Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eddy Merckx Corsa ID help needed!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 09:55 AM
2_be_us

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Professional, Gazelle Champion Mondial, Bianchi XR2 and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi all!

I recently acquired this Eddy Merckx Corsa:
EDDY MERCKX CORSA by 2beus | PhotobucketI bought it as a complete bike, but has since then taken it apart. I’ve had lots of steel frames over the years but this is my first Merckx and I’m really exited about trying it out. Part of the joy for me when buying a “new” bike is to find out its history, but with this frame I’m having some trouble and that’s why I could really need some help.

I’ve been comparing the serial# (A2-3990-E) on my frame against other serial numbers on cadre.org and it seems like Merckx bikes with an “E” at the end of the serial# are either from 95/96 or from the early 80’s. The fact that my frame has got cable routing over the bottom bracket would rule out the 90’s and confirm that the frame is from the early 80’s. I’m I right to think this, and if so, is there any way to find out a more exact year of manufacture?

Also, I assume that the “original paintwork” decal and the lack of a tubing decal would suggest that the frame has been repainted? The paintjob looks 90’s to me but I haven’t been able to find another bike from the 90’s with this paintjob. I’m hoping someone can tell me more about the paintjob and perhaps provide me with some educated guesses regarding what tubing might have been used.

I’m also a bit confused to why the serial number on this frame starts with an “A” when Corsas generally have a “C” as the first letter (again, according to cadre.org).

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Tobias
Old 08-29-18, 10:45 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
lots of anomalies on that frame. Does the fork have a matching serial number?

All signs point to early 80's, except paint. Factory repaint?
Old 08-29-18, 11:13 AM
2_be_us

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Professional, Gazelle Champion Mondial, Bianchi XR2 and more.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jiangshi
lots of anomalies on that frame. Does the fork have a matching serial number?

All signs point to early 80's, except paint. Factory repaint?
Thanks for the reply! I need to check the fork for serial number, forgot about that today. Do you think the fork might be later than the frame?
Old 08-29-18, 11:33 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

The fork *maybe* newer, but that design was available early on. I would also check the ST & HT angles. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Professional, not a Corsa.

Old 08-29-18, 11:45 AM
2_be_us

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That's interesting! The "A" in the serial would according to cadre suggest that it started its life as a Professional. What would be the difference between a Professional and a Corsa in terms of HT and ST angles?
Old 08-29-18, 11:56 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

I believe (not sure) that the Professional has steeper angles than the Corsa, Corsa a bit more laid back on the ST. I have always preferred Professionals.
Old 08-29-18, 12:01 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Definitely early 80's, somewhere between 81 and 84 I would guess. My experience with Merckx serial numbers is that they were not always applied sequentially, so it can be difficult to pin down precise dates.
Pretty sure that over the BB cable routing was prior to the Corsa/Corsa Extra designation, so could well be a Professional. Fork would be period correct, both the sloping and flat crowns were available. Sometimes the steerer has information on it regarding the frame it was paired with, but if it's a respray, that may not be present (on one of my Merckx frames of the same period, there was a piece of paper with this information taped to the steerer).
Definitely a respray, in 'Corsa 01' style, and those decals probably came along as a full sheet. Might be a factory respray, but the infills look pretty amateurish to me. Chrome is in good shape, rare for a Merckx frame of that age.

While it's torn down, check the steer tube and seat tube above the bottom bracket for the helical reinforcements that would indicate Columbus SL tubing.

Nice frame. is it 62cm? The 2 on the DS stamping would indicate either 52 or 62...

Last edited by rccardr; 08-29-18 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-29-18, 12:22 PM
2_be_us

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rccardr
Definitely early 80's, somewhere between 81 and 84 I would guess. My experience with Merckx serial numbers is that they were not always applied sequentially, so it can be difficult to pin down precise dates.
Pretty sure that over the BB cable routing was prior to the Corsa/Corsa Extra designation, so could well be a Professional. Fork would be period correct, both the sloping and flat crowns were available. Sometimes the steerer has information on it regarding the frame it was paired with, but if it's a respray, that may not be present (on one of my Merckx frames of the same period, there was a piece of paper with this information taped to the steerer).
Definitely a respray, in 'Corsa 01' style, and those decals probably came along as a full sheet. Might be a factory respray, but the infills look pretty amateurish to me. Chrome is in good shape, rare for a Merckx frame of that age.

