Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Spinergy Rev X road weight limit

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-24-14, 03:28 PM
Pibber

Bikes: cannondales 84 ST500; 87SR500; 95 CAAD 3 Silk Road 500; 99 CAAD 3 Frameset(project)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been looking for a wheelset to throw on one of my builds and I'm wondering what the weight/power limit on these would be. Clearly, used and possibly 15 years old, conservatively. I weigh 220(dropping pretty fast) and i think that's probably too heavy for these, but they'd look dope on my blue Caad. Besides, they come with an old DA 8spd cassette which is extremely fortuitous in that i'm actually building that bike with an early 600 tricolor 8spd group.

Should i just accept that i'm too fat to ride these?

cross posted in mechanics.
Old 02-24-14, 03:40 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
IMHO, the weight limit on Spinergy Rev X is zero. Spinergy stopped making those wheels in 1999. There were reports of rather spectacular failures.

Whether they are more prone to failure than other wheels is debateable, but when they do fail, the nature of the design gives rise to the failure being rather impressive.

They're now at least 15 years old. Things wear out, and you don't know how those wheels have been ridden or treated. I'd give them a pass.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-24-14, 03:49 PM
dkoernert

Bikes: 1999 Klein Quantum Race

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
^ This. I've also been tempted by the prices on these wheels on eBay before. Do a quick Google search and you should have all of the information you need. I am about the same weight as OP FWIW and I wouldn't ever consider getting on these.
Old 02-24-14, 03:55 PM
Pibber

Bikes: cannondales 84 ST500; 87SR500; 95 CAAD 3 Silk Road 500; 99 CAAD 3 Frameset(project)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, i'm aware of the failures. but, i haven't found any reports that conclusively state that the wheel itself was defective. more often than not, most stated that it was user end failure. eh...i wouldn't be racing on them and i've read just as many statements from people that have ridden them for years with no problems.

granted, i've put 2000 miles on the wolber alpine rim/105 hubs on my 87 since i got it. 27 yr old wheels, and i was fatter, too. they just look so cool....................
Old 02-24-14, 04:46 PM
darb85

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheels of death. one stone chip in the spars and boom.
Old 02-24-14, 04:50 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by darb85
Wheels of death. one stone chip in the spars and boom.
All carbon wheels!!

If you like them buy them buy them. The going rate is ~$400 shipped. They have hold their value, there's somewhat of a cult following.
Old 02-24-14, 05:03 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
What is "spars"?
Old 02-24-14, 05:28 PM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heavy wheels that can kill you? Only $400? Sign me up!
Old 02-24-14, 05:38 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
Heavy wheels that can kill you? Only $400? Sign me up!
lulz
Old 02-24-14, 06:53 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Put some Trispokes on there.
Old 02-24-14, 07:48 PM
darb85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
What is "spars"?
the blades. Excuse me, I'm a sailor
Old 02-24-14, 08:03 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
What is "spars"?
Originally Posted by darb85
the blades. Excuse me, I'm a sailor
Or a Dr. Seuss fan: "they over there, they have spars upon thars."

Ok, it was stars. But it's close enough.
Old 02-24-14, 08:29 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Old 02-24-14, 08:45 PM
darb85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isnt there a picture in which the wheel is failing mid corner on these wheels?
Old 02-24-14, 09:47 PM
Pibber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, so, i get it. some people are focused on several failures over a ten year+ span. keep forgetting to not expect much on the 41.

so, no answer from anybody in the know.
Old 02-24-14, 09:57 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
The picture of the wheel failing mid turn is from the Harlem Crit I'm pretty sure, and the wheel had some history behind it, at least that's my understanding. You can also look at the pictures of Adri Van der Poel racing cross on them, or Bugno winning stages in the Giro while racing with Polti, Mapei (Museeuw) etc on them (due to team sponsorship with Ambrosio rims they usually ran a Rev-X rear with an Ambrosio rim wheel up front), Cipollini winning Tour stages on them, etc etc.

Depending on the generation of wheel I think it'd be okay to ride them. You want outboard bearings up front, all aluminum wide diameter hub between the blades. If you see any kind of a circlip or carbon on the hub between the blades then stay away from them. If there are any chips in the blades stay away (although I rode on a set for 7? 8? years that had a pedal go into them, no problems).

The X-beams really help (they are braces that attach about 1/3 down the blade from the rim). If the wheels are the SuperStiffs (the carbon reinforcement inside each blade is twice as thick) they'll be better. The ultimate would be late generation Spinergys with outboard bearings, full aluminum rings on the hub (no circlip, no carbon visible), SuperStiffs, with the X-beams. I rode them when I was as heavy as 215 lbs, they were my winter training wheel because they were so durable.

The front wheel isn't as stiff as many other wheels out there so I preferred to run a TriSpoke front for races. The Spinergy rear, although heavy, was bombproof for me. The front I only felt okay on the SuperStiffs with X-beams. I had SuperStiffs, one of them was had the ExtraLight treatment (rim was drilled out on the faired side, I couldn't tell except the wheel is more flexible, and the axle was Ti).

Having said all that a similar year TriSpoke would be a better choice in my opinion. Let's put it this way. I gave away the Spinergy Rev-Xs I had, something like 6 or 7 wheels. I kept the three TriSpokes.

