Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First time biking. Is it okay to go on the sidewalk on the more busy streets?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-05-11, 09:20 PM
Mysteriouskk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This will be my first time biking with a road bike. Is it okay for me to ride on the sidewalk instead of riding in the bike lane?
Old 06-05-11, 09:23 PM
engstrom
Getting a clue

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 4.7, Diamondback Wildwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No
Old 06-05-11, 09:25 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
In a lot of places, it's technically illegal. In Dallas, I've seen the cops do it. Generally, it's a sign that you need to find a different street.

Around here, you see two kinds of cyclists: Those that ride bikes, generally road bikes, in the street, and those that ride Walmart bikes at 8 mph the wrong way on the sidewalk.
Old 06-05-11, 09:30 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28441 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
In general, it's inadvisable because:

(1) Turning vehicles tend to not see you as well as they would if you were on the road, and

(2) You have to contend with pedestrians and other obstacles.

There are exceptions, of course. I might opt for a short stretch of sidewalk if it's the only alternative to a crazy traffic road.
Old 06-05-11, 09:33 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
We had a long discussion about this on another thread about two weeks ago. According to the stuff I found and others cite as well, you are about 2X more at risk on the sidewalk as on the road. The reason is that driveways and at intersections, moving cars are not looking for a fast mover like a bike. Just almost happened to me today, I was riding on a sidewalk, too lazy to walk my bike to the intersection, and almost got taken out by a car coming out of a parking ramp.

If the road is super busy and you ate not comfortable on it, find a different road if at all possible.

J.
Old 06-05-11, 09:36 PM
zachsilvey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Illegal in some places, just plain stupid in all.
Old 06-05-11, 09:37 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
If you are going to get on the sidewalk because the streets are too busy...walk. Hence the name side"walk".
Old 06-05-11, 09:44 PM
M_FactorX19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zachsilvey
Illegal in some places, just plain stupid in all.
this
Old 06-05-11, 09:52 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Mysteriouskk
This will be my first time biking with a road bike. Is it okay for me to ride on the sidewalk instead of riding in the bike lane?
No. If a bike lane is present, riding on the sidewalk is foolish and dangerous. In other cases, it is generally not a good idea (or illegal) for the reasons others have mentioned.
If the road is too busy for your taste, consider altering your route. A simple shift of 1-2 blocks in either direction can provide a better route for your taste, in some cases.

A good starting point is to map your start and finish point on google maps, then click the little bicycle icon (available for most cities now) - the suggested bike routes will be shown in green. Try those out and find the route that suits you best.
Otherwise, your local bicycle advocacy group or city government should offer a bike map of your city.

In general, stay off of sidewalks on your bicycle. If the sidewalk is the only safe option for certain areas, dismount and walk.
Old 06-05-11, 09:57 PM
Butcher

Bikes: 2005 S-Works SR Equipped,1978 Tom Ritchie Road bike, Kuwahara Tandem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live on a hill that is >15% grade. With 4 busy lanes and no shoulders, there is no way I am going up the hill 'taking the lane'. That is the only sidewalk I use. Going down the hill, I use the road. I would rather be a jail bird than a dead one. It's only for .32 miles and then I turn left. I could not imagine going 6mph turning left and crossing 4 lanes without causing issues.

I used to live in Japan. While riding in Japan I never used the sidewalks even with Tokyo's crowded/narrow streets.

Last edited by Butcher; 06-08-11 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-05-11, 10:05 PM
visionz001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what happens if the streetlight doesn't trigger because theres no cars around? Get on the sidewalk to press the crosswalk then get back on the street?
Old 06-05-11, 10:12 PM
clink83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone who tells you not to ride on the sidewalk in all situations is an idiot. In major cities there are alot of times riding on the sidewalk is the only way to go. Hard and fast rules don't apply to real life. I do agree that if you need to ride on the sidewalk, there is probably a better route that you could take. If you have to ride on the sidewalk due to traffic, do it. Just ride slow and don't run people over.
Old 06-05-11, 10:21 PM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Bikes: 06 Specialized Allez Sport, '10 Trek Fuel EX 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes I go on the sidewalk but at jogging pace. Look out for what you encounter in a sidewalk, including pedestrians coming out doors, cars pulling out driveways, and of course look back for turning cars at intersections. I make a point never to exceed about 10mph no matter how empty a sidewalk looks, downhill or not.
Old 06-05-11, 10:46 PM
Runner 1
Cookies!

