Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Advice on bike for commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 10:00 AM
Kristofor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

This is my first post on these forums but I've been reading them off and on for awhile now. In any case, I started commuting a few days a week about 6 months ago and I've worked up to mostly full time now (except for those days that I need a car for some reason). My commute is almost exactly 21.5km (around 13.3 miles for you yankies) each way, mostly along roads with a few stints on reasonably groomed trails/bike paths. I currently have a KHS Urban-Xpress I bought about 2.5 years ago now, but its only seen serious use since I started commuting in the summer but since has logged probably at least 3250km.

My question is whether the KHS frame is worth keeping long term and upgrading components, or should I be looking at upgrading to an entirely new bike? I bought the KHS at the time mostly because I wasn't sure if I'd actually end up commuting or not (which was probably smart since it was nearly two years after I got it before I finally got started) and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a bike, but at this point I'm likely going to be commuting full time (year round) and I'm willing to look at spending more on something that will last me longer.

There are also other reasons (besides the desire to buy new toys), such as I think some of the components are starting to wear down (my back breaks are acting pretty weird lately) and I'm also reaching the limit of the current gears.

In any case, I'm willing to spend in the range of $750-1000 CAD and would look at getting a used bike not a new one. Any suggestions or comments you guys have would be appreciated.
Old 02-03-10, 10:11 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Do you basically like the bike and just want to change a few things or are you looking for something different? The frame is nice enough but upgrading won't really change how it rides. If for example you want better shifting, or a different gear range, upgrading may help. Upgrades won't make the bike faster, though tires could be an exception to that.

You can upgrade the components but unless you do the work yourself (and maybe even if you do), it may be cheaper to sell this bike and get another one depending on how much you want to change.

Last edited by tjspiel; 02-03-10 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-03-10, 10:13 AM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A quick glance at the specs looks like a decent steel frame done up with low grade components. Upgrading piece by piece will likely result in a decent bike - most of the issues you identify are fixable, and the rear brake may just need new pads and an adjustment - but this might not be your best value. New components cost more as parts than by buying a whole bike at once. And for a 43km/day routine, a lighter weight frame might be desirable.

$750-$1000 will certainly get you a very nice used bike if you can find something that'll work for you. Make sure you have a repair allowance left, though, since you'll probably find at least a few components on any used bike are ready for replacement.
Old 02-03-10, 10:16 AM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
I started out with a big old Surly Long Haul Trucker. Then I bought a fixie (Ben's Cycle's Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Frame) and added fenders and a oversized saddle bag. I've got almost 10k miles on the fixie so far!

I'm actually thinking of building up a Surly Cross Check bike in the near future when I'm able to financially.
Old 02-03-10, 10:57 AM
Kristofor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be honest, I'm not sure if I like how it rides or not =). This is my first bike since I was like 15 and that one was a mountain bike so I don't have anything to really compare against. I did test ride several different ones back when I got the KHS but after at least a 10 year break I didn't really know what to look for then either.

I want drop down handle bars (whatever they are actually called), but I don't know if its just because I think I should have them or if they'd actually be useful. I do find that at times my hands go a bit numb (not sure if its just from the bumpy roads or what). I do find the bike itself a bit heavy, but again I don't know if thats just perception or not.

One other question I have is whether getting a new bike in general will increase my overall speed. My commutes tend to be somewhere between 47 minutes (when I'm booting it) to maybe 55 (when I'm taking it easy). That includes stopping at lights and what not. I'd love to cut down the time it takes obviously but I'm not really sure what to even aim for.
Old 02-03-10, 11:25 AM
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kristofor
To be honest, I'm not sure if I like how it rides or not =). This is my first bike since I was like 15 and that one was a mountain bike so I don't have anything to really compare against. I did test ride several different ones back when I got the KHS but after at least a 10 year break I didn't really know what to look for then either.

I want drop down handle bars (whatever they are actually called), but I don't know if its just because I think I should have them or if they'd actually be useful. I do find that at times my hands go a bit numb (not sure if its just from the bumpy roads or what). I do find the bike itself a bit heavy, but again I don't know if thats just perception or not.

One other question I have is whether getting a new bike in general will increase my overall speed. My commutes tend to be somewhere between 47 minutes (when I'm booting it) to maybe 55 (when I'm taking it easy). That includes stopping at lights and what not. I'd love to cut down the time it takes obviously but I'm not really sure what to even aim for.
Not normal. Likely a fit issue. New bike or a proper fitting needed.
Old 02-03-10, 11:40 AM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Bikes: '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Level of Importance for a longish distance commuter IMO goes as follows:

Fit/Comfort, suitability as a commuter (racks/fenders/wide tires/etc, for those that want them) fit/comfort, efficiency, frame material, styling (is it cool, yo?)

