Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

List of ideal mountain bike frames for touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

List of ideal mountain bike frames for touring

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18, 09:32 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashola
Thanks for your thoughts. I am looking into all options, dropbar, trekking, and the albatross bars that seem to be in vogue.
Recent convert to Albatross, actually North Road bars. Really liking them. Surprising how many hand positions you get with them. Rarely used my drops, anyway. Old C6 neck fracture that's turned arthritic makes me more comfortable up a bit......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1615.jpg (1.08 MB, 395 views)
Old 04-02-18, 10:50 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
Did a little trip on my converted department store MTB last month. It's got about an inch of rear suspension when loaded. Got it as a frame and fork, ditched the crap suspension fork, put on a Kona Project 2 Al fork, a 3x8 drivetrain, 27.5" x 2.3" front tire and 26x2.3" rear.

Old 04-09-18, 09:13 AM
Crashola

Bikes: Old Raleigh Super Course Marin Pine Mountain Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gorillimo
Recent convert to Albatross, actually North Road bars. Really liking them. Surprising how many hand positions you get with them. Rarely used my drops, anyway. Old C6 neck fracture that's turned arthritic makes me more comfortable up a bit......
Looks comfy!
Old 12-16-18, 05:01 AM
Aroc8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Pics of your conversions would be awesome. I know there are lots and lots of pics in the thread and video I listed...

You are arguing a pretty minority position and suggesting all those other people got it wrong or are just too cheap doesn't help your position at all.

But you and I arguing won't help. I would suggest that the person interested look at that thread and see if any of the many many many mtb dropbar conversions look appealing. Either they do or they don't. If they do they can read or watch how lots of other people have done it.
happyfeet, seeker gave you the information you asked for. Take the advice for what it is rather than former a counter argument quoting thread numbers elsewhere. Why did you ask if you weren't prepared to listen? Seems you have had your mind already made up.
Old 12-16-18, 12:26 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
What a weirdly random thing to quote at 3am for your first post? Welcome to the forum and perhaps tell us a little about yourself.

That was a conversation about mtb dropbar conversions from 2017 wherein seeker tried to argue such conversions rarely work out well. I replied that there were about 5000+ posts in the mtb dropbar conversion thread in the C&V forum that suggest otherwise. So, I suppose I do have my mind made up, along with all those others.

I ask for pics because, on the interwebs, anyone can claim anything, but if he actually had posted some pics of those conversions he had tried and failed at it might have countered the many many successful ones posted with pics in the conversion thread. Or to put it another way: There are lots of pic heavy examples of success so I asked for more than just "his word" that all of those were wrong. Not an illogical request and I'll stand by it.

A recent mtb conversion to flipped bars that are close to shallow dirt drops (just a little less drop). Same reach. I love riding this bike!

An older experiment trying to use mtb shifter/brakes on a dropbar and shellac on cork tape. It worked but I eventually used the bars on another project

Last edited by Happy Feet; 12-16-18 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-16-18, 12:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OK you guys got this

I have a 1st generation Japan made Stump jumper Sport I happen to be using it as my winter bike..
Somebody's Stumpie..

I could outfit it for touring, but I bought a
Koga WTR, 10 years ago, already built for that..

factory image:

My bike as of back around when I got it

Changed some things since ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-16-18 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-16-18, 04:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Aroc8
happyfeet, seeker gave you the information you asked for. Take the advice for what it is rather than former a counter argument quoting thread numbers elsewhere. Why did you ask if you weren't prepared to listen? Seems you have had your mind already made up.
most random 1st post ever. Too funny.
Old 12-17-18, 08:56 AM
Aroc8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
most random 1st post ever. Too funny.
Masteglfr...why too funny? What was so random? Happyfeet, thanks for the welcome and great looking bike pics by the way. I'm' in Nova Scotia working on a trek 850 touring bike conversion. I'm planning on painting it from it's gross orange the Ral6027 colour which I've seen on another project which is similar to the Celeste green of bianchi. Components are nothing fancy, original, and I'll be using the bike for touring the province in the summer. I'll upload some before and after pics when done, but first I've got to find the paint. Thanks!
Old 12-17-18, 09:43 AM
Happy Feet

Masteglfr...why too funny? What was so random?
Every once in a while someone posts into an old thread and unknowingly restarts it (called a zombie thread). Usually it's because they look at the thread via the search function and don't notice the dates of the posts. No biggy, just a chuckle when it happens because it's like someone walking into a room and continuing a conversation that ended a year ago

It may seem that I was being argumentative in that thread but on forums such as this there is a great deal of debate about various ideas that people have. Just wait until you ask about which chain lube to use! We debate which racks are best, panniers, spokes, tires etc... and lot's of people say stuff that makes sense or doesn't. I think of it as argument in the Greek sense in which ideas are sometimes challenged and either verified or rejected based on their merits.