Bikes: Red Huffy, CAAD10 Rival

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go on the sidewalk if it seems safer. Don't get killed because you listened to some idiots online.

I have a 23 mile loop I like to do, and there's about a quarter of a mile that I stay on the sidewalk, because the road is just so incredibly busy and fast. I asked a cop if I would a ticket for riding on the sidewalk because of this, and she said while technically illegal, she couldn't imagine any cop in their right mind giving me a ticket for that. She said to ride on the sidewalk.

Ride somewhere else? Not an option. This road is right out of the front of my neighborhood. And I'm not driving a quarter of a mile.
Old 06-05-11, 10:54 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28441 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by Runner 1
the road is just so incredibly busy
In Alaska?
Old 06-05-11, 11:33 PM
Runner 1
Cookies!

Bikes: Red Huffy, CAAD10 Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the moment, I'm where your location is (TN). But I've had too many comments about the Alaska joke haha...
Old 06-06-11, 12:29 AM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm in san fran and there are a couple of areas where I hop on the sidewalk...climbing up hill I'm going 8 mph on a sidewalk that is rarely used by peds. most of the time I find routes around busy areas, but there are area where its the only way without a long detour.
Old 06-06-11, 10:03 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by visionz001
what happens if the streetlight doesn't trigger because theres no cars around? Get on the sidewalk to press the crosswalk then get back on the street?
Many states have laws that basically require you to wait through one complete cycle of the lights. If it doesn't change, you can carefully go as long as you don't interfere with cross traffic. It's an acknowledgement of exactly that problem - the smart stoplights with sensors in the pavement that don't get triggered by bicycles and other non automobile vehicles. Check with where you ride to be sure.

J
Old 06-06-11, 10:08 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by clink83
Anyone who tells you not to ride on the sidewalk in all situations is an idiot. In major cities there are alot of times riding on the sidewalk is the only way to go. Hard and fast rules don't apply to real life. I do agree that if you need to ride on the sidewalk, there is probably a better route that you could take. If you have to ride on the sidewalk due to traffic, do it. Just ride slow and don't run people over.
Nice.

The main risks to you are not running over people but getting nailed at driveways, garage exits, alleys and at intersections of the sidewalk with the street by cars. With few exceptions, it's just not a good idea to ride on sidewalks.

J.
Old 06-06-11, 10:20 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Read this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...r-never-hit%29
Old 06-06-11, 10:31 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Runner 1
Go on the sidewalk if it seems safer.
And "seems safer" is an utter illusion if there is any kind of vehicle traffic crossing that sidewalk - from alleys, driveways, cross streets - ANTHING.

Because none of the drivers will expect anything other than walking pace - 4-5 MPH - from anything on a sideWALK.

Don't get killed because you listened to some idiots online.

Old 06-06-11, 10:34 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
If you think you need to be riding on the sidewalk, you really need to be riding somewhere else. To do it even vaguely safely, you won't experience anything that could reasonably be called exercise or fun.

There is a reason why this question is asked exclusively by newbies. With very few exceptions, it's a rotten idea for a lot of reasons (which mostly boil down to being dangerous and illegal)
Old 06-06-11, 10:34 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Special circumstance exist, of course, but generally speaking it is far, far safer to ride in the street.
Old 06-06-11, 10:35 AM
MaxCycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clink83
Exactly. I wouldn't ever suggest riding on the sidewalk at full speed or for a long period of time, but there are certain sections of busy roads or bridges that make riding in the street with cars flying by pretty dangerous. Trying to avoid those routes is a good idea, but sometimes you end up in one of those situations.
Old 06-06-11, 11:14 AM
byrnemm
In vitro cyclist

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez Comp Double, 2011 Mercier Kilo Stripper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it is your first time biking you're better off in an empty parking lot.

I'm not quite as green as you are but I'm relatively new compared to most posting here. A lot of the fun of road biking, at least for me in these early stages, revolves around the planning of my route. Go early in the morning. Pick streets without minimal traffic. Plan routes that don't have lots of traffic and stop signs.

Gain confidence by riding on the street early on Sunday morning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.