Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Broken Axle

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Raleigh Broken Axle

Old 08-04-19, 07:30 PM
cruzin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Broken Axle

I have a Raleigh Sprite (made in Taiwan) and the rear axle broke. The axle is M10 x 1.0 threading and 175mm long. The bike has 126mm dropouts. I don't know if it's supposed to unscrew but I haven't been able to get the hub(?) off of the axle. So I've been searching the internet for a compatible hub axle set but without success.

1. Anyone know where I can get an M10 hub axle set? The few that I've come across haven't been the right length.

2. I've found a few that have 3/8" diameter axles. One example is Amazon part# B0012ZOTQ8 which has the right lengths assuming the 126 refers to the drop-out width. Amazon part# B001CC4E3O is another one. Can I use something like one of these?

3. It's more than I'd like to spend on this bike right now, at least until I get the bottom bracket fixed, but I may eventually replace the 27's with 700c wheels.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-04-19, 08:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
At 175mm long I suspect the axle is a nutted securement type, VS a QR one. To reuse the OEM cones and locknuts you need to maintain the axle threading spec, 10x1. To change out the cones you'll want to compare the potential new to the OEM for the ball track's dimensions (minimal diameter and curvature). This is hard to do without both new and old in hand.

Wheels Manufacturing axle #20 fits the bill although at 187mm long a little bit will extend beyond the axle nuts unless it's cut down. If your LBS has an account with QBP their part number is HU6104.

Before getting the axle do check the hub's races and cones, as riding on a broken axle can damage both. Andy
Old 08-04-19, 09:46 PM
cruzin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been able to find plenty of properly sized axles. The problem is that I can't get the cones off of my broken axle. That is why I'm looking for a complete axle set. Either in 10mm, or if it will work - 3/8" axle sets are available in the right length. Another option I just thought of is getting a 10mm set (like WheelMaster HUB AXLE Set RR WM 10x1x135x146QR8sCRMO) that is too short (and hollow) and replacing the axle with one that's long enough.
Old 08-05-19, 07:12 AM
TireLever-07

Bikes: 2009 Masi, 2014 Specialized Crossroads 1975 Schwinn Unicycle

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi, Any bike shop should be able to dig around for the axle that fits. Few places sell 27" tires. Not a great selection anyways. But Freewheels,, the bearings(left & right) are closer together than newer,, Cassette rear hubs. So freewheel axles break easier.
But swapping 27 for a 700C Wheelset. You have to lower your brake pads. If you can put the bike back together for not much more than the axle replacement, I'd do it. cheers,//
Old 08-05-19, 08:11 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzin
I've been able to find plenty of properly sized axles. The problem is that I can't get the cones off of my broken axle. Why not? What tools are you using? That is why I'm looking for a complete axle set. Or an axle and the agreeable cones, they don't need to be packaged together to go together. Either in 10mm, or if it will work - 3/8" axle sets are available in the right length. Another option I just thought of is getting a 10mm set (like WheelMaster HUB AXLE Set RR WM 10x1x135x146QR8sCRMO) that is too short (and hollow) and replacing the axle with one that's long enough.
These issues are why your LBS is a friend. They have tools and skills that the home guy usually doesn't. They also have a far better knowledge as to the compatibilities between cones and how to space the resulting "axle set" within the hub for best function. Andy