Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Medicare Card- do you carry the original?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 07:21 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

I posted here because it really didn't seem to fit in Pills& Ills.
Do you carry the original or a copy?
Thanks!
Old 12-12-18, 07:33 AM
skycomag

Bikes: Nashbar trekking bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
make a color copy. I need to use mine twice for injuries.
Old 12-12-18, 08:29 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Your Medicare number is all most providers need. They will look up your status on the computer. The more important part is a photo ID.
Old 12-12-18, 11:06 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Made a color copy, laminated it and carry with me. The original is with all other important papers. Nice and Safe. I do have an interactive Road ID as well so all medical information is available to first responders if needed. Oh and since I have both CHF and an ICD I carry all my medical records in pdf files on a pen drive attached to my keys as my wife and I travel around a lot.
Old 12-12-18, 04:10 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
I have one page with front and back color copies of my DL, Insurance card, credit card, and my doctor's business card... with emergency contacts. Folded up in my bike wallet. And a statement that I'm not on any medication and don't have any allergies.
Old 12-12-18, 08:58 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
On my old Medicare card that was Social Security number based, I made a copy and blacked out the last four digits. When I used it, I told the person those four digits. Now that I have a card that is not using my Social Security number(new cards are being issued now to everyone), I just carry the original.
Old 12-12-18, 09:24 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
They say to present the original for care - but I'll be on a Medicare advantage plan as of the start of the new year so will present that card for care. Will probably carry both.
Old 12-12-18, 09:36 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
You can login to the Medicare website and get a B&W image of your Medicare card to print.
That is what I had to use for my initial physical, because they never sent me the original card, even though they sent me silly repeated emails announcing it was coming.
I eventually used the website to request a replacement card, which they did send.
Old 12-13-18, 05:06 PM
Litespeedlouie

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I don't qualify for one yet, but when taking care of my elderly dad, I had scans of all his medical cards/info on my phone. This was acceptable at several normal and ER visits - they just verify it all on their computer anyway.

I alway carry my full wallet on rides anyway, in a ziplock, but tend to have scan copies on my phone, too (front and backs of cards). The phone comes on rides too, of course.

Last edited by Litespeedlouie; 12-13-18 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 06:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I managed my mom's medical needs for more than a decade. After her initial intake workup nobody at her primary medical facility ever asked for her Medicare card. She still had her original, then the two variations since then. Whenever she checked into her primary medical facility they only asked for her photo ID.

It's possible she would have been asked to present her Medicare card if she went outside her usual medical system, but if they did it would probably be for the original or government issued version, not a copy. That might depend on the state, however. Texas has gone through a weird phase of conflicting and contradictory ID requirements over the past decade. Some proofs they used to accept were rejected, and some new proofs of identification were ... unusual. But it had more to do with paranoia over voting and citizenship than with eligibility for Medicare/Medicaid/SSN, etc.
Old 12-13-18, 07:17 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeedlouie
I don't qualify for one yet, but when taking care of my elderly dad, I had scans of all his medical cards/info on my phone. This was acceptable at several normal and ER visits - they just verify it all on their computer anyway.

I alway carry my full wallet on rides anyway, in a ziplock, but tend to have scan copies on my phone, too (front and backs of cards). The phone comes on rides too, of course.
Pretty much the chain of ID verification is your photo ID to insure you are you, then they take card ID's and check eligibility on-line and pretty much immediate these days. It wasn't long ago that realtime response was a dream.
Administration gets really laborious in cases where a couple or family has coverage under two employers, just short of a nightmare! There are different rules based on the employer to determine who's coverage is primary and who's is secondary. It might, or was in some cases, gender based and in some cases it was birth date. The administrative costs associated with our current healthcare system is staggering.
Old 12-14-18, 12:06 AM
John00

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Only time I was asked for my card was a few months ago at Costco for my flu shot. I belong to a Medicare advantage plan and they've sent me several plastic membership cards, I carry one with an old drivers license, emergency contact phone numbers, my doctor's business card and $10 in a sealed plastic sleeve. I automatically slip it into a back pocket of my jersey whenever I go for a ride.
Old 12-14-18, 11:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
It depends on what kind of medical coverage you have. I for instance have Medicare advantage ins, and have been instructed NOT to carry my Medicare card, and instead carry my Advantage card.