old 07-05-18, 02:34 PM
longtemp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Japan and Europe 1 inch headsets are different. Japan is JIS and Europe is ISO.
Park Tool Headset Standards for Threaded: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eadset-service

Park Tool Headset Standards for headtube measurements: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...dset-standards

Last edited by longtemp; 07-05-18 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 07:38 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by pkniland
Hello to all.
I have always been a mountain bike guy and just recently picked up an old Nashbar Touring bike that the plan is to strip down, repaint, and modestly upgrade. Bike came with Shimano 105 group set, Tektro inline brakes, FSA Velro 30/39/50, shimano 11-36 , Mavic Open Sport with 28C continentals on it. The front fork was pretty rough so my plan was to get a new fork and headset. I got the bike stripped down and go the headset removed. This is my first threaded fork Ive worked on but everything came apart pretty easy. I went to research fork/headset combos and quickly got confused. The measurements on my head tube do not seem to match and headset I can find. The headtube has two flared cups, one on the top, and one on the bottom. The cup on the top has an ID of 39.4, the cup on the bottom has a ID of 42.06. The depth of the top cup is 7.15 and the depth of the lower is 9.89. I am looking for advise of possible headset fork combos that might work. It wont let me attach any pictures currently, but I will as soon as I have enough posts.
I have no idea what dimension those are, but they don't sound the dimensions of the frame or the fork steerer tube, but measurements of where the headset bearings go.

Is this bike metallic green? Aluminum, steel?
Old 07-05-18, 08:39 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Are the bearing races worn to the point where they need replacement? If not, just re-pack with fresh balls and grease and be happy.
Old 07-05-18, 11:13 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
@pkniland Can't wait to see pictures. You could try welcoming some newcomers in the introductions subforum.
Old 07-06-18, 12:40 PM
pkniland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I have no idea what dimension those are, but they don't sound the dimensions of the frame or the fork steerer tube, but measurements of where the headset bearings go.

Is this bike metallic green? Aluminum, steel?
Bike is black steel. Those are the dimensions of where the headset bearing go. The inside of the steering tube is measuring 27mm.
Old 07-06-18, 12:42 PM
pkniland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Are the bearing races worn to the point where they need replacement? If not, just re-pack with fresh balls and grease and be happy.

Yea, lower race is pretty badly pitted. Upper is ok but I would like to replace it all.
Old 07-06-18, 12:43 PM
pkniland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
@pkniland Can't wait to see pictures. You could try welcoming some newcomers in the introductions subforum.

I hope to get pictures up today but it limits me to 5 posts in a 24hr pierod and I can’t post pics till I get to 10 posts
Old 07-06-18, 12:48 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Have you tried contacting Nashbar? Their support staff is moderately responsive.
Old 07-06-18, 01:00 PM
Kontact 

Bike is black steel. Those are the dimensions of where the headset bearing go. The inside of the steering tube is measuring 27mm.
The dimension of the inside of the replaceable headset isn't going to tell you anything about the frame or fork, just how the headset was designed.

The inside of the fork steerer tube being 27mm doesn't ring any bells. Standard 1 1/8" steerers are closer to 25.4 on the inside, but maybe that's what you have.

The dimensions you need are the outside diameter of the fork steerer (probably 28.6mm) and the inside diameter of the head tube after you've knocked the headset cups out. Finally, you need to choose whether you want threaded fork and headset or threadless. 1" threaded forks are easy to find, 1 1/8" threaded forks, despite some popularity at one time, much harder. Threadless is no problem.

You almost certainly have a 1 1/8" or 1" frame, and either of those are easy to find headsets and forks for. You'll also need to figure out the axle to crown length of your old fork to get a suitable replacement, as well as the rake and brake type. But we can figure that out later.
Old 07-06-18, 01:38 PM
pkniland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The dimension of the inside of the replaceable headset isn't going to tell you anything about the frame or fork, just how the headset was designed.

The inside of the fork steerer tube being 27mm doesn't ring any bells. Standard 1 1/8" steerers are closer to 25.4 on the inside, but maybe that's what you have.

The dimensions you need are the outside diameter of the fork steerer (probably 28.6mm) and the inside diameter of the head tube after you've knocked the headset cups out. Finally, you need to choose whether you want threaded fork and headset or threadless. 1" threaded forks are easy to find, 1 1/8" threaded forks, despite some popularity at one time, much harder. Threadless is no problem.

