Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Which used bike to choose?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-19, 08:18 AM
Kunoyu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, i am looking to buy a used bicycle for light daily commute and exercise. I came across these two at local listing but dont know much about bike.
1 is a used cheap best choice products (40miles driven) go for $20 ($120 new at walmart)
the other is a like new fds spear (which i have trouble finding the brand information or where it from) go for $100 (owner said he bought for for $300)

both are the foldup bicycles and from the look on the pictures similar to me, so do most other folding bikes except for the logo. I dont know about bicycle.

I mean is the fds spear quality’s higher enough to justify the difference? Im a short but heavy gal (170lbs) and all 26” bike I tested at walmart be too tall for me. That’s why im looking at foldup for mobility and kinda low profile.
Thank you
Old 09-29-19, 02:13 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Kunoyu
Hi, i am looking to buy a used bicycle for light daily commute and exercise. I came across these two at local listing but dont know much about bike.
1 is a used cheap best choice products (40miles driven) go for $20 ($120 new at walmart)
the other is a like new fds spear (which i have trouble finding the brand information or where it from) go for $100 (owner said he bought for for $300)

both are the foldup bicycles and from the look on the pictures similar to me, so do most other folding bikes except for the logo. I dont know about bicycle.

I mean is the fds spear quality’s higher enough to justify the difference? Im a short but heavy gal (170lbs) and all 26” bike I tested at walmart be too tall for me. That’s why im looking at foldup for mobility and kinda low profile.
Thank you
I'm 5'4" and 180, and love my old steel mountain bike commuter. I bought it used and had a mechanic rebuild it as a road bike. Big fat cushy tires and a swept back handlebar make it super comfy for my commute. I will admit I spent a fair amount of money, but it's a better bike than what I can buy new for the price. I'm not saying you should spend a lot of money too, but you can likely find a good used bike on CraigsList if you're patient and diligent about checking every day. I found mine at a pawn shop, so keep them in mind too.

You can educate yourself here and on SheldonBrown; you don't need to become an expert, but having an idea of what to look for will help you immensely. Participate in the forums, ask questions, and we'll be more than happy to help.

As for the bikes you listed, neither sounds all that great, but that's only my opinion. It would help if we knew what city you're in and how long your commute is.
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-30-19, 03:37 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Hey OP,

Do you need a folding bike? Also, do you have a local bike store? What's your budget?

I recommend:
1. Go to a local bike store to figure out what size bike works for you.
2. Get a good used. simple bike....a steel hardtail like a Specialized hard rock would be great...as would some hybrid bikes (no shocks, nothing fancy).
3. Or go to a bike coop, and ask to get a throwaway bike...and gradually rebuild it.

The Walmart bikes are generally bad. Ditto for the other one....and I'm a folding bike nut.
Old 09-30-19, 03:38 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Btw, where are you located?

Some of us will troll craigslist for fun to find bikes for new people.
Aside from a solid hybrid/mountain bike, you might also consider an English 3-speed (dutch bike).
Likes For mlau:
Old 10-02-19, 03:30 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
Hey OP,

Do you need a folding bike? Also, do you have a local bike store? What's your budget?

I recommend:
1. Go to a local bike store to figure out what size bike works for you.
2. Get a good used. simple bike....a steel hardtail like a Specialized hard rock would be great...as would some hybrid bikes (no shocks, nothing fancy).
3. Or go to a bike coop, and ask to get a throwaway bike...and gradually rebuild it.

The Walmart bikes are generally bad. Ditto for the other one....and I'm a folding bike nut.
+1

IDK where you live but there are TONS of steel, hardtail bikes on craigslist in good shape for cheap.

These are awesome because you can't break them, the frame geometry is such that you should find one that's an easy fit, and you can run really wide tires at relatively low pressures with still clearance for fenders!

The hardrock is a good expamle of one but there are also offerings from GT, Giant, Bianchi (I have one if you're near by), Trek … pretty much all the manufacturers made them and they are dirt cheap and good bikes. Just not stylish! I just picked up this one for my daughter for $40, with rack and fenders! I added only the milk crate

Last edited by davei1980; 10-02-19 at 03:35 PM.
Likes For davei1980:
Old 10-02-19, 07:34 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by davei1980
+1

IDK where you live but there are TONS of steel, hardtail bikes on craigslist in good shape for cheap.

These are awesome because you can't break them, the frame geometry is such that you should find one that's an easy fit, and you can run really wide tires at relatively low pressures with still clearance for fenders!

The hardrock is a good expamle of one but there are also offerings from GT, Giant, Bianchi (I have one if you're near by), Trek … pretty much all the manufacturers made them and they are dirt cheap and good bikes. Just not stylish! I just picked up this one for my daughter for $40, with rack and fenders! I added only the milk crate.
+eleventybillion for classic steel

Not stylish?! Speak for yourself! (Love your daughter's Crazy Horse, BTW)

Old 10-03-19, 08:33 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Korina
+eleventybillion for classic steel

Not stylish?! Speak for yourself! (Love your daughter's Crazy Horse, BTW)

I am really sorry, didn't mean that in a hurtful way, I think I meant "trendy" not "stylish" - as in, opposite of the guys who give you grief for putting your goggles on UNDER your chinstraps instead of OVER…. thanks BTW - After getting it for $40 I noticed it had really wide rims made in Belgium, the frame and shifters were made in France. The FD was broke so I just took it off and she's riding it on the middle ring for now. Friction shifters are super basic and awesome too! Way underrated.

I am a BIG fan of Specialized products and LOVE what you did with your R/H. I especially love the tire choice and the pedals.

I have a similar-spec Bianchi Incline which is full CrMo in my backyard I need to build up! But what to do with it?

Last edited by davei1980; 10-03-19 at 08:36 AM.
Likes For davei1980:
Old 10-03-19, 09:13 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by davei1980
I am really sorry, didn't mean that in a hurtful way, I think I meant "trendy" not "stylish" - as in, opposite of the guys who give you grief for putting your goggles on UNDER your chinstraps instead of OVER…. thanks BTW - After getting it for $40 I noticed it had really wide rims made in Belgium, the frame and shifters were made in France. The FD was broke so I just took it off and she's riding it on the middle ring for now. Friction shifters are super basic and awesome too! Way underrated.

I am a BIG fan of Specialized products and LOVE what you did with your R/H. I especially love the tire choice and the pedals.

I have a similar-spec Bianchi Incline which is full CrMo in my backyard I need to build up! But what to do with it?
Ride it!

No worries, I didn't take offense; should've put a in there. Also, I wear my glasses under my straps too. The word you were looking for is "classic". Crazy Horse and the Princess are classic bikes, rather than trendy. Although, I think classic is coming back into style.
Old 10-03-19, 09:34 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Korina
Crazy Horse and the Princess are classic bikes, rather than trendy. Although, I think classic is coming back into style.
"Princess" I LOVE IT LOL

And I hope you're right ;-)
Likes For davei1980: