Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Off-road navigation app

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Off-road navigation app

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 12:54 PM
Alex Dartmoor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Off-road navigation app

Hi there!

Navigation apps...there's tons of them (Komoot, Mapmyride etc.)...

When I am cycling long-distance, having a sat-nav app which creates a good route for you is the best thing ever! Most apps can only generate road-routes. Few apps can generate routes which recognise bridleways or gravel/dirt tracks etc....

I am quite impressed by Komoot. It can create a route automatically which takes you off-road, along tracks and trails. It can then become a sat-nav and guide you along it's route with voice command.

But it has a big problem! Although you can select 'mountain bike', and the route generated will include off-road sections, the app still prioritises minimum distance over terrain-type. Often, there are good off-road trails near the auto-generated route which would only require a detour of a few hundred metres.

I would just love to find an app which allows you to prioritise terrain type over minimum distance. Such an app would hopefully take these small detours and greatly increase your quality trail time!

If anyone has any idea of an app which is like Komoot, but allows for more options when auto-generating a route, I'd love to hear about it!

Thank you!

Alex
Old 04-29-19, 02:35 PM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Not a fan of Komoot.
Either manually redirect the route to where you want to go (not easy on a phone) or try the hiking option?

Alternatively try OSMand. Has the advantage of being able to create routes completely offline (unique) with downloaded maps.
Has the disadvantage that it takes a while to get a handle on and can be a bit slow plotting long routes.
Old 04-29-19, 03:53 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour

Alternatively try OSMand. Has the advantage of being able to create routes completely offline (unique) with downloaded maps.
Maps.me can also plot routes via offline (downloaded) maps. It works much like google maps does.
Old 04-29-19, 09:00 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Try brouter. (The web interface is not obvious, but it'll give you an idea.)

If it does what you want, then install Locus Pro (it uses bRouter as an offline routing addin)
Old 04-30-19, 09:54 AM
Alex Dartmoor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your advice everyone!
So I went 55 miles today, about 2/3 on Komoot and the last 3rd on Googlemaps as I couldn't deal with Komoot anymore! So I look forward to trying these other suggestions!
Thanks again!
Alex
Old 05-05-19, 02:26 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Check out Ride with GPS. It offers nine mapping sources including satellite, RWGPS, OSM, OSM Cycle, OSM Outdoors, Esri Topo, USGS Topo, and USGS Scans, allowing following dirt paths and trails instead of just established pavement. And the Route Planning feature is part of the free app. You get more features by paying.

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 05-05-19, 02:57 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
As far as I’ve seen, TrailForks has the best off road for mt. biking, in that there’s a ton of GPS tracks as uploaded by folks riding the trails. Easy enough to download to a Garmin.

Rub is so far as its not oriented towards gravel and dirt roads, it’s mostly a single track.

Some RWGPS areas are OK for that, but it’s hit and miss and I’m not seeing the extensive kind of tracks wing generated as with TF.
Old 05-06-19, 06:29 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I use map my ride and ride with gps. Just looking at a topo map helps too. Delorme has them by state.
Old 05-06-19, 09:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
<USGS topographic maps> , and G'gl found https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-do-i-f...pographic-maps
Old 05-06-19, 11:39 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I use https://www.mtbproject.com/ for local singletrack routes.
Old 05-09-19, 12:56 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I use Gaia GPS a lot. Not necessarily for routing but I get off the beaten path here in the Appalachians and look for old logging roads to use as connectors to USFS fire and maintenance roads. All too often, there are routes that are not on any maps but can be seen with satellite views.

RidewithGPS is also very good.