You almost certainly have a 1 1/8" or 1" frame, and either of those are easy to find headsets and forks for. You'll also need to figure out the axle to crown length of your old fork to get a suitable replacement, as well as the rake and brake type. But we can figure that out later.

With the cups knocked out it measures it measures 42mm on the bottom and 39 on top. Those are inside dimensions with the bearings out. Once I get pictures up I think it will make more sense

The fork that came out is a 1” threaded fork, plan is to go back with a 1” Threadless.
Old 07-06-18, 01:45 PM
Kontact 

With the cups knocked out it measures it measures 42mm on the bottom and 39 on top. Those are inside dimensions with the bearings out. Once I get pictures up I think it will make more sense

The fork that came out is a 1” threaded fork, plan is to go back with a 1” Threadless.
With the cups removed, or the bearing removed from the cups? It sounds like you are measuring the headset cups, not the frame. The frame is painted, the headset cups are likely silver or black metal, and are pressed into the frame.

If the fork is 1", how was the inside of it 27mm?

Last edited by Kontact; 07-06-18 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-06-18, 05:07 PM
pkniland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the cups removed, or the bearing removed from the cups? It sounds like you are measuring the headset cups, not the frame. The frame is painted, the headset cups are likely silver or black metal, and are pressed into the frame.

If the fork is 1", how was the inside of it 27mm?

the steering tube tube flares out at the top and bottom. This is where the bearings were seated. They are attached to the frame and can not be removed. The steering tube is 1”, the inside of the head tube is 27. Pics coming as soon as I’m able
Old 07-06-18, 05:57 PM
Kontact 

the steering tube tube flares out at the top and bottom. This is where the bearings were seated. They are attached to the frame and can not be removed. The steering tube is 1”, the inside of the head tube is 27. Pics coming as soon as I’m able
I'm willing to bet that you just don't realize they are removable because they are pressed in, but I'd be happy to be wrong and see something truly weird.
Old 07-07-18, 01:56 PM
pkniland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm willing to bet that you just don't realize they are removable because they are pressed in, but I'd be happy to be wrong and see something truly weird.
Its possible but I didn’t see any separation between cup and headtube.
Old 07-07-18, 02:04 PM
pkniland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ten
Old 07-07-18, 02:06 PM
pkniland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 07-07-18, 02:10 PM
pkniland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-07-18, 02:29 PM
Kontact 

Like I said, those aren't part of the frame, those are pressed in headset cups. You hammer them out and they get replaced when you buy the new headset. They look like this when removed:

You were measuring the inside diameters of a part you're going to throw away. You need the inside diameter of the headtube when they are out. It should be 30.2mm. Then you'll buy an "ISO" or standard 1" headset and a 700c touring fork with a 26.4 crown to match. At which point you might decide to go threadless for both fork and headset, which I think is easier and a little lighter.
Old 07-07-18, 10:14 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Use a headset remover or a long straight blade screwdriver, knock out the old cups. Measure again and start plugging numbers into here: https://blue.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

Or, put your local bike shop to work and let them get you something that will work. Or at least remove the cups for you.
Old 07-08-18, 11:35 AM
tcpasley

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronsonic
Use a headset remover or a long straight blade screwdriver, knock out the old cups. Measure again and start plugging numbers into here: https://blue.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

Or, put your local bike shop to work and let them get you something that will work. Or at least remove the cups for you.
You can make your own headset cup remover from a piece of copper tubing.

Dave Moulton's Blog - Dave Moulton's Bike Blog - Headset Removal and Replacement

1 inch threadless headsets and forks are getting harder to find. They are out there, but your choices are limited.
Old 07-08-18, 02:09 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by tcpasley
1 inch threadless headsets and forks are getting harder to find. They are out there, but your choices are limited.
You can only get 1" threadless headsets from Miche, Cane Creek, Ritchey, Chris King, VP, Origin 8 and Promax. They start around $17.
Old 07-08-18, 03:42 PM
pkniland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. I guess since the powder coat was was over the headtube and the cups I thought it was all integrated into the frame. I’ve been out out town this weekend but I’m going to give it a shot when I get back
Old 07-08-18, 04:46 PM
pkniland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well how bout that... 30 dead top, 30.02 bottom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.