Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Harvard guy says cycling just not "sustainable..."

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Harvard guy says cycling just not "sustainable..."

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 09:12 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

The roots of the phrase are much deeper than that. It goes to our (rather unique) American anti-intellectualism. I’ve been hearing it for eons from people who are uneducated. I’ve heard it even after I became educated from the same people. It makes people who haven’t gone through the rather difficult process of getting an education feel better about themselves because they have all this “common sense”. It’s the same “common sense” that results in a lot of people “...knowing what ain’t so.” Yes, there are some engineers (scientists, doctors, tax accountants, etc) that are better than others. But what they all have in common is that they have been educated. Even the good engineers aren’t uneducated.

In education...especially higher level education...teachers teach as well as “do” work in their fields. Even primary and secondary educators have to undergo constant training in their subject so that they stay relevant. And we require that they do that on their own dime while paying them a pittance.

Finally, for those who use the saying, go out and try to teach someone how to do what you do. It’s not all that easy. It really does help to have “done” what you are teaching. I’ve been teaching people how to work on bikes for the last 15 months in a class setting and for the last 10 years in Fix Your Bike hours. It ain’t as easy as just “doing it”. I can fix most anything on a bicycle in a few seconds to a few minutes. Teaching someone how to do something takes a whole lot longer and takes a lot more effort.
Great post!!
Old 04-21-19, 09:44 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts

The roots of the phrase are much deeper than that. It goes to our (rather unique) American anti-intellectualism. I’ve been hearing it for eons from people who are uneducated. I’ve heard it even after I became educated from the same people. It makes people who haven’t gone through the rather difficult process of getting an education feel better about themselves because they have all this “common sense”. It’s the same “common sense” that results in a lot of people “...knowing what ain’t so.” Yes, there are some engineers (scientists, doctors, tax accountants, etc) that are better than others. But what they all have in common is that they have been educated. Even the good engineers aren’t uneducated.

In education...especially higher level education...teachers teach as well as “do” work in their fields. Even primary and secondary educators have to undergo constant training in their subject so that they stay relevant. And we require that they do that on their own dime while paying them a pittance.

Finally, for those who use the saying, go out and try to teach someone how to do what you do. It’s not all that easy. It really does help to have “done” what you are teaching. I’ve been teaching people how to work on bikes for the last 15 months in a class setting and for the last 10 years in Fix Your Bike hours. It ain’t as easy as just “doing it”. I can fix most anything on a bicycle in a few seconds to a few minutes. Teaching someone how to do something takes a whole lot longer and takes a lot more effort.
Indeed, there's a widespread view that the best way to really learn something in depth is if you have to teach it. I've had that experience every time I have to teach something, and it's one reason why I relish the chance to teach.
Old 04-22-19, 03:12 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
This reminds me of a halfwit rural Washington state senator who has been known to remark about how cyclists' heavy breathing is a greenhouse gas, for real!
Old 04-22-19, 05:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
..... bad science...or even wrong science...can’t be discovered without science. Nothing else can check it. Bad science, be it Piltdown man, anti-vaxing, climate change denial, Lorenzo’s oil, cold fusion or any of a thousand other either outright frauds or mistakes can’t be exposed by any other means than science. Even honest mistakes...and there are a number of them and they are constant...can only be corrected by other people doing science. No quack has every been exposed expect by science.

In fact, no other human endeavor has such a built in check system. It is the single most important tool we have to find the way to truth.
But ... the "truth" only matters to scientists. Which is why we have anti-vaxxers, climate-change deniers, and flat-earthers. The "science" gets published, whether it be on a blog, a sensationalized article written form a sensationalized press release in a newspaper or news website .... and people read, misunderstand, and believe it. They never read or hear about or accept the limited follow-up research which might disprove the initial claims, mistakes, frauds, or mis-reportings.

Piltdown man was a fraud, countertop cold fusion, who knows? I cannot imagine those guys got anything much out of their published and quickly disproven results ... but that was a long time ago anyway.

