Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What kind of shoes do you wear?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-26-13, 02:04 AM
mr.grey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need new riding shoes, not riding only but shoes I can use to ride to work, school, the store, etc. What type of shoes do u guys use for these type of activities. I do have Shimano SH-R087 that I use for riding only setting but like I said I want some sneakers or comfortable shoes that I wont mind ruining or mistreating.
Old 04-26-13, 01:46 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I used to think you needed bicycle shoes and toe clips. I never used the so called clipless peadals. Now I just wear any shoe with platform pedals.

Grant Petersen on the Rivendell site, and in his book, Just Ride, exposes the shoes ruse as just another thing to buy so you look like a racer.
Old 04-26-13, 01:55 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
I used to think you needed bicycle shoes and toe clips. I never used the so called clipless peadals. Now I just wear any shoe with platform pedals.

Grant Petersen on the Rivendell site, and in his book, Just Ride, exposes the shoes ruse as just another thing to buy so you look like a racer.
I ride in whatever I am wearing to wherever I am headed. Church...dress shoes, grocery store...sneakers, work boots, Crocs, or? Some of my bikes have plain platform pedals, some have half clips, some have full toe clips, a couple of Power Grips. I rode my expedition bike to the farm store the other day to pick up some special order parts for one of my tractors, wore a set of Wellies...it had been raining.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-26-13, 02:24 PM
Lazarus Short

Bikes: Diamondback Apex/GT fork (modded)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may laugh, but since I gave up cleats, straps, toe clips, dedicated cycling shoes, and two kinds of clipless pedals, I've gone to plastic, flip-over pedals (a good brand at that). For shoes I'm using beach/wading shoes, with stiff insoles and heel cups. They're snug, comfy, walkable, and lightweight. No purist BS here...
Old 04-26-13, 02:25 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, he says it. Doesn't make it true.

I have dual sided pedals (SPD on one side, platform on the other), so I can wear anything. I almost always clip in, so that means either my MTB shoes or Nashbar Ragster sandals.
Old 04-26-13, 05:41 PM
Nakedbabytoes

Bikes: 1974 KoKo Sport 3000, 1987 Lotus Elite 600, 2003 Qunitana Roo Kilo tri

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Converse All Star Chucks in rainbow, flats with studs on every bike I own. Can hop on anything and ride within seconds. My feet used to get numb with clipless, not enough movement over the miles. My feet are happy now and I haven't ever lost my footing so for me, flats and rubber soled shoes work just fine.
Old 04-26-13, 07:49 PM
CheapHeap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just use some well broken in Vans on platform pedals and have never had a problem with my feet slipping.
Old 04-28-13, 11:50 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
IMO, clips and straps and all of that stuff is a huge pain the you know what. Plus, I'm afraid that should I ever need to stop and put my foot out for balance quickly, or something like that, I won't be able to get my toes or shoes or feet out of whatever god forsaken contraption I've got them in.

Me, I just wear my Onitsuka Tigers (which I basically wear daily anyway) on a plain old flat pedals. Easy on. Easy off. Zero hassle. Comfy.
Old 04-28-13, 01:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Birkenstocks , Why do you need to know this?
Old 04-28-13, 02:13 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes
Converse All Star Chucks in rainbow, flats with studs on every bike I own. Can hop on anything and ride within seconds. My feet used to get numb with clipless, not enough movement over the miles. My feet are happy now and I haven't ever lost my footing so for me, flats and rubber soled shoes work just fine.
I wore Cons when I started riding in 1973. They sucked - the sole was way too flexible. Maybe that has changed since way back then.

Almost always wear Shimano mtn-style SPD shoes. Two of my bikes have pedals with plain cage/bmx platform/pinned on one side so I do have the sneakers options which I occasionally take advantage of.

Last edited by JanMM; 04-28-13 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-28-13, 03:25 PM
RickBlane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear running shoes year round, any time, any where. Same when I ride.

https://thefrugalhamstercyclist.blogspot.com/
Twitter @jdfry3
Old 04-28-13, 08:11 PM
Bikeforumuser0017
Goofy Goober

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vans authentic are the sh** right now. I also heard Adidas Sambas are good for riding. The cadence x DVS shoes look cool too, but they might make walking around uncomfortable because they have a nylon shank in the sole for stiffness.
Old 04-28-13, 09:26 PM
Arabesque

Bikes: Arabesque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pearl Izumi Bike and Run.
They wear like running shoes but have provisions for SPD cleats.

something like these:
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...38_-1___000000
Old 04-28-13, 09:29 PM
lungimsam

