Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good Chain Lube??? Mines WD40. :P

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Good Chain Lube??? Mines WD40. :P

Old 05-15-19, 07:13 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
The best way to keep dirt off is to have a fully enclosed chain case...like the Dutch town bikes in cities all over Neaderlands.
But these only work on bikes with IGH.

Having exposed chain is always going to be a losing battle, no matter what high tech lube you use.

SOmeone should invent a full chain case for derailleured bicycles.

How about Belt drive ?
Old 05-15-19, 08:54 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
How about Belt drive ?
A belt drive actually takes more watts to operate, https://www.bikeradar.com/news/chain...ich-is-faster/

Plus a belt drive weighs a lot more and thus combined with the wattage loss and the lack of gears it's impractical for a traditional road bike.
Old 05-17-19, 07:50 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 707 Times in 345 Posts
WD-40 is great stuff. I use it on chain, cables, derailleurs, brakes. And on frame tubes it really shines up the paint.
Old 05-17-19, 06:50 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I use WD40 to help degrease parts on my bike and old British sports car. It does a good job of breaking down grease and oil. And, it's easier to get it all off once the degreasing job is done.

Of course it's a good lubricant. After all it's "water displacement formula number 40" and was designed to prevent corrosion. Preventing corrosion and lubricating are the same thing, right?
Old 05-17-19, 06:56 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked 5,400 Times in 2,796 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Preventing corrosion and lubricating are the same thing, right?
Painting, powder-coating, electroplating, and anodizing, all prevent corrosion.
But I never heard anyone claim they are lubricants.
Old 05-17-19, 07:45 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Painting, powder-coating, electroplating, and anodizing, all prevent corrosion.
But I never heard anyone claim they are lubricants.
Hopefully y'all read my post as some good old Southern-style sarcasm....
Old 05-18-19, 12:29 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

No lube required for belt drive
Old 05-19-19, 02:08 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

No lube required for belt drive
Chains are about 34% more efficient than belts; more money consumed by belt drive; cost about $500 more for a new bike with belt drive vs chain; replacing worn out parts on the belt system ranges 400 to 800 percent more over chain drives; can't customize your gear ratios according to your needs; not practical for touring; so I'll give all up all of those advantages that chains have for a cleaner no lube system...
Old 05-20-19, 10:05 PM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
Chains are about 34% more efficient than belts; more money consumed by belt drive; cost about $500 more for a new bike with belt drive vs chain; replacing worn out parts on the belt system ranges 400 to 800 percent more over chain drives; can't customize your gear ratios according to your needs; not practical for touring; so I'll give all up all of those advantages that chains have for a cleaner no lube system...
Yes, but if you have the money for a Rohloff, or even better, a Pinion drive system, money is no object. And belts are quiet. I'm a retired engineer and I can't believe your efficiency numbers, I think that may be chains compared to V-BELTS which have significant friction losses (EDIT: They are comparing cogged belts to a fixed gear (cog) with chain, no derailleur); Cogged belts, especially narrow, Kevlar-core ones, are quite efficient, perhaps even superior to chains that have to run tight bends around small cogs and through the durailleur. Internal Gear Hubs have greater efficiency loss, on the order of 5-7% when not in the one direct-drive gear. The Pinion system may be better, but more expensive than my car, and requires a special-built frame. My only gripe about belts is that they require a frame with no chainstays or a break in them to be able to use a belt.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 05-20-19 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 09:12 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Yes, but if you have the money for a Rohloff, or even better, a Pinion drive system, money is no object. And belts are quiet. I'm a retired engineer and I can't believe your efficiency numbers, I think that may be chains compared to V-BELTS which have significant friction losses (EDIT: They are comparing cogged belts to a fixed gear (cog) with chain, no derailleur); Cogged belts, especially narrow, Kevlar-core ones, are quite efficient, perhaps even superior to chains that have to run tight bends around small cogs and through the durailleur. Internal Gear Hubs have greater efficiency loss, on the order of 5-7% when not in the one direct-drive gear. The Pinion system may be better, but more expensive than my car, and requires a special-built frame. My only gripe about belts is that they require a frame with no chainstays or a break in them to be able to use a belt.
Right. I was reading an article regarding a Gates Carbon Drive vs chain and thete was a cross over point where below which a chain is more efficient, above which a belt won. The results did have some variability with tension. Of course, this is different than a v-belt whose mode of operation is friction on an inclined plane.

As far as the Rolhoff, it does take a few percent of efficiency loss compared to a conventional chain/derailleur system. Noticably more loss in the lower ratios. 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear definitely feel like there is a bunch of things engaged inside combining for a "draggy" feel. They do get better as things break-in though. A couple of watts (like, under 10 at speed) is well worth the trade off for other considerations.
Old 05-21-19, 09:30 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
I only came here for the internet stranger arguments trying to tell the others they are dumber. Was not disappointed :
: :
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 05-21-19, 09:55 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Right. I was reading an article regarding a Gates Carbon Drive vs chain and thete was a cross over point where below which a chain is more efficient, above which a belt won. The results did have some variability with tension. Of course, this is different than a v-belt whose mode of operation is friction on an inclined plane.

