Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is your most cherished bike ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 02:46 AM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I know some members own many bikes. I cherish virtually all of mine, each for different reasons. Still, it occurred to me that some I honestly value more than others - and it has nothing to do with their re-sale value. Surely we all have some which we consider irreplaceable for one reason or another. And this is fascinating to ponder. Bicycles are usually made of replaceable materials. Even fancy lugs can still be found or even duplicated if we have enough patience - or perhaps enough money.

Yet, I'm sure we all may have some personal favorites. Some may be exceedingly rare bikes, others simply valued for a personal sentimental attachment. Reasons can range anywhere from... was given to me by Lance after winning his 2005 TDF on it, a wedding gift, Confente's last bike made, toured the world on it, the first adult bike I ever owned, it left me paralyzed, built for me by a now deceased friend, first bike I ever built, won my first or last race on it, most comfortable bike I ever owned, custom built to my specs., I killed a guy who tried to steal it from me at gunpoint...

~ The list can go on forever, and every one has their own stories. I'd love to hear from anyone just what it is which elevates their most valued bike or bikes to that status.
Old 12-15-07, 05:57 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
All of them?

Each of my bikes has a story but if I had to chose one it would probably come down to one of my two Raleighs, either the 1971 Sports Standard that has been with me since the early 80's it literally saved my job at the time and kept me on bicycles for many years. The other would be my 1972 Raleigh Superbe which has always been a dream bike for me and due to the generosity of a fellow BF member I now have one in my size and ride it regularly.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 12-15-07 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-15-07, 07:18 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,707 Times in 2,613 Posts
Oh, man, this is like trying to decide which is your most cherished child! So don't tell my bikes what I'm about to relate: I probably have the most amount of riding time and experience with one of the lowlier bikes in my herd: a mid 60s Columbia middleweight single speed with coaster brake. I bought it in a thrift store in northern California when I lived out there, and it was my daily rider, my commuter, the bike I broke down, boxed up, and shipped out for a summer to be with me when I took a summer class, the bike I've taken on 50-mile rides and up and down many hills. Though the frame is quite small for me (I have so much seatpost sticking out that I actually bent the first one I had--and I'm only around 170 lbs), the geometry always felt just right for climbing hills and bombing down descents. Alas, the headset and steerer tube cracked at some point when it was in storage while I lived in an apartment in Boston, and while I have the parts for a fix, the Columbia hangs in my basement. At some point, I really intend to make it ride worthy again.

Neal

Old 12-15-07, 07:45 AM
abeyance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the fork design on the above bikee.

My most cherished in my Viner track bike, bought for 250 about 9 years ago. It was ridden once in the velodrome is the late 70's. It was perfect except for a pair of severely bent track drops. mNow you know why it was ridden once. Hanging in one of the mythical basements of old shops. I love shops that have been around longer than me.
Old 12-15-07, 09:14 AM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Wow that's hard to say. If my Bertoni were stolen or destroyed I'd be out the most money, if it were my Nishiki I'd be sick for a week because I love the way it looks. If something happened to my Univega I'd be devastated because it rides so nicely and I love the way it looks. But I think losing my Mongoose commuter bike would leave me the most upset. It was my first decent bike, as before that they were all department store junk. I got it almost exactly 15 years ago when I was a teenager after I had spent many months saving for it. I had a crappy department store mountain bike, but I had been reading lots of magazines and seen all of the high quality bikes in those, and I wanted one so badly! Plus I kind of needed one, as I rode all the time every single day, and my other bike was completely trashed from the abuse (which wasn't really that much). Well I got it on Christmas day, and it felt like an indestructible block of steel compared to what I was used to. I doubt I've ever been happier. And I still ride it all the time, and mainly in adverse conditions. It's been ridden in snow, mud, torrential rain, and even in water a couple of feet deep. It's been crashed countless times, including once on a bunch of boulders (I hit the ground and could hear it bouncing around on rocks! ) It's also the bike I use to haul heavy things. And yet it is the bike I depend on when I don't trust any of my others for whatever I have to ride through. I'm sure it won't last forever considering what I put it through, but so far it's not showing any signs of giving up. It's like a tough, faithful old dog.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...crop_small.jpg
Old 12-15-07, 09:21 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
If I had to give up all my bikes and keep one it would be my 1974 Paramount P10-9. Roger
Old 12-15-07, 09:23 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Either my '69 Masi Special with the first generation "no-name" Campagnolo brakes or my original '68 Cinelli SC.
Old 12-15-07, 09:41 AM
HDFACTORYCERTIF

