Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

BOB Yak Cotter Pin Alternative

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 02-06-19, 10:13 PM
raywood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have acquired a BOB Yak 16. It seems mine is an old model. It doesn't have any built-in device to keep the trailer attached to the skewer. It came with two cotter pins that, I gather, are supposed to be useful for this purpose, but I'm not seeing how or where those pins are supposed to be attached. I see that Alex Wetmore has jury rigged the newer BOB clips to work on an older trailer but, there again, I don't see how it works -- I don't see why his clips don't just fall off. I've attached some photos to illustrate my situation at present. I would really appreciate links to the Yak 16 user's manual, explanations on how to rig up the old or new pins, or suggestions for alternative solutions.

Update: just as I am about to post this, in the first of my three photos, I see the little hole at the bottom right corner of the trailer fork. I guess that's probably where the cotter pin goes -- but in which direction? And I can see why people said they would fall out -- is that really going to hold the trailer onto the skewer when you're doing a sharp turn with a heavy load? Would it make more sense to thread it and run a bolt through that hole, even if doing so makes it harder to put in and out? I'd guess not -- pressure could bend the bolt -- but then what does that say about the future prospects of the cotter pin?

Old 02-10-19, 09:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
the pin goes through the holes in the edge of the dropout so as to block the dropout opening and keep the trailer fork on the axle ends..

It goes in with the straight part ..
Old 02-12-19, 03:06 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Like this, but your old style trailer does not have the peg for spring compression. Your pin style just snaps over the top of the skewer nut and provides its own compression to hold it in place. Rubber strap is just a leash to prevent loss... it has no other function. It was not included with your old style trailer...

Last edited by BobG; 02-12-19 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 10:51 AM
raywood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the responses. I see, now, that the hole was visible in the first of my photos. Somehow I missed it. On the other side, it was caked shut with dirt.

Unfortunately, I proceeded from this to a new problem: I drilled out the pinholes to accommodate non-stock pins, and in the process I'm afraid I may have compromised the strength of the pin retention system altogether. See other thread.
Old 02-28-19, 11:34 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
That pin carries no weight, it just holds the trailer in position. BOB sells stainless pins that also,have that retention holder to keep it on the trailer. Those cotter pins work as well. Maybe put an extra pair wired to the trailer just on case.