Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Painting a frame

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Painting a frame

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 10:29 PM
boston310

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Painting a frame

Is it possible to get a good paint job on an older frame and would you know where and how much it might cost?
Old 07-14-04, 10:35 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yes, it is possible. Good, single color jobs are generaly $150-200 while a sophisticated custom job can cost upwards of $500.

Here in Portland, Acme is the place to go but they haven't a website. Cyclart (www.cyclart.com) can show you what's possible.

55/Rad
Old 07-14-04, 10:54 PM
boston310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, I love this forum. It is a great place for an idiot like myself to learn more about cycling. Thanks.
Old 07-14-04, 10:55 PM
Tarantula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had a 12 year old aluminium frame painted at a local powdercoating place. It was a red to yellow fade and it cost $65.00. Actually, I'm untrusting of most of my own mechanical skills, so the biggest sting was paying for my LBS to strip the components off and replace them when the job was done. My suggestion would be to ask around (locally) and get a deal. Some auto body shops have some great artists employed. Look at the cars in the employee parking lot to get an idea of how much talent is in the shop. Since there are not too many people that paint bicycles, they will not know what to charge and you can deal. I got a great deal because I promised to tell all my bicycle buds where I got the paint job from.
Good luck.
Old 07-15-04, 12:30 AM
TheDL
Survival of the Fitest

Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
Yes, it is possible. Good, single color jobs are generaly $150-200 while a sophisticated custom job can cost upwards of $500.

Here in Portland, Acme is the place to go but they haven't a website. Cyclart (www.cyclart.com) can show you what's possible.

55/Rad

Is Cyclart in Portland, Oregon?
Old 07-15-04, 12:33 AM
TheDL
Survival of the Fitest

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantula
I just had a 12 year old aluminium frame painted at a local powdercoating place. It was a red to yellow fade and it cost $65.00. Actually, I'm untrusting of most of my own mechanical skills, so the biggest sting was paying for my LBS to strip the components off and replace them when the job was done. My suggestion would be to ask around (locally) and get a deal. Some auto body shops have some great artists employed. Look at the cars in the employee parking lot to get an idea of how much talent is in the shop. Since there are not too many people that paint bicycles, they will not know what to charge and you can deal. I got a great deal because I promised to tell all my bicycle buds where I got the paint job from.
Good luck.

Powdercoat...good idea!
Old 07-15-04, 07:34 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDL
Is Cyclart in Portland, Oregon?
No, but Acme is and they are terrific. They are on the SE side. Their work can be seen here: (www.vanillabicycles.com)

55/Rad
Old 07-15-04, 09:57 AM
TheDL
Survival of the Fitest

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, wow...I've looked at the Vanilla site before. Do you know if Acme powder coats or anyone in PDX that does?