Bikes: Alex Singer+ cheap mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of the many I have had and the ones I have now, the 1970 Alex Singer race bike is the one. After nearly 38yrs, it is still my favorite.
https://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...xSinger001.jpg
Old 12-15-07, 11:12 AM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Two bikes qualify as my most cherished because they represent different periods in my life and just the simple act of glancing at them brings back a flood of memories. The first one is my recently acquired 1965 Legnano which bears a strong likeness to my first real bicycle, a 1962 Legnano which was my constant companion in my early teens as I explored surrounding points of interest with my friends in the early 1960's. The second is my 1972 PX10 purchased new which I also rode frequently and still own. It was the bike I rode with a few friends, a couple of bicycle clubs and did my first century on. So for me it's the memories.
Old 12-15-07, 11:16 AM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I'd probably say the chrome Paramount, as it was the hardest one to find, and the bike that I had been lusting after since I was a teenager working in a shop that sold Gitanes. It represents 30+ years of bike lust.

Good thing bike lust isn't a sin.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 12-15-07, 11:26 AM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When I was about seven or eight, I learned to ride a bike by borrowing (she said "stealing") my teen-age sister's adult size beach cruiser. So that bike remains a favorite.

When I was nine, I wanted my own bike. My parents showed me a variety of nice "pre-owned" bikes, but I insisted on having a brand new Schwinn bike. On Christmas, next to the tree, was a new red Schwinn. I found out much later that my parents could not afford the bike, so they put it on a payment plan. It took them a year to pay for a one-speed kid's Schwinn.

My parents passed away within two weeks of each other. When their estate was settled, my share was rather modest. I used the money to buy a Trek OCLV road bike that was by far the most expensive bike I've ever owned. It's a nice bike. But, of the dozen or so bikes I own, it is the ONE bike I will take to the "too old to ride anymore aging cyclist's home", because when I ride it, I think about my parents, and that red Schwinn that was my first bike.
Old 12-15-07, 11:41 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
That is a really hard question as I'm either fickle or just have much love for many of my bikes (there are 13 of them).

My 1962 Peugeot fixed gear... "Bridgette". Very little is original and most of the clunky steel parts have been replaced to make her a stronger and faster bike. For an old girl she can really give the young n's a good run for their money.

My 1978 Raleigh Superbe 3 speed... for when I want to slow down (a little) and ride a bike that defines what comfort is all about.

Old 12-15-07, 11:51 AM
dck

Bikes: '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Peugeot UO18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It would have to be this one even though it's not the best or most valuable bike I own. I acquired it brand new 44 years ago. I've riden this bike a whole lot more and and a lot further than all the others combined.
Old 12-15-07, 12:45 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by dck
It would have to be this one even though it's not the best or most valuable bike I own. I acquired it brand new 44 years ago. I've riden this bike a whole lot more and and a lot further than all the others combined.
It's positively gorgeous! It's also very clear you know how to take care of your bikes.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 12-15-07, 01:45 PM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dck
I love it! Everyone should be so lucky to have such memories and to still have their old bikes - and so beautifully preserved!
Old 12-15-07, 02:41 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rabid Koala

Good thing bike lust isn't a sin.
I think we are all in agreement with that!

As to my most cherished bike--the Nishiki International which bigbossman so thoughtfully brought back into rideable condition for me. I got to meet bigbossman and BlankCrows--two fine gentleman. That's when I started to realise that C & V is truly a community of generous, kind, helpful people.

Me, looking rather Freddish with my shoes--it was cold and wet yesterday, but I still went for a ride. Too cold for a real smile , but please note the BF t-shirt . I have on a short sleeved cashmere sweater on underneath, as well .

I love this bike!

East Hill

Last edited by East Hill; 12-16-07 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-15-07, 02:51 PM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

My most cherished BIKE?!?!?!

I'd have to say replace the word BIKE with the word CHILDREN!

OK, I suppose wer're all guilty of favoratism to some degree or another, so I vote my...

'86 C'dale SM700

It was bought for me by my girlfriend at the time. (She's now Mrs. Dr. Deltron, btw)
I managed a shop that had just picked up the Cannondale line and wanted to ride a representative piece from their line-up. The SM700 was the coolest thing I'd seen offered at that time (1986)

For starters, the wicked cool ROLLERCAM brakes! C'dale also made the wise decision to mount the rear brake in the traditional location on the seat stays! Brilliant, imho!

The other unique & interesting feature was the 24" rear wheel. And they still managed to give the frame a 13" high BB!
Very trials-esque configuration. Think Hans Rey.

Other qualifiers for that particular bike...
Raced with John Tomac at Mamoth Mountain...check!
Rode it down a river underwater...check!
1,001 memorable adventures covering hundreds, if not thousands, of miles and smiles!...check!
..double check check!
Killed the guy who tried to steal it at gunpoint...uuum..
He just had to ask himself one question...do I feel lucky?