Some info on the company (I just found it now, trying to find some pictures of the wheels):
https://pistarice.blogspot.com/2008/1...ev-x-idea.html
It's pretty good, there's a lot more, but it covers the basics. The company got started in order to develop and sell the transmission but it was too fragile and broke too easily. They started selling wheels in order to try and generate revenue, dropped the transmission, and eventually moved from CT to CA.

The picture that led me to that post, Cipollini with Spinergys:

The SuperStiff, the X-beams, they were basically developed in response to the pros' requests. Cipollini complained that the first set of wheels he got were too flexible. They sent him X-beams. Too flexy. They sent him Super Stiffs, with X-beams (I think at the time SuperStiffs didn't exist, they just layered 2x the stuff on the blade). Too flexy. They painted the wheels red and put "LION KING" decals on them. Perfect. Cipollini went out and won some Tour stages on those wheels. Kind of funny. Last I heard one of the ex-employees still has those wheels somewhere.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-24-14, 10:05 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
If you can find a Specialized TriSpoke rear wheel (aka freehub, not a freewheel type front/rear wheel), they came with DA freehubs, and only a DA freehub. When HED started making them (HED3) they converted them to the Ultegra type, but I don't know when that happened.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-24-14, 10:31 PM
Pibber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks @carpediemracing

that's a better answer. i'm also looking at a pair of Gipiemme alloys. i might try to pick up both.
Old 02-25-14, 08:08 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by Pibber
yeah, so, i get it. some people are focused on several failures over a ten year+ span. keep forgetting to not expect much on the 41.

so, no answer from anybody in the know.
You got answers; you just didn't like them because you want people to confirm what you already think.

The design of these wheels was questionable from the get go. Not sure anybody has good data regarding whether these wheels fail at a higher than average rate. But when the do fail, it can cause a crash, unlike a typical broken spoke or cracked rim in a more conventional cf wheel. This is the purported reason the UCI banned them for mass start races.

Spinergy quit making them 15 years ago in part because of the failure problems, and in part because there are better carbon wheels out there.

If you read Spinergy's web site, and their comments about whether to continue to use them today, it's a carefully worded lawyer answer. They can't say "don't, it's unsafe" without exposing themselves to liability, so they say inspect them carefully and be careful.

So, you're looking at a wheel with a questionable design to start, that is now 15-25 years old, that you don't know how it's been cared for in that quarter of a century, or how many miles it has on it, and you're pretty heavy as far as road cyclists go.

Don't see any problem there, go for it.
Old 02-25-14, 08:16 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
You got answers; you just didn't like them because you want people to confirm what you already think.

The design of these wheels was questionable from the get go. Not sure anybody has good data regarding whether these wheels fail at a higher than average rate. But when the do fail, it can cause a crash, unlike a typical broken spoke or cracked rim in a more conventional cf wheel. This is the purported reason the UCI banned them for mass start races.

Spinergy quit making them 15 years ago in part because of the failure problems, and in part because there are better carbon wheels out there.

If you read Spinergy's web site, and their comments about whether to continue to use them today, it's a carefully worded lawyer answer. They can't say "don't, it's unsafe" without exposing themselves to liability, so they say inspect them carefully and be careful.

So, you're looking at a wheel with a questionable design to start, that is now 15-25 years old, that you don't know how it's been cared for in that quarter of a century, or how many miles it has on it, and you're pretty heavy as far as road cyclists go.

Yeah. And the pic I posted is funny.
Old 02-25-14, 11:42 AM
Pibber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

no, i got, outside of yours and carpe's responses, low grade 41 troll. i appreciate the input, and that's what i wanted, was input, not LuLz wheelz of death LOlz darr darr here's a picture of a guy with a faild wheelz

i mean, i can do the same, and that's a more recent wheel, with spokes.

every bike repair/ maintenance book, blog i read, or video i watch has at some point said to always inspect your bike and its components pre ride. i'm don't want an argument, but i don't like superfluous BS either. must 41 in the 41, i guess......
Old 02-25-14, 12:15 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

^ If you watch the video sequence of Cavendish's crash, Cavendish crashed into Haussler, and his wheel was run over when he was going down down.

It's one thing to destroy a wheel in a crash; it's another for a wheel to fail and cause a crash.

Also look at the wheel in the video after that the shot of it deformed on the ground. The wheel immediately pops back to it's basic shape.

From looking at the wheel after the fact, it looks like it retained enough integrity that if Cavendish would have somehow popped back up on it, it wouldn't have collapsed under him. That crash, and the pics of the wheel after the fact, support the argument that a conventionally spoked wheel is less likely to fail in a catastrophic manner.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 02-25-14 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-25-14, 12:24 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Better, but longer video (Start at 1:14):

#t=70
Old 02-25-14, 12:53 PM
Pibber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
moot point(s), now. ad's been deleted.

What about the UCI testing for those wheels? I'd heard that they were beyond the normal testing parameters for other traditionally spoked wheels. They wouldn't accept the wheel because they may cause "detached retinas"? LOL
Old 02-25-14, 09:09 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Conventional wheels certainly can asplode. I'm still recovering from this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20120720_202127.jpg (95.4 KB, 176 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.