Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2005 Raleigh M-80/ fixing up questions

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-18-19, 10:29 AM
SunshineGirl

Bikes: 2005 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys, I was just given a 2005 Raleigh M-80 which I plan on fixing up and using, but I am not sure what parts to look for. As of now the bike has no wheels as I took the 26" wheels into a bike shop to have the spokes repaired but they told me that there was too much corrosion. So I told them to keep the wheels as i would buy some new ones - I forgot that the back wheel still had the cassette on it and now I dont know how many gears the bike has or what cassette to replace it with. Are disk breaks easy to install? I will only be riding on concrete bike paths away from the road.
Old 05-18-19, 11:26 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7618 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Check out this thread (https://www.bmxonline.com/raleigh-m80-review/) which has a bit of infor about the bike including, “Raleigh M80 is a 3x9 or 27-speed bike.”

In this thread (https://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain...80-229805.html) a few owners discuss possible upgrades …. For your uses, I would stay with the short-travel (75-80 mm) fork. Disc brakes are not hard to install. You will have to learn how to bleed them, but that is less complicated than tying shoelaces (which is actually pretty complicated.)

Or go with some Spyre mechanical disc brakes. Best mech discs on the market, super easy to maintain, work well enough, and a lot less hassle … certainly all you would need for the kind of riding you describe.

The basic bike—an old hardtail MTB—has a lot of fans on this site. Basically bulletproof, adaptable to a lot of uses from trails to singletrack to city commuting …. A “Go have fun” bike.

Best part is, you can use all sorts of not-expensive, readily available parts ….

Have a ton of fun. Don’t go crazy and spend a lot of money, though.

By the way … you could call the bike shop as ask for the cassette back. Worst they could do is say, “No,” in which case you could either work out a deal with them … or never go there again because they are taking advantage of you.