Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How can you go fast on a df bike without aero bars?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How can you go fast on a df bike without aero bars?

Old 05-16-19, 09:36 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
the geometry of a time trial bike is different than a standard road bike.....i found extended time in the drops for aerodynamics to be cruel and unusual punishment....shove ur balls up to ur bellybutton for one not to mention back and arm fatigue
Rule #5 .
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 05-16-19, 11:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
a sphincter says what
Hearing voices is a pretty common psych symptom, but you're the first person I have seen who hears talking sphincters. I'd suggest getting that looked at.

Otherwise, if you really need to swipe 25 year old snark from Wayne's World, it's probably time to buy a new joke book.
Old 05-16-19, 11:58 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Hearing voices is a pretty common psych symptom, but you're the first person I have seen who hears talking sphincters. I'd suggest getting that looked at.

Otherwise, if you really need to swipe 25 year old snark from Wayne's World, it's probably time to buy a new joke book.
sphincters usually say that...it must be hard to see with ur head up ur,....
Old 05-17-19, 12:10 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
not sure it's even worth saying ****.

but ****.
Old 05-17-19, 12:21 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Pedal faster, my son. Pedal faster. Your quest is near.
Old 05-17-19, 04:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
sphincters usually say that...it must be hard to see with ur head up ur,....
You should try it, It's the ultimate aero position.

Sha-wing!!!!
Old 05-17-19, 07:11 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 66 Posts
Here's part of the article

What?s the difference between a triathlon bike and a TT bike?

Bike fit

In a time trial, a cyclist’s only concern is getting to the finish line as fast as possible, leaving them completely spent after an all-out effort when they get off their TT bike. A triathlete has the run to deal with afterwards, which often means a more forgiving set-up. A triathlete will generally want their forearms wider apart on the aero extensions, and bent at a slight angle at the shoulder down to the elbow. Having the seat tube on their tri bike further forward also puts less pressure on the hips and hamstrings.

The add-on accessories needed to tackle a swim/bike/run race and achieving a position that helps the triathlete to save their legs for the run are the things that ultimately set apart a triathlon bike from a time trial bike; and it goes without saying, it’s always worth getting a professional bike fit to optimise your own position if you’re looking to buy your first tri bike.
Old 05-17-19, 02:03 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Here's part of the article

What?s the difference between a triathlon bike and a TT bike?

Bike fit

In a time trial, a cyclist’s only concern is getting to the finish line as fast as possible, leaving them completely spent after an all-out effort when they get off their TT bike. A triathlete has the run to deal with afterwards, which often means a more forgiving set-up. A triathlete will generally want their forearms wider apart on the aero extensions, and bent at a slight angle at the shoulder down to the elbow. Having the seat tube on their tri bike further forward also puts less pressure on the hips and hamstrings.

The add-on accessories needed to tackle a swim/bike/run race and achieving a position that helps the triathlete to save their legs for the run are the things that ultimately set apart a triathlon bike from a time trial bike; and it goes without saying, it’s always worth getting a professional bike fit to optimise your own position if you’re looking to buy your first tri bike.
i agree well said