Again, welcome. I live on the left coast and have mostly toured the western provinces but plan to get out your way in 2019 for a Trans Canada run.
You need to make about ten posts to be able to post pics so look around the forum and join in a few conversations. Don't just spam ten posts though as the mods dislike that.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 12-17-18 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-17-18, 11:35 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Well, there doesn't seem to be any love for Scott in here, so add another to the list:

It may seem that I was being argumentative in that thread but on forums such as this there is a great deal of debate about various ideas that people have.
Can one debate without being argumentative?
Old 12-17-18, 01:29 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Masteglfr...why too funny? What was so random? Happyfeet, thanks for the welcome and great looking bike pics by the way. I'm' in Nova Scotia working on a trek 850 touring bike conversion. I'm planning on painting it from it's gross orange the Ral6027 colour which I've seen on another project which is similar to the Celeste green of bianchi. Components are nothing fancy, original, and I'll be using the bike for touring the province in the summer. I'll upload some before and after pics when done, but first I've got to find the paint. Thanks!
depending on where you are in N.S, there might be a bike co-op around, a place that has a locale, and bike tools and stuff, for folks to learn from others how to do bike repairs. I know there is at least one here in Montreal, but who knows where you are. The reason I bring it up is that with an older bike, and one you'd like to travel on, not to mention having spent time doing frame painting etc, is that you should get the bb checked out, and the wheel hubs etc, everywhere where there is 20 year old grease.
good luck with your project
Old 12-20-18, 01:05 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
Pics of your conversions would be awesome. I know there are lots and lots of pics in the thread and video I listed...

You are arguing a pretty minority position and suggesting all those other people got it wrong or are just too cheap doesn't help your position at all.

But you and I arguing won't help. I would suggest that the person interested look at that thread and see if any of the many many many mtb dropbar conversions look appealing. Either they do or they don't. If they do they can read or watch how lots of other people have done it.

From that Vintage MTB Conversions thread (which I enjoyed reading, although my MTB still has its standard bars):

Originally Posted by himespau
One thing to keep in mind is that mtbs often have a longer top tube than a road bike so when you put on drop bars it extends the reach even more. A somewhat tall stem, lots of seatpost, and a frame that's a size or two small are what made it work for me.
Old 12-20-18, 02:35 PM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
'95 Specialized RochHopper. Once upon a time mountain bikes had really long wheelbases.

Old 12-20-18, 02:47 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Headpost
From that Vintage MTB Conversions thread (which I enjoyed reading, although my MTB still has its standard bars):
Sure. But that's the same consideration (in reverse) that changing from drops to a flat bar has with a road bike (if you are used to riding on the hoods) and is a lot different than saying it probably won't work.
Old 05-13-19, 11:33 PM
adlu

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, new user here. I'm planning a long distance trip in Latin America (starting in Mexico and going as far south as I can). Most of the advice I've read is to stick with 26" wheels, but do any of you have more recent information about availability of 29" and 27.5" wheels and parts in Latin American countries?

Is it still good advice to stick with 26" wheels when riding through developing countries?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-19, 07:38 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gorillimo
My 15 year old son rides a Specialized that looks to be the same year, model, and paint as yours. He loves this bike although he may outgrow the 18" frame eventually.
Old 07-04-19, 11:02 AM
Kenderbender

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Curious about pricing

Originally Posted by Philly Tandem
I took an older Co-Motion "OR" MTB frame and converted it to a touring bike. Swapped out the suspension fork for a Surly LHT 26" fork and had Bilenky Cycleworks add rear rack brazeons to the seatstays. It rides really well, including with a load.

Old post/thread but I was curious what Bilenky charged you for adding the brazeons?
Old 07-04-19, 05:05 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenderbender
Old post/thread but I was curious what Bilenky charged you for adding the brazeons?
It was a while ago, so I don't recall. They probably have pricing on their website. You will lose some paint on the frame from where they do the brazing. I wasn't too picky and just touched it up with a spray can that was close to the color.
Old 04-09-20, 03:44 PM
Descartes Ghost

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 1989 Schwinn Cimarron has plenty long chainstays, double eyelets front and back, lowrider front fork eyelets, and FIVE WATER BOTTLE BOSSES. Waiting on some Nitto rando-style handlebars... Pics to follow.
Old 04-11-20, 12:06 PM
danders

Bikes: Fuji World, Salsa Vaya, Rockhopper 96

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts

Not sure if this is one of the good years? Not touring anything but my neighborhood.
Was originally going to drop bar but top tube and stem seemed too long. V/O Milano bar
with a little pullback helped this, changed cassette to 8spd 11-34, new tires, pads.........

Curios about the feasibility of two piece 24mm 9spd triple cranks, 22/30/40
https://www.bikegallery.com/product/...t-360797-1.htm