Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hybrid bike questions

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hybrid bike questions

Old 05-17-19, 08:33 AM
donald_s

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hybrid bike questions

I am looking at possibly buying a hybrid bike and had a couple of questions.

1. If I have a hybrid that has similar gearing and similar weight to a road bike, how much more difficult is climbing? Similar? Or night and day?

2. I was thinking about switching to a softer saddle because I'd be sitting back more on a hybrid, but the bike shop guy said a chamois would actually be better. Opinions?

Thanks!

Don
Old 05-17-19, 08:42 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
If the bike is the same weight with the same gearing as another bike...I doubt you'd notice much of a difference on climbing. In the flats the road bike will be faster because you're in a more aerodynamic riding position. But odds are if you have similar weight and gearing to a hybrid....the road bike isn't that great of a road bike to begin with.

Hybrids aren't known for being lightweight speed monsters.

As for the saddle....make your own decisions on the saddle. Don't listen to 'the right answer'. Every butt is different.

how long will you be riding the hybrid? If it's under 10 miles at a time...a soft comfortable saddle isn't a bad idea. You won't lose too much energy bouncing on the cushy foam that it will hinder your shorter ride. And it will for certain by more comfortable. If you are riding longer distances....the firmer saddle won't be as comfortable at first but it'll be a lot better after 40 miles since your butt muscles don't have to work overtime to stay in position. But again...your mileage may vary. Some people would rather a soft saddle for a ride to the Moon and back. They aren't wrong either. You have to pick what's best for you.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 05-17-19, 08:49 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Tread and size of tires may add another variable. Might just try a pair of cycling shorts to see if you like them. Hybrids are nice bikes for various kind of riding so I like them. But I like road bikes, mountain bikes, gravel bike, beach cruisers, on and on....

Old 05-17-19, 01:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by donald_s

1. If I have a hybrid that has similar gearing and similar weight to a road bike, how much more difficult is climbing? Similar? Or night and day?

2. I was thinking about switching to a softer saddle because I'd be sitting back more on a hybrid, but the bike shop guy said a chamois would actually be better. Opinions?

Thanks!

Don
Keep in mind that "hybrid" is a term for a lot of very different kinds of bikes. My FX 3 is absolutely great on hills, about as good as my road bikes. A more comfort-oriented hybrid just isn't.
Old 05-17-19, 02:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
what bike do you have now & why are you thinking about buying a "hybrid"? not asking to challenge you, hoping to gain more insight, to offer helpful answers
Old 05-17-19, 05:05 PM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hybrids can come in varieties.. Most stock saddles suck.. and you may have to try out a few saddles before you find one that fits you best.. The one I use for my Giant Toughroad SLR2 which is called an "adventure" bike.. It's def a Hybrid of Road and Gravel with a hint of MTB.. IS the Selle Royal Avenue <~ There is a link to check it out. It isn't that pricey in comparison to some others. It's Very comfortable for me and only costs $30 bucks.
It is a Gel saddle and I have ridden many miles on it.

Hybrids come in many diff forms.. some are lean toward Mountain Trail Bikes and some are more Road Oriented. You can tell by their parts and Gearing.
Often they are all a 3 front Gear Crank.. When you See them with a 48/36/26 That 48 tooth when paired with an 11 tooth in the rear and thinner tires on flat road you will be able to move out on that thing.. Generally you will see that in 3x8 or 3x9 and sometimes 3x10.
My bike is more mid range with a 44/32/22 which is pretty quick but would be a lil quicker with higher road gears and thinner tires than my beefy 700x50C tires
Old 05-18-19, 02:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Originally Posted by donald_s

Thanks!

Don
1) similar ... bar ends [Like the ones on Ergon grips GR 2~5] are like holding your drop bar lever hoods..

2) you can select* a little wider saddle without going to a softer one ( this is suggested by many saddle companies )

Chamois (no longer the hide of a particular Goat) is a seamless absorbent patch that absorbs your sweat..

if just riding around town a few miles it is not that important..

* Innumerable 'which saddle?' thread discussions have been posted,

Bene Sugg: Read those , Please , before starting a new one..

Old 05-19-19, 06:09 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 2,515 Times in 1,421 Posts
“Hybrid” is an utterly meaningless term. It can mean anything from skinny-tired road bike with a flat bar to an mountain-bike with slicks, to a bolt-upright 40 lb bike with big cushy saddle that you see in commercials for Depends.