Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Bikes with wheelchair wheels on them

Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Bikes with wheelchair wheels on them

Old 01-22-19, 10:57 PM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

Bikes: 84 Ross Mt.Whitney - 84 Specialized Stump Jumper - 84 Nishiki Kodiak - 86 Specialized Rockhopper - 86 Cannondal SM-600 with 24" wheels - + more project frames than I'd care to admit to

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I tried to find the thread last night and couldn't. I think he did it for gp. I've seen wheelchair wheels that would look dope on a bike, but he used one of the generic black plastic seven spoke ones. It's a strong wheel that basically survives being side loaded for years on end. I don't know how heavy they are. It was on the front and I've seen wheels on fixies that look like wheelchair wheels.
This has to be the most "fixie" thing I've ever heard of. Sounds like it could be a fun project!
Old 01-23-19, 08:14 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I don't get this, other than for the "because they said it couldn't be done" factor...

Wheelchair wheels are built for sturdiness, not for being lightweight. They typically are heavy and bulky. Why would you want to?

Keep in mind I'm thinking of your typical hospital grade wheelchair they use for shuffling short term patients around in. I'm not thinking of the high end chairs someone who is permanently wheelchair bound might buy. Those might have a whole different level of parts quality.
Old 03-08-19, 05:01 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I think this is the best section to ask and google is not being helpful. A long while back somebody on Velospace did it to a fixie and I wanted to know if anybody else has done it to a bike.
I believe wheelchair tires are basically just a 650C. Hope that helps.