Did you see this? https://www.cbsnews.com/news/family-...XFm9clhLri5ENo --------------------------- Family to Receive $1.5M+ in First-Ever Vaccine-Autism Court Award

Sports drinks are one of my favorites. Almost all the studies have been funded by a foundation created by the owners of Gatorade ....

And the sugar lobby started a very successful campaign to blame fats for health issues while loading our foods with processed sugar.

Anyway ... I am not anti-science, but I see that "science' at its best has limitations, and the religion of science, the blind acceptance of anything publicized as "Science!", is helping to kill human culture.
Old 04-22-19, 06:41 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The field is no longer pure.
When was it?
Old 04-22-19, 06:50 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
"Anyway ... I am not anti-science, but I see that "science' at its best has limitations, and the religion of science, the blind acceptance of anything publicized as "Science!", is helping to kill human culture."

Science itself knows its limitation. It does not claim to know everything. Hence science is science because it researches what is happening and is not religion, which claims to be all-knowing.

"religions of science"

oh brother. When one uses religion as an adjective to criticize science, what does that tell you about religion?

In the case of the Piltdown Man, creationists like to use this example how science fails. In fact science succeeded because the careful research of the specimen undergoing the scientific process revealed it was a fake. Science is verifiable and replicable.

Do art forgers prove that all originals are fakes? No. Art experts with their verifiable and repeatable processes eventually reveal those forgeries are fake.

Last edited by Daniel4; 04-22-19 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-22-19, 08:08 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I use the "religion od science" to describe the people who have full faith in "science,' science being whatever hyped and untested theory was on their twitter feed and have no idea what scientific method is or why it is used ... people who have faith in but no understanding of science, and whop treat guys in lab coats like priests, passing down the divine word.

I don't have a problem with religion, in general, but some specific "religious" organizations have as much religion ans the "religion of science" people have science.

And no, art forgers don't prove originals are fakes ... duh. Art historians prove forgeries are fake. But in science, scientists have to test science ... and there are a lot more doing science than testing the results.
Old 04-22-19, 11:23 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
100% percent of us will die. The dude they say is coming back is still late.
Old 04-23-19, 07:07 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Rollfast
100% percent of us will die. The dude they say is coming back is still late.
Science cannot prove that until after all of us are dead.
Old 04-23-19, 08:29 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
This is pretty much like many things coming out of colleges. All theory, and NO actual experience in the real world. I have seen those types all my life.

Those that can do, those that cant teach, those that cant teach, teachers. Pretty much puts that guy in the position he is in.
The less one understands about higher education and research, the more this makes sense.
Old 04-23-19, 11:06 AM
Maelochs

I think a lot of the differences might be in applied sciences versus humanities, as well .... Let's recall the at a lot of college professors have been teaching thinly-veiled marxism, and now there are courses in all the PC topics---ridiculous takes on history, government, and humanity in general, justified by the most ridiculous 'studies. The idea that white males have ruined the world (really? Even though they are outnumbered by Indian and Chinese men? oh ... sorry it is a purely personal view, not one based in actual global history.) Some German professor has posited that parents should be sexually stimulating their children starting in infancy ... stuff like that. Lots of stupid stuff happening on college campuses.

An engineering teacher might or might not know the latest stuff ... depends on how good the teacher, the college, and its funding sources are. We all know there are good and bad teachers, and good and bad colleges. But anything in the applied sciences has to turn out people who have at least mastered the basics. And I assume most of the people who are arguing in this thread have applied-sciences backgrounds.

But yeah ... there are some liberal arts programs which "teach" stuff which would make good parodies of college courses for an article on The Onion.
Old 04-23-19, 11:16 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Lots of stupid pontificating on BF too, as well as verbose rants of P&R screeds and platitudes, ad nauseam.
Old 04-23-19, 09:21 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Screeds such as that reflect of lack of knowledge of the actual course map most undergrads follow and the curriculum in those courses.
Old 04-23-19, 09:21 PM
Dontouchmytape

Bikes: Trying to sort that out

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bonk

this report is total bunk!