Hand numbness can be rough roads, skinny or over inflated tires, bars too low, or lack of quality grips (ergon grips are amazing,) or a couple of other reasons.

It sounds like your bike is ideal. Throwing a lot of money at a comfortable bike in hopes of being noticeably faster will likely result in disappointment. Only major change would be a more aero position, that'd really help if you keep above 12mph. Lighter tires/rims would feel quicker, and make the most difference next too aerodynamics IMO. Overall bike weight when you take rider weight into consideration is a small part.

After looking at your bike, a new quill (stem,) some drop bars, bar end shifters, bar tape, and brake levers (v-brake compatible or regular f you switch too cantilever brakes) would make that a drop bar bike. Sounds like you're wanting new brakes anyway, and a good set of canti's once setup correctly are great.

If you're still using those slime tubes, lose them for a much quicker feeling ride. I'd vote going that route and seeing how it works for you.

Last edited by MilitantPotato; 02-03-10 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-05-10, 05:07 PM
Kristofor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing yet but all of this was very useful =).
Old 02-05-10, 08:46 PM
Kristofor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After doing some more reading about bike sizing, I'm thinking now that the salesguy that sold me this bike didn't know what he was doing. What I'm getting from various sites when looking into how to choose a proper bike frame size is that its very individual and there's no formula, but my inseam is around 88-90cm and my current bikes seat length is 52cm. I found a formula someplace that said a good starting estimate was inseam x 0.65 which would put me at a 58cm frame. Does that sound reasonable?

Also, does anyone have opinions on a 2006 Trek 1500? It seems very close to what I had in mind and there's one for sale used with a 58cm frame size where I live for about 750$ CAD.
Old 02-05-10, 09:05 PM
Johan13

Bikes: Specialized TriCross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you arent very good at diagnosing problems on a bike (such as your break problem) I really dont recommend getting a used bike unless you have a friend that knows bikes well. Second, I think you would really benefit from having a bike fitted to you.

Personally, Id suggest a cross bike, as I find them to be very good commuters. Light enough, comfortable and can sport fenders racks etc. I absolutly love my Specialized Tricross comp. Best purchase in my life
Old 02-05-10, 10:46 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on the cross bike. They are capable commuters and a good balance between speed and utility. I have heard nothing but praise for the Kona Jake and a brand new 2010 model can be had for about $1000 CAD. An LBS in my area that carries Kona bikes has a 2009 model (in smoking hot red) for less than $800. Now, where did my wife hide my checkbook?
Old 02-06-10, 10:59 AM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kristofor
After doing some more reading about bike sizing, I'm thinking now that the salesguy that sold me this bike didn't know what he was doing. .
actually i'd say most LBS salespeople know what they are doing: they are trying to get you to leave the store with something they have in stock. failing that, something they can order for you. I can't believe the amount of spin and lies I've heard from salespeople at many different stores - not just for bikes but components as well.
Old 02-06-10, 11:29 AM
cia dog
Banned

Bikes: 87 Miyata 512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the KHS would be great for commuting on, it's not terribly expensive thus the stealing factor would be lower. If you just want another bike for more serious riding on the weekends then save your money and buy a more expensive bike for that purpose and keep commuting on the KHS. I wouldn't replace anything on it until something broke. Just my thoughts from a someone who doesn't know a whole lot about bikes.
Old 02-06-10, 11:53 AM
BA Commuter
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
People - you stop with 'brakes'

Carbon fiber bikes are the ones that 'break' in half when you crash!

OK? Sorry, but I'll get down now...
Old 02-07-10, 10:26 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Citybikes www.citybikes.coop has a version of the urban xpress with drop bars. You could take a look at what they did to see if you want to try it yourself. I test rode it and a Surly Long Haul Trucker at the same time and the ride seemed really pretty similar. I'd think it might be worth taking it into a couple shops and finding out how much it would be to upgrade. Then you'd have more data to decide.
Old 02-08-10, 08:30 AM
TheLifeOfBryan
down in the drops

Bikes: Miele Doral, Bianchi Boardwalk, Cannondale R300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The recommendation above to add rather than replace might be a very good choice. If you will forgive me both mixing and mangling metaphors, a commuter with only one bike is like a Jedi who bought his lightsaber on craigslist.

If it were me I’d at least consider the following: get the fit issues worked out (if possible) and turn the KHS into a solid commuter bike with racks and fenders. Then get a decent road bike, such as maybe that Trek 1500. It will definitely be faster and more fun, if a bit less practical for grocery runs in the rain.