Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The "No Matter What" club

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 01-11-10, 12:31 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, raise your hands, who's in it. Assuming you are OK physically, who rides no matter what? Temp, rain, snow, road conditions, none of it matters.

I belong in the club but must confess I only have a 6 mile commute. I do live in the north though.
Old 01-11-10, 12:46 PM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry, I'll keep my hand down. Lightening comes to mind..., extreme cold (-20) or extreme hot 110+
Old 01-11-10, 12:46 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I ride no matter what, but in the worst cases, that wouldn't really draw any traffic reports on AM radio where I grew up, schools here get cancelled and I wind up home w/ the kids.
Old 01-11-10, 12:59 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I raise my hand, although with a bit of embarrassment. I now live in San Jose, where the extremes of weather are not at all extreme. I can't imagine not riding my bike into work unless physically unable to. However, I moved here from Maine, where I did not ride 'no matter what' - my envelope there was temp over 0F, and not too much ice on the roads - last winter this meant that I was kept off the bike for about 20 days.
Old 01-11-10, 01:00 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I ride no matter what, but in the worst cases, that wouldn't really draw any traffic reports on AM radio where I grew up, schools here get cancelled and I wind up home w/ the kids.
That's pretty much it for me too.

If I go to work, I go by bike. But under certain conditions I will play hooky or work from home. I will ride in snow, ice, or rain; but sometimes I'll take one look out the window in the morning go back to bed.
Old 01-11-10, 01:03 PM
paul2432

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a similar thread in the winter forum a few weeks ago.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...nter-Commuting

I try to ride no matter what, and have been able to do so since starting to bike commute full time last July. That said, I would have nothing against accepting a ride or taking the bus if I felt conditions had become too dangerous.

Paul
Old 01-11-10, 01:04 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
OK, raise your hands, who's in it. Assuming you are OK physically, who rides no matter what? Temp, rain, snow, road conditions, none of it matters.

I belong in the club but must confess I only have a 6 mile commute. I do live in the north though.
5 miles - 4 if I take the direct route.

But I still reserve the right to say "F it" and take a day off at my whim.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-11-10, 01:05 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'd like to say I'm in, but I'm not. Sometimes I tire of the layer-up, strip-down, work, repeat routine of dealing with either cold (for us = sub 20F) or persistently rainy (20 straight days) weather.
Old 01-11-10, 01:17 PM
Arcanum

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
*raises hand* Sun, rain, sleet, hail, snow, everything. Haven't had to ride with ambient temps below 10F yet, that I know of, but I've done wind chills below 0.
Old 01-11-10, 01:18 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I was for a couple of years, but I relaxed a bit. If I have something large to pick up, I'll drive. If I intend to go meet someone for lunch at someplace miles away, I'll drive. I've found that there are probably 4 or 5 days in the winter when I'd just rather drive - mainly if there's heavy snow buildup that hasn't been properly plowed yet.

Also, I have two cars that just sit in the driveway unless I drive them. If they haven't been driven for some other reason in 3 weeks or so, I'll drive one of them. Otherwise the batteries go dead and everything starts to rot.

Net result is that I wind up driving probably about 20 days a year, which is something like 1 out of 12 days of work.

A couple of years ago I was riding to work and a couple of miles from home there were two kids waiting for the bus in the dark. School was closed - Besides bad driving conditions, they also close school if the wind chill is below -20 I think, and it was -25 that day WITHOUT wind chill. It did seem a bit funny though for a guy on a bicycle to tell the kids that school was closed because it was too cold to stand around waiting for a bus.

Other than heavy snow, there may be some other conditions - winds over 50 MPH maybe (unless it's a tailwind - yeehaw!)? Tornado reported in the area?

Last edited by ItsJustMe; 01-11-10 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 02:23 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
There was one day in July of 2006 that I took the bus, but other than that, I've ridden to work every workday since I bought my first bike on March 29, 2006.
Old 01-11-10, 02:38 PM
anastrophe
practically invincible.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no. I was in it for awhile, and then I realized that the only reason I was in the club was because it was 'cool' and not because it actually made me happier. Now I take the bus when there's winds above 40 MPH, severe ice, temps above 105, etc--and I'm less cool but a lot happier.

