Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Help With Finding Riser Bars for Narrow Gripping

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-19, 02:03 AM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Help With Finding Riser Bars for Narrow Gripping

I recently converted a drop bar bike--now sporiting 2" riser bars. Because I prefer 52-54mm width, I can't get the brake lever and shifter to mount on the "straight" part of the bar.

It makes for a contorted shifting/braking setup. I need a riser bar that almost immediately rises up to 2" from the stem clamp area. Anyone know where I can find bars with this spec? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-24-19, 09:02 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
How about a taller stem and a flat bar?

You also might get more responses moving this to the mechanics or general forum.
Old 02-24-19, 07:29 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Originally Posted by clasher
How about a taller stem and a flat bar?

You also might get more responses moving this to the mechanics or general forum.
Thx. I'm already using a 35 degree rise stem, and max spacers on an uncut tube...
Old 02-24-19, 07:52 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Can you get a combine shifter/brake lever which will take up less clamp space on your bar? I know Shimano made them for a number of drive trains.
Old 02-24-19, 07:57 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12762 Post(s)
Liked 7,676 Times in 4,072 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
I recently converted a drop bar bike--now sporiting 2" riser bars. Because I prefer 52-54mm width, I can't get the brake lever and shifter to mount on the "straight" part of the bar.

It makes for a contorted shifting/braking setup. I need a riser bar that almost immediately rises up to 2" from the stem clamp area. Anyone know where I can find bars with this spec? Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately almost no one publishes these specs. Once in a blue moon you'll find one that has grip area length, which you can double and subtract from the overall width to arrive at the bulge spacing.
Old 02-24-19, 08:50 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
Can you get a combine shifter/brake lever which will take up less clamp space on your bar? I know Shimano made them for a number of drive trains.
Thx. I should have mentioned that I use my Dura Ace bar ends mounted in Paul Thumbies...
Old 02-24-19, 09:31 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
What stem diameter are you running? These 25.4 bars have the quick bend you seek. You'll need to cut them down a bit, but it looks to me like you'll be able to end up close to your 54cm wide spec while preserving straight brake/shifter attachments.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-4mm-Moun...4AAOSwi7RZH3N-
Old 02-24-19, 09:46 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
What stem diameter are you running? These 25.4 bars have the quick bend you seek. You'll need to cut them down a bit, but it looks to me like you'll be able to end up close to your 54cm wide spec while preserving straight brake/shifter attachments.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-4mm-Moun...4AAOSwi7RZH3N-
Thx. I have similar bars on another bike that's 25.4. The bike in question is 31.8...
Old 02-24-19, 10:14 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Thx. I should have mentioned that I use my Dura Ace bar ends mounted in Paul Thumbies...
The only other thing I can think of is there are a number of steering tube extenders available to make the steering tube taller, which should allow a flat bar with more room. Some of them are more than 4 inches tall. If you google "steering tube extender" you will see a huge selection.
Old 02-25-19, 04:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
Are you really using this for a bike that is going to be used for Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling, or is it for a touring bike? Most of the bikes I have seen used for randonneuring that had upright bars were on PBP. The riders I caught with upright bars seemed particularly uncomfortable. I know that on my upright bar bikes, I get hand numbness really quickly. I could probably do okay for touring distances, like 100km a day or so. I can't imagine riding with them for 200km, much less 400km. I wouldn't be able to feel my hands ever again.
Old 02-25-19, 10:09 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Thx. I have similar bars on another bike that's 25.4. The bike in question is 31.8...
Might be worth using shims if you can't find any 31.8 bars.
Old 02-25-19, 10:25 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
It's likely not possible for manufactures to design the bends and tappers with 31.8 bars into such a short space. The spacer idea will work well though.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 02-25-19 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-01-19, 09:38 PM
reedwm

Bikes: Specialized 2012 Roubaix Elite Rival Compact, Specialized 2020 Crosstrail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at the Soma Condor 2 with 50mm of rise right out of the stem, or the new Specialized Hover bar with 15mm rise right out of the stem. These are 31.8mm normal drop bars with extra rise.
Old 03-01-19, 10:42 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by reedwm
Look at the Soma Condor 2 with 50mm of rise right out of the stem, or the new Specialized Hover bar with 15mm rise right out of the stem. These are 31.8mm normal drop bars with extra rise.
Thanks! If I'd known those existed, I may have tried them before swapping to flat bar! I'm too far gone in this direction. Besides, I'm uncomfortable with braking on drops during steep descents...
Old 03-02-19, 09:50 AM
reedwm

Bikes: Specialized 2012 Roubaix Elite Rival Compact, Specialized 2020 Crosstrail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do to my stiff back, I never use the drops. I could cut them off with a hacksaw, except that would kill resale value, and I have a rear-view mirror on the end of the left drop. I am looking forward to getting a Condor 2 and creating a much more relaxed riding position. That should help my back a lot.
Old 03-02-19, 04:13 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Are you really using this for a bike that is going to be used for Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling, or is it for a touring bike? Most of the bikes I have seen used for randonneuring that had upright bars were on PBP. The riders I caught with upright bars seemed particularly uncomfortable. I know that on my upright bar bikes, I get hand numbness really quickly. I could probably do okay for touring distances, like 100km a day or so. I can't imagine riding with them for 200km, much less 400km. I wouldn't be able to feel my hands ever again.
I should've mentioned that my life was altered due to being a passenger in a high-speed car crash in recent years...Cervical injuries really are a PITN! Incidentally,most of the numbness issues have been resolved by the Ergon GP5s!