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I used to do clipless exclusively.
But now I ride regular street shoes with MKS touring pedals. So much fun to jump on and off the bike and not feel wierd walking around in clipless shoes.
I don't think I will ever ride clipless again. I hope not.
Old 04-28-13, 10:02 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
I usually wear combat boots
Old 04-28-13, 10:14 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 195 Posts

Well some of what Grant says is true, but some isn't. It's just his philosophy but you don't have to buy into it unless you want to. Shoes can be a ruse to look like a racer especially the more expensive carbon fiber wonder shoes, but you can't walk in those shoes. So what Grant is saying is that it's nice to ride a bike somewhere, like to another town, and be able to walk around, and to that I agree. So I wear mountain bike shoes on my road bike and I like the Shimano Multi Use Touring Shoe, but I also have a set of cheaper Nashbar MTB shoes too that work great. I can use those in my clipless or clip pedals, but I also have a pair of road bike shoes dedicated to clip in style with the cleat on the bottom that slides onto the cage and the cage fits a slot built into the cleat so the foot can't slide off the pedal.

But a dedicated shoe allows you to use a pedal to either clip into or for toe straps, even though the two mtb shoes I have don't have the clip style cleats the lugs on the shoes prevent my foot from slipping off the pedals when I use the straps.

There's also a really nice dress shoe for clip style, simply remove the cleat and walk around, but they are expensive; see: https://www.dromarti.com/index.php?ma...e223417643d0aa They come in brown or black.
Old 04-28-13, 10:24 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
I run 50/50 pedals on most of the daily drivers... I wear often wear spd shoes (mtn and touring) as the neuropathy in my left leg can make keeping my foot in place a challenge and with my feet attached I am a more efficient cyclist and can generate near normal power levels.

For more aggressive riding it is clipless pedals all the way... I run Look pedals on my road bike.

So on this, Grant can suck it.

On better days I often wear my Merrel barefoot shoes which work well with half step pedals and even work well with toe clips which are quite effective at preventing lateral movement... my Adidas Stan Smith tennis shoes are great for this and I have some excellent Uvex cycling shoes that are well designed for clips and straps.

Today we pootled around Portland and i rode the Raleigh 20 with my Merrels on MKS Stream pedals.
Old 04-28-13, 11:32 PM
russaroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New balance 420. Very comfy.
Old 05-03-13, 07:38 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
For me, regular shoes with toestraps have been very comfortable. But I can't for the life of me find the right clip in setup. I've been through 4-5 shoes now, and as a last resort, ordered a pair of sandals. Went out for my first ride in those sandals today, and felt the same discomfort as I always get with clipless pedals. I don't get it...... My foot is in the exact same location going from toestraps to clipless pedals.
Old 05-03-13, 07:50 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts

I certainly disagree. I have trouble keeping my heels down without the stiff soles of bike shoes. I use them even though I'm riding platform pedals. The only regular 'shoe' I've found I can wear without problem are my Birks. But I usually only wear them riding at the beach.

Last edited by jon c.; 05-03-13 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-03-13, 08:09 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Walking shoes with 1/2 clips work pretty well for my riding.

Old 05-03-13, 08:13 PM
RoyIII

Bikes: Gios Compact Pro 10 Chorus, Gios single speed, Pedal Force RS2 10 chorus, CAAD5 10 Centaur, Diamondback dirt bike, Fuji Fixed Gear.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adidas Sambas, clogs
Old 05-03-13, 08:22 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CheapHeap
I just use some well broken in Vans on platform pedals and have never had a problem with my feet slipping.
+1 Me too, the classic Vans, but I do use toe clips with them.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-03-13, 11:49 PM
F red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about the ruse of spending $3000+ on a bike for plain normal riding that doesn't do it much better than any other bike so you can convince yourself you have good taste? Let people who spend thousands of dollars on a bike be vain and look like whatever they want to look like and buy whatever suits their tastes. If you're going to question if someone really needs to spend money on a con industry to go a little faster, you can ask if someone really needs to spend the same money to look dashingly good on boutique steel. At least wannabe racers get to think they look good, have good taste, and they go an extra mph faster.
Old 05-04-13, 12:14 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
You know guys the OP hasn't been back in a week? How important can the information be? Seems to me that most people that have given suggestions pretty much covered what he needs to know. Other than anything related to Grant Peterson which is like getting flying lessons from the Red Barron on how to fly a Stealth fighter. (I know that is sticking the stick in the pot but I have never made any bones on how I feel about his book.)

But the short answer is if he wants a stiff sole for a lot of riding, without clips or clipless, then platforms and Skate Board shoes would work pretty well. But then if you only ride a block or two a day what does it matter? Flip flops would work on SS city bikes or beach cruisers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.