Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

S&S Hard Case Security Net

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-19, 10:39 AM
bogriver

Bikes: Land Shark Pro Carbon Tandem, Ventana ECdM 27.5+, Salsa Powderkeg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Looking for some feedback as reviews for these S&S hard case TSA security nets are non-existent!
Anybody out there have any experience using them? Are they worth it?
Security Net used to protect your bike if TSA opens the case

Thanks in advance
Old 03-31-19, 05:40 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Interesting, I had never heard of them. My experience is that the contents get a bit rearranged, but basically as I packed. I print out a sheet with my name and address and in very large font I put “TSA: No CO2”. Not sure if that helps or hurts me but I figure if I acknowledge that it is not allowed, I am less likely to have any and the TSA won’t go digging for it. Again, I have no idea what they might think they might find in a bike case.
Old 03-31-19, 05:42 PM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bogriver
Looking for some feedback as reviews for these S&S hard case TSA security nets are non-existent!
Anybody out there have any experience using them? Are they worth it?
Security Net used to protect your bike if TSA opens the case

Thanks in advance
Don't bother, they are a real pain to use in our experience. We have traveled with our tandem at least 30 times and used the nets exactly once. They don't really make it a simple package to pick up out of the case for inspection so it doesn't really make sense. The one thing I do is tape the base to the pvc tube on the compression struts so TSA doesn't have to look for them if they come off in the exam. Two, I pack a wheel in each case on top of the tandem. If using 700C wheels I take the tires off if we are using our 650 wheels I can leave the tires on, anything to make TSA job easier is a win for your bike. No damage in all those trips except where I didn't cover paint with protection and had some paint rubs. We have also never been charged excess baggage with our S&S cases and you can rent a small car to transport. Id give you our nets but Im pretty sure I tossed them since they did not work.YRMV
Old 04-02-19, 10:29 AM
tandem rider

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I use 12 - 15 zip ties in each suitcase to hold the bike parts together. It is zip tied together so that it can all be lifted out as a unit. I take replacement ties for the trip home. This fall, I was charged $150 for both cases to France. The airline wanted to charge $300 since the bike was for two people, but we argued that their web site said $150/bike. They finally agreed to $150. Coming home from Denmark, there was no charge.
Old 04-02-19, 12:23 PM
bogriver

Bikes: Land Shark Pro Carbon Tandem, Ventana ECdM 27.5+, Salsa Powderkeg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tandem rider
I use 12 - 15 zip ties in each suitcase to hold the bike parts together. It is zip tied together so that it can all be lifted out as a unit. I take replacement ties for the trip home. This fall, I was charged $150 for both cases to France. The airline wanted to charge $300 since the bike was for two people, but we argued that their web site said $150/bike. They finally agreed to $150. Coming home from Denmark, there was no charge.
If I may ask, which Airline?
Old 04-02-19, 12:25 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tandem rider
I use 12 - 15 zip ties in each suitcase to hold the bike parts together. It is zip tied together so that it can all be lifted out as a unit. I take replacement ties for the trip home.
I do this also, with reusable zip ties that I found at the hardware store, which work great.

We have the Comotion soft sided hybrid cases which don’t use internal strut towers. I put one wheel each in a case in a padded wheel bag, with tires still attached but uninflated. No damage so far.
Old 04-02-19, 01:01 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I bought a used S&S bike a few weeks ago that came with that net. While I have never used it myself, they guy I bought it from raved about how great it was for keeping everything together. This was after I already bought the bike so I assume he was being sincere.