Maybe if I ever move somewhere that has a milder climate, I'll rejoin.
Old 01-11-10, 02:42 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12637 Post(s)
Liked 7,529 Times in 3,990 Posts
I ride almost no matter what. There are occasions (approx 10 days last year) when someone meets me at work and I hitch a ride in their car, but it has nothing to do with the weather, just dinner dates and the like.
Old 01-11-10, 02:48 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My hands' up. I don't have a car so I have no choice. And yes, I've ridden thru a lightning storm which wasn't fun. Don't know if I'd do it again. Two blizzards, several ice storms, wind, etc, etc.

Last edited by scoatw; 01-11-10 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 02:48 PM
katcorot

Bikes: 2013 Surly Big Dummy, 2008 Giant Rincon, 1980's Raleigh Century, 1970's Apollo Deelite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
rain, snow, wind, cold, hot, mild flooding. Once even for a few weeks with a walking cast on my right ankle during highschool. easier than walking in the thing.
Old 01-11-10, 02:50 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I used to have to psyche myself up for riding in anything, but it really isn't that big a deal anymore. We get some cold weather and a bit of snow here (lots of wind) but there is never a time when I'd rather take the train or drive.

I did stop riding for a few days after I got hit by a car last year, that was mostly mental I think.
Old 01-11-10, 04:03 PM
onyourback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always! I find the harshest conditions to be the most fulfilling. Sure a sunny afternoon with a light tail wind is fun but the satisfaction of being out in the thick of it is even better. I like to run in storms and extremes to. YMMV.
Old 01-11-10, 04:09 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
Always. I'm too lazy to drive, unless there is some reason why I need may car, like going to the airport.

Paul
Old 01-11-10, 04:28 PM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the office is closed I'm staying home. This represents one working day in the last 10 years, the only weather-related non-bike-commute I can remember.

These days, it's only 10km in.
Old 01-11-10, 08:25 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil

So far I haven't skipped a day since Fall and I plan to stick to it! But Winter in NYC hasn't been that bad so far. I ride 8 miles each way.

Adam
Old 01-11-10, 08:46 PM
zoodude
Internal gears FTW!

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Reliant, 2010 Schwinn Sporterra NX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if time allows between class and work heck yea no matter what. Got a guy honking and yelling "you're crazy!" yesterday, totally worth it Lots of times I don't even feel the cold, and i secretly get excited for snow storms!
Old 01-11-10, 08:48 PM
Elliots Quest

Bikes: Nishiki, Kodiak & C-Dale, Bad Boy Ultra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every day since Oct 2008, but the commute is short 6.5-7 miles round trip depending on which route I take. I was forced to drive today (errand) and found myself getting irritated. Thankfully my beautiful wife does 99.99% of the driving in our family.

Last edited by Elliots Quest; 01-11-10 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 09:14 PM
ScottCarney

Bikes: 2010 Davinci JointVenture, 1994 Specialized Epic Comp, 2007 Steelhead custom road bike, Surly CrossCheck, 1999 Kona MuniMula MtB, Wife:Civia commuter, Steelhead custom road, 1993 Marin Mtb Extracycle , Kids:Trek tag-along, Jet20, Trek830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep. 10 plus years now. But it's only 4km each way if I go directly, 7 if I take the boy to school first (which I do most school days with him on his own bike in good road conditions, on the tag-along in poor). My leave time is flexible at night, so I can usually avoid a downpour. The bus makes me motion-sick, so there's really no other option.

Last edited by ScottCarney; 01-11-10 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-11-10, 09:21 PM
Schnayke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would but I drive once a week. My truck doesn't see much use so I need to use it. Other wise I'm in. I really hate driving.
Old 01-11-10, 09:33 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I've rode my bicycle to work for years now, and I cannot remember the last time I drove to work. Not even the 6.5 earthquake last Saturday deterred me from getting home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.