Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need Mafac Racer Lever Help.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 06:52 AM
buddiiee 

Bikes: 70's Nuovo Record Jeunet Franche Compte, '88 105 Trek 1200, '85 Victory Bianchi Vittoria, '89 Exage Bianchi Strada LX, '11 Shimano Masi Partenza

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts

Need new hoods for my Mafac Racer levers. Rustines sells Mafac hoods but they don't know if they'll fit Racer levers. Anyone here purchase repro hoods for their Mafac Racers lately?

Old 05-01-19, 07:25 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by buddiiee
Need new hoods for my Mafac Racer levers. Rustines sells Mafac hoods but they don't know if they'll fit Racer levers. Anyone here purchase repro hoods for their Mafac Racers lately?
I bought Cane Creek hoods for my Mafac Racer levers. With a little adjustment, they fit quite well. I used some dish soapy water to slide em on. If you find that the levers have too far of a reach, there is a nifty DIY fix in this thread involving some rubber innertube (that's what I am going to try).

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/969584-way-mafac-racer-1.html
Old 05-01-19, 07:41 AM
buddiiee 

Bikes: 70's Nuovo Record Jeunet Franche Compte, '88 105 Trek 1200, '85 Victory Bianchi Vittoria, '89 Exage Bianchi Strada LX, '11 Shimano Masi Partenza

Any pics by chance? I'm not sure which levers I have at the moment (I'm at work) but I think they're the Drilliums; though could that just be a name for another set of Mafac levers that were just drilled out and renamed?

Old 05-01-19, 09:07 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Yes, they fit, just like the originals. MAFAC didn't make tons of different levers like Shimano. They're basically all the same. There is a pretty big caveat however. If you have older levers that originally had half hoods, those will work best with half hoods, because they hold the cable ends in place. The full 'normal' hoods are meant for later versions of Mafac brake levers. They switched sometime in the 70s I believe. The later levers had a bigger adjuster ferrule thing that tended to stay put. They will work with older levers also, but the cable ends can pop out of place if you climb hard on the levers, which is disconcerting.

If they are drilled out they are the later levers that are meant to use full hoods.
Old 05-01-19, 09:59 AM
buddiiee 

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Yes, they fit, just like the originals. MAFAC didn't make tons of different levers like Shimano. They're basically all the same. There is a pretty big caveat however. If you have older levers that originally had half hoods, those will work best with half hoods, because they hold the cable ends in place. The full 'normal' hoods are meant for later versions of Mafac brake levers. They switched sometime in the 70s I believe. The later levers had a bigger adjuster ferrule thing that tended to stay put. They will work with older levers also, but the cable ends can pop out of place if you climb hard on the levers, which is disconcerting.

If they are drilled out they are the later levers that are meant to use full hoods.
Yayyyy. Cool, can't wait to try them. I had won a NOS set of those levers with hoods about 5 years ago, and when I started to look at them closer they're getting hard and starting to crack. It's cool, at least I got to ride an NOS set of those hoods a while before they started cracking. Can't wait to try the Rustines

Old 05-01-19, 10:13 AM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Rustines work great on the old style (first picture) - I don't know if cane creek hoods will work on these because the lever is thinner (vertically)

I also have a pair of newer Mafac levers (plastic body) that have an integrated adjuster (unlike these that screw into the hood) - Cane creek hoods work on those (see second picture below)

Old 05-01-19, 10:24 AM
buddiiee 

Oh no! The drilled levers on the bottom aren't plastic bodies are they????

(but dam those stronglight cranks are soo sexy.... had a pista set on my track bike the 'paris sport' when I used to ride track as a child; miss those things)

Last edited by buddiiee; 05-01-19 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 10:39 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by jcb3
Rustines work great on the old style (first picture) - I don't know if cane creek hoods will work on these because the lever is thinner (vertically)

I also have a pair of newer Mafac levers (plastic body) that have an integrated adjuster (unlike these that screw into the hood) - Cane creek hoods work on those (see second picture below)

Interesting. My levers, purchased 1978, looked like those except the metal of the levers was not wrapped around. It formed a "U" if you cut it in cross section. (Like the last two inches of your levers but all the way back to the pivots.) Looked perhaps better but chafed my middle finger badly when I climbed. The lever sported bar tape wrapped round it for years, secured with a sailor's whipping. My hands would have loved your levers. In fact my hands liked the old beat up Racer levers on my UO-8 fix gear far better.

Edit: I think the bodies of mine were aluminum. Funny, I don't really remember. In any case. they held up really well. Rode those levers from 1979 to 1995 and around 25,000 miles. Were as good as new when I took them off. (Sadly the edges that chafed my fingers hadn't softened at all!)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 05-01-19 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 02:43 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
If you want half-hoods VO has them, but they are pricey.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...c-brake-levers
Old 05-01-19, 02:58 PM
buddiiee 

Oh no! The drilled levers on the bottom aren't plastic bodies are they????

(but dam those stronglight cranks are soo sexy.... had a pista set on my track bike the 'paris sport' when I used to ride track as a child; miss those things)
DAM!!! My drilled levers are PLASTIC... I'm selling these things lol

Old 05-01-19, 05:08 PM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I ran the plastic ones for a while and had no problems.

Some are wary of the plastic bodies but the Mafacs generate so much braking leverage with little pull effort (if the straddle is set up properly) that I never felt I was taxing the levers

I’m talking tubular glue melting performance with single finger pull
Old 05-02-19, 06:10 AM
buddiiee 

Oh I know lol. I've rode these Mafac Racers on this frame since '85 lol. New school people just don't know the power of these brakes. I don't care how fast you're going or how heavy you are these will lock the wheels up on demand any time, any where, AND with decent modulation as well. I LOVE to listen to the "disc brakes are the best bike brakes ever invented" people lol. Yea, have fun with bleeding your brakes, and brake fluid, and all this other wayyyyyyyy too complicated unnecessary brake crap lol. My brakes are rock solid and a 9 year old can work on them lol.

Old 05-02-19, 08:36 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
If you want half-hoods VO has them, but they are pricey.
And what do they charge to ship? $12?

At least go to ebay and get free shipping.
Old 05-02-19, 05:35 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine

I can think of three drop bar styles right off.
The "half hood" type, with and without quick release.
the later full hood
The plastic no hood