Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

3 day, 375 mile tour of PR

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 08:24 AM
Sexy_Lugs

Bikes: WebbWorks Bamboo Thai Silk, Motobacane Ti, Trek Remedy 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
3 day, 375 mile tour of PR

Good day everyone,

I would consider myself to be an average century type rider. I ride anywhere from 0 to 100+ miles a week, and complete my century rides in the 5-5:45hour range. I have signed up for the 3 day 375 mile tour of PR and have no idea how to properly train for this event. I have come up with a 4 month training plan (pic below), but honestly do not know if it is a good plan or not. Any suggestions or training ideas is much appreciated!

Old 09-03-19, 08:32 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I don't think anyone who can do a 5 hour century is an average rider. If you have no problem riding a 5 hour century, a 3 day 375 mile ride won't be too bad even if it has a lot more hills than you are accustomed to.
Old 09-03-19, 08:54 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
I don't consider you an average century rider either. But what I'm not seeing from your training plan is doing back-to-back long rides. 3 days, 375 miles means 125 miles per day. No big deal to knock out a 125 mile day given your current training. But how will you feel on the second day or the third day? The only way to know is to try it out.
Old 09-03-19, 02:17 PM
Sexy_Lugs

Bikes: WebbWorks Bamboo Thai Silk, Motobacane Ti, Trek Remedy 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Maybe I led to on with my first post. I do my centuries in that time frame, but I am hurting pretty good for that type of effort.

I do do agree that my worry is the day after the first, as it is supposedly 155 miles, and ends with a very long climb.

Being that hat this is such a long race, and it is in Jan, making it hard to train on anything but inside, what type of workouts would you suggest to get ready for this. I assume day after day is the best way to get used to that type of pain management, but is there any specific workout I could do to replicate these types of harsh days without all the time and distance?