While it's torn down, check the steer tube and seat tube above the bottom bracket for the helical reinforcements that would indicate Columbus SL tubing.

Nice frame. is it 62cm? The 2 on the DS stamping would indicate either 52 or 62...
Thanks, very informative! I will definitelly take a closer look at the fork and the inside of the frame tomorrow. It would be interesting to know why someone would respray a Professional as a Corsa, but that will remain a mystery i guess. The frame is a 62cm. it might be a bit large for me, but hopefully I can make it work.

I believe (not sure) that the Professional has steeper angles than the Corsa, Corsa a bit more laid back on the ST. I have always preferred Professionals.
Cool, thanks! I will do some more research regarding the angles on the Professionals vs Carsas.
Old 08-29-18, 01:00 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

The Portacatena dropout is interesting.
Old 08-29-18, 01:31 PM
2_be_us

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The Portacatena dropout is interesting.
Wow, I had to read up on that, had never heard of Portacatena dropouts before. I'm learning new things in every post here. Thanks! I doubt i will install a chain-holder though.
Old 04-30-19, 01:51 PM
CyclesMakaron

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Hi! this is Eddy Merckx 1982 (the name "Professional" is not official), Columbus SL, repainted at the Merckx factory in the 90s. A2 E3990 means: A - designation of an employee responsible for preparation of the chroming / painting frame (A is not a model / tube type designation - it appears in the years 1980 - 1989 on every Merckx model), 2 - 52 or 62 cm seat tube, E - the first "letter" EM series of bicycle frames 1981-1984 (in 1980 the series "letterless" was produced, there never was an E series from 94/95), 3990 ~ summer 1982. Corsa appeared at the earliest in 1985 and had the same geometry from Eddy Merckx 1981-1986. The numbering and marking of the EM frames is continuous and logical - in case of any problems, I will help you best regards - Jacek
Old 05-06-19, 01:18 AM
2_be_us

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CyclesMakaron
Hi! this is Eddy Merckx 1982 (the name "Professional" is not official), Columbus SL, repainted at the Merckx factory in the 90s. A2 E3990 means: A - designation of an employee responsible for preparation of the chroming / painting frame (A is not a model / tube type designation - it appears in the years 1980 - 1989 on every Merckx model), 2 - 52 or 62 cm seat tube, E - the first "letter" EM series of bicycle frames 1981-1984 (in 1980 the series "letterless" was produced, there never was an E series from 94/95), 3990 ~ summer 1982. Corsa appeared at the earliest in 1985 and had the same geometry from Eddy Merckx 1981-1986. The numbering and marking of the EM frames is continuous and logical - in case of any problems, I will help you best regards - Jacek
Thank you very much! That was very informative. It’s great to finally know what I have here. Do you know anything about the re-paints that was done in the Merckx factory? I’m a bit curious to why one would choose to paint a non Corsa bike as a Corsa. Personally I would use the original paint scheme if I would do a re-paint, if possible. But maybe the person who owned it didn’t have that option in the 90’s? Thanks!
Old 05-06-19, 01:20 AM
2_be_us

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CyclesMakaron
Thank you very much! That was very informative. It’s great to finally know what I have here. Do you know anything about the re-paints that was done in the Merckx factory? I’m a bit curious to why one would choose to paint a non Corsa bike as a Corsa. Personally I would use the original paint scheme if I would do a re-paint. But maybe the person who owned it didn’t have that option in the 90’s? Thanks!
Old 05-06-19, 01:54 AM
CyclesMakaron

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Hi! reason 1: destroyed old paint coat - we renew the frame with currently available paints; reason 2: we think that the original painting is "unfashionable" and we order the latest or the best Corsa was a direct successor (continuator) EM (Professional) - practically changed only minor details - Best Regards - Jacek