Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Frame Damage, Di2 Problem, or My Imagination

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 09:37 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts

I picked up a 2020 Roubaix Expert almost two months ago. I love everything about the bike, except for the ride quality. After about 800 miles I started feeling lots of road chatter. Kind of like riding chip seal, but muted by 50% or a little more. This is on all road surfaces and at all speeds.

Additionally, I feel lots of "crunchiness" when in largest 5 or 6 cogs on the rear cassette. I took the bike in and the dealer's mechanic realigned the RD. I'm not sure why it would have been misaligned as the bike has not been wrecked. Whatever the case, the crunchiness is slightly better, but I don't feel this on my mechanical 105 and Ultegra bikes. And, of course, I still feel the road chatter.

Before taking the bike in, I noticed two hairline imperfections in the frame below the RD mount. I can't feel the imperfections like I would expect to if they were a crack. But I'm wondering if this might indeed be a problem. I showed these to the mechanic who replied that they were probably where the frame lugs were bonded.

Should I just harden up and ignore the road chatter? Any idea why the bike would feel so smooth for the first 800 miles and so buzzy now?

What about the Di2 crunchiness, does that sound like a problem or should I just harden up and ride?

Opinions on the frame imperfection? The looks don't bother me, but if that indicates a crack, that's a bit concerning.

Old 09-24-19, 03:46 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Those lines are just about the right place for the lug ends. Keep in mind the ends are internal on the lug. The tube fits over it. Very well could be as the wrench said. Not sure how it will look if the tube is cracking from the inside. As for a crunchy bottom few cogs, not sure what to say other than replace the cassette first, then test. If failed test, then replace chain. Only use Shimano chains and cassettes for this to ensure optimum compatibility.
Old 09-25-19, 04:08 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Those lines are just about the right place for the lug ends. Keep in mind the ends are internal on the lug. The tube fits over it. Very well could be as the wrench said. Not sure how it will look if the tube is cracking from the inside. As for a crunchy bottom few cogs, not sure what to say other than replace the cassette first, then test. If failed test, then replace chain. Only use Shimano chains and cassettes for this to ensure optimum compatibility.
Yes, it definitely appears to be in the correct location for the lug ends. My concern is the road noise and RD buzz. A crack in the seat tube like that would seem to help transmit both.

I was probably over due for a freshly waxed chain, so I installed one this morning. The crunchiness is slightly improved. But I can definitely feel what I can only describe as pulsing when in the top 2 or 3 cogs on the rear cassette. The bike has less than 1500 miles on it. It seems hard to believe the cassette would already be worn enough to feel like that.
Old 09-26-19, 05:35 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Chatter in half the gears makes me suspect tweaked RD hanger. You don't need a crash to knock them off true--just the bike falling over is enough.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 09-26-19, 06:40 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
I think you're looking at two different issues. The lines on the frame seem like they are only in the finish; I wouldn't worry about them.

The "crunchiness" is a drivetrain issue. Make sure your RD is correctly indexed - it is super easy to do it on di2. If that doesn't solve it, then offer to buy a new chain and have the shop install it -- but let them know that, if that doesn't solve the issue, you expect them to do more work and bear the expense. (Of course, this assumes that the mechanic can also sense this "crunchiness.")
Old 09-26-19, 06:52 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
See if the LBS where you bought it from will allow you to test drive a like bicycle for a few days while they evaluate yours in the meantime.

Or, possibly warranty out yours for another. If after similar duration those conditions happen with a replacement bicycle, chances are, it would be "normal" or a design flaw.
Old 09-26-19, 07:16 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Chatter in half the gears makes me suspect tweaked RD hanger. You don't need a crash to knock them off true--just the bike falling over is enough.
I just got the bike back from the dealer. The mechanic did indeed straighten the RD. I still feel the chatter in the top 3 or 4 gears.
Old 09-26-19, 07:21 AM
hagak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Has anyone looked at the FD? This sounds like a trim issue but Di2 should be doing the trim so I suspect the FD is not aligned properly.
Old 09-26-19, 07:22 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Koyote
I think you're looking at two different issues. The lines on the frame seem like they are only in the finish; I wouldn't worry about them.

The "crunchiness" is a drivetrain issue. Make sure your RD is correctly indexed - it is super easy to do it on di2. If that doesn't solve it, then offer to buy a new chain and have the shop install it -- but let them know that, if that doesn't solve the issue, you expect them to do more work and bear the expense. (Of course, this assumes that the mechanic can also sense this "crunchiness.")
I agree.

I have two chains, the one that came on the bike and another that I purchased a few days later. Together they have less than 1500 miles on them, as does the cassette. I swapped out another wheel set with a different cassette while trying to figure out the road chatter issue. I don’t recall how that cassette felt in the biggest three or four gears. I need to swap that out and try it. For that matter I don’t mind buying a new chain and new cassette...I’ll need them eventually.

The mechanic is not real friendly and I can’t get him to say much. It’s probably time to talk to management and let them communicate with the mechanic.
Old 09-26-19, 07:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I picked up a 2020 Roubaix Expert almost two months ago. I love everything about the bike, except for the ride quality.
Ride quality is right up there with fit in terms of whats important. Basically 1a and 1b, and im sure they could swap places of importance for some. I personally wouldnt want to ride a bike that doesnt ride well/fun/comfortably.
Good luck on reducing the chipseal feel.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-26-19, 07:26 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I agree.

I have two chains, the one that came on the bike and another that I purchased a few days later. Together they have less than 1500 miles on them, as does the cassette. I swapped out another wheel set with a different cassette while trying to figure out the road chatter issue. I don’t recall how that cassette felt in the biggest three or four gears. I need to swap that out and try it. For that matter I don’t mind buying a new chain and new cassette...I’ll need them eventually.

The mechanic is not real friendly and I can’t get him to say much. It’s probably time to talk to management and let them communicate with the mechanic.
If you've already dealt with the mechanic and not been satisfied, it's time to speak to the owner or manager.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-26-19, 07:29 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by hagak
Has anyone looked at the FD? This sounds like a trim issue but Di2 should be doing the trim so I suspect the FD is not aligned properly.
This is possible, but is so easy to diagnose that I didn't think of it. di2 will do trim automatically, but it only works if set up properly. FD could've gotten tweaked since OP bought the bike.

Shift out to last cog and spin the pedals, and see if the chain is rubbing on the FD cage. If so, problem solved.
Old 09-26-19, 12:03 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Koyote
This is possible, but is so easy to diagnose that I didn't think of it. di2 will do trim automatically, but it only works if set up properly. FD could've gotten tweaked since OP bought the bike.

Shift out to last cog and spin the pedals, and see if the chain is rubbing on the FD cage. If so, problem solved.
The FD has always seemed okay. I've never noticed it rubbing on either side.
Old 09-29-19, 09:24 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
In case deletion of my post fails, disregard!