Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Frustrated with new light

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-19, 12:21 PM
luke87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi all, I just bought a Bikehut 200 luman front light with power bar display. Iv tried charging the usb with an apple and Samsung plugs. Then pc and PS4, but I can’t get it to start charging. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?
Old 04-25-19, 12:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Didn't it come with a charger and cable? If not, then what type usb plug does the manual say the light is?

Your statement about trying samsung, apple and other plugs confuses me, because one won't fit the other unless you are using universal connectors which for me have been too easy to loose a connection.

Or by plugs, are you talking about the AC power adapter?

Might be a matter of not enough charging amps. If you have a cable that correctly fits the usb at the light, then plug it into a cell phone charger and not a computer.
Old 04-25-19, 12:44 PM
luke87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It came with two of its own usb charging cables, but not plug. The apple and Samsung plugs are for usb connectors ie phone charging. The manual says a 5 volt charge. Iv now tried both cables it came with plus my own. Im guessing it’s faulty, but I find that strange straight out of the packet. according to the manual a charging light should appear.
Old 04-25-19, 12:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I've had a lot of troubles with USB cables going bad, but if yours are new, they should be OK, at least at first.

Your light says it has a "power bar display".

What was the charge indicating when you opened the package? Most devices should have at least a 50% charge, although they always recommend you put them on the charger overnight.

If the light is dead out of the package, then I'd guess either the battery is dead or disconnected.

Many batteries (or chargers) don't like a full discharge.

Contact your vendor.

Non rechargeable devices often have a physical battery disconnect that must be removed, but typically not with rechargeable devices. Still, it is worth looking for.
Old 05-01-19, 09:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Never heard of that brand so my guess is you got exactly what you paid for. Go down to the local shop and buy a known quantity like Light and Motion, Niterider, Busch and Müller, Cygolite, Knog, Supernova...and get something nice and bright. It will cost money but you will get a quality light which you can actually use and people can actually see you with.
Old 05-02-19, 08:19 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
You haven't heard of the brand because it is a company brand for Halfords' bike shop in GB. BikeHut is Halfords' own brand for accessories, clothing and tools."

Priced at 18 pounds sterling it is not exactly dirt cheap for a light that only puts out 200 lumens.
Old 05-02-19, 08:27 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
You should always expect a new light or anything else rechargeable to need a full charge cycle before using it. Even if the instructions don't mention it. You did not try to charge it with the computer off did you? How long did you leave it plugged in before you decided it was not charging?

Last edited by 2manybikes; 05-02-19 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-02-19, 01:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Any luck yet? If so what.

I think whomever suggested that you check to see if the plastic pull tab they sometimes put on the batteries of many electronic devices nowadays broke when you pulled it and is still there breaking the battery connection was on to something.

Maybe not. What have the reps at Halford's or where ever you bought it at said?