Well, I'm pretty darned lucky to have such a wonderful bike and such a wonderful wife!
And not necessarily in that order.

Currently the bike is about 1/2 original.
OEM includes the frame, fork, brakes(anodized red & gold), BB, crankarms (the rings are now BioPace, red anodized), the hubs, seatpost, headset (A-9 Rollerbearing) & stem.

Upgrades...
PolyCycle carbon fibre bars given to me by J. Velten, a sales rep at my shop in Carmel Valley
Deore XT 6 spd thumb shifters hooked up to XT f/r derarileurs.
Campy Euclid 2 finger brake levers.
Matthauser finned brake pads all around.
Housing is alternating red and yellow SIS housing. They even made lavender SIS housing back then!
The saddle is a Selle San Marco Rolls with red & gold accents.
The seat QR is Campy with a yellow rubber QR cover.
I also have a grime-guard on the seatpost.
The front rim is now a Mavic Oxygen 1" and the rear is a Specialized. I laced them to the original hubs using DT spokes and red & gold alloy nipples.
Rear Tire is a Specialized Ground Control and the front is a Ritchey MegaBite.

I repainted it back in '94 in the original colors, just changed the scheme a bit. It's mainly yellow with 3 grphic red fades done diagonally across the frame. So when I aniodized, I went with the red & gold scheme.

So, how then, did purple pedals end up on that bike?

Well, they're Ringle Ti pedals that a friend sold me at his garage sale for like $40.
Somewhere I still have all the hardware to make them clipless type pedals, but I prefer to use them BMX style. No click, no clip, no strap, just a peg.
I'm just a motomadman at heart I guess.

Anywhooo, ...that's my "favorite" bike! But there are lots of close seconds!

Old 12-15-07, 03:18 PM
el twe
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh come on, Dr. D. You know we need pics!
Old 12-15-07, 03:25 PM
monogodo
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Like stronglight, I cherish all of my bikes, but for different reasons.

If I had to keep only one, though, it would be the Eddy Merckx. It fits me beautifully, and is a joy to ride.
Old 12-15-07, 03:36 PM
barndoor
5' 19"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My "most cherished"..???

It's gotta be the Proteus....it's my "go to" bike...I like 'em all, but this is "the one"....

....that's not a tire pump, it's dog repellent....

...and also a 2006 R-14 66cm Waterford road bike, my former dream bike :)

Old 12-15-07, 05:16 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by barndoor
My "most cherished"..???

It's gotta be the Proteus....it's my "go to" bike...I like 'em all, but this is "the one"....

....that's not a tire pump, it's dog repellent....
67cm? Or bigger? edit: checked your profile, I was right! wow

Gah, this is tough when it comes to your own bikes isn't it. Lets see, I think its going to be a toss up between the 84 Centurion Sport Dlx which is now wearing the Barracuda Mk.I name which I stripped down, painted, and rebuilt about two years ago. Most of the group was sold to me by sydney shortly before his death - and my Gazelle Champion Mondial. The Gazelle was my daily rider for a good portion of the time when I was really getting into riding and loosing weight before my wedding.
Old 12-15-07, 05:18 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
67cm? Or bigger?
"Whoppin' big".

East Hill
Old 12-15-07, 05:33 PM
crazyb

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

#1 obvious

#2 because I have the most money in it, and I ride it the most.
Old 12-15-07, 05:43 PM
onetwentyeight 
blah

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
My Stan Miles track bike. It was the first track frame I ever owned, and first vintage bike as well. I nearly killed myself on it thanks to a hit and run driver, destroying the frame in the process, but I've had it rebuilt with new tubes, and while its not my fastest or best fitting/riding bike, it is the most beautiful and unique, and the one that's seen me through more miles than any other. It would definitely be the last bike of my stable that I would part with.

currently has a different seatpost (old 2 bolt campy) and a different saddle. full campy, mavic or10 rims, phillipe stem/bar combo and a phil bb. hopefully in a few months itll have a new set of decals (i found someone who can make accurate reproductions in england) and a paintjob.
Old 12-15-07, 05:45 PM
caterham

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my reference and still my all-time favorite ride.

she's been a constant companion for coming on 3 decades now. She's what I rode when I first met my wife and a cherished reminder of good times, great rides, & close friends as well as minor epics, close-calls & defeats, past and present.

I admire it's design, it's craftsmanship, it's aesthetics, its classic proportions, its fit, it's detailing, it's spirited & predictable road mannerisms, it's comfort & connectivity with the pavement and the passing countryside.

Last edited by caterham; 12-17-07 at 03:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.