As far as the Rolhoff, it does take a few percent of efficiency loss compared to a conventional chain/derailleur system. Noticably more loss in the lower ratios. 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear definitely feel like there is a bunch of things engaged inside combining for a "draggy" feel. They do get better as things break-in though. A couple of watts (like, under 10 at speed) is well worth the trade off for other considerations.

Ouch. If you can feel it like that, it's more than a couple of watts.
Old 05-21-19, 11:23 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Ouch. If you can feel it like that, it's more than a couple of watts.
Well, it might also have to do with rack, fenders, dynamo, chip seal, & being 30 pounds.

It's just the bottom of the range & I wouldn't call it "snappy" but a little "sponge" in relation to a chain...not that feel has much to do with actual efficiency. Cruising the world on a 15% grade at 3 or 4 mph gives a lot of time to fuss over minutia.

It is noticably better than when I got it 300 miles & a week & a half ago. When I was unloaded & held 30 mph in top gear @ 90rpm for about a half mile I wouldn't say hub efficiency even crossed my mind.
Old 05-22-19, 11:30 AM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
I've been using my old supply of Motul motorcycle chain lube. It's super tacky and doesn't sling off.

Are bicycle specific chain lubes tacky as well?
That is an excellent question. The ones I've used were not. WD-40 Bike line chain lube sprays on good, quick and convenient but not budget friendly. Bar and Chain Oil for chainsaws is tacky, and offers more thicker product for less money.
Likes For beach_cycle:
Old 05-22-19, 11:45 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by greatscott
Great info
Old 05-22-19, 11:47 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-B...23961909&psc=1

just buy this and be done with it

buy a bottle of the wet as well

you will be all set

its the best stuff available
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 05-22-19, 12:24 PM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by drlogik
I use WD40 to help degrease parts on my bike and old British sports car. It does a good job of breaking down grease and oil. And, it's easier to get it all off once the degreasing job is done.

Of course it's a good lubricant. After all it's "water displacement formula number 40" and was designed to prevent corrosion. Preventing corrosion and lubricating are the same thing, right?
I use WD-40 as a solvent to clean the chain and other parts. I let it sit overnight to evaporate, then apply Tri Flow which I also let sit overnight. Seems to be working.
Old 05-22-19, 07:55 PM
greatscott

Great info
So you want more info because mine didn't work for you? What? all you people can't use google?

https://www.cantitoeroad.com/Chains-...ists_b_23.html

https://www.downtube.com/pages/belt-...ich-to-choose/

https://www.rodbikes.com/articles/gates-belt-drive.html

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...rformance-only
Old 05-23-19, 01:43 AM
Witterings

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I've been using my old supply of Motul motorcycle chain lube. It's super tacky and doesn't sling off.

Originally Posted by beach_cycle
That is an excellent question. The ones I've used were not. WD-40 Bike line chain lube sprays on good, quick and convenient but not budget friendly. Bar and Chain Oil for chainsaws is tacky, and offers more thicker product for less money.
If it's tacky and sticks to the chain I would have thought it also means it'll attract dirt and debris which will stay on the chain causing damage as opposed to getting thrown off as it rotates.

Isn't this the reason for having wet and dry lube .... dry is theoretically better as it doesn't allow dust etc to attach to it so easily and the chain stays cleaner BUT it gets washed off too easily when it's wet offering no lubrication and hence why the need for wet in the winter months??

That's not saying I have the definitive answer but just throwing what I've read elsewhere and seems logical into the pot for discussion.

I think Baby Oil would be best because it smells nicer than the others
Old 05-23-19, 06:05 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
I don't know where/how you guys ride, but I've never had to degrease or "clean" a chain in my life! Just wipe down with a clean rag after each ride and apply lube when needed. My chains have looked good enough to floss with! (granted I NEVER ride in mud, and avoid rainy rides at all costs).
Likes For Dirt Farmer:
Old 05-23-19, 08:21 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts

Motorcycle chain lube is much heavier than bike lube. Not saying ti doesn't work, but I've seen studies that appear to prove that lube that heavy does steal wattage from your efforts.
Old 05-23-19, 08:52 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,979 Times in 1,413 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
I don't know where/how you guys ride, but I've never had to degrease or "clean" a chain in my life! Just wipe down with a clean rag after each ride and apply lube when needed. My chains have looked good enough to floss with! (granted I NEVER ride in mud, and avoid rainy rides at all costs).
I don’t know where/how you ride but I’ve never had to wipe my chain down after every ride in my life! I just clean my chain and re-lube it every few hundred miles.

-Matt
Old 05-25-19, 02:12 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
Motorcycle chain lube is much heavier than bike lube. Not saying ti doesn't work, but I've seen studies that appear to prove that lube that heavy does steal wattage from your efforts.
My bikes steal plenty of watts in other areas. Weights are 30 lbs and 40 lbs, so that's something to consider.

Also, a chain with tacky lube pulls off a sprocket easier than pulling a piece of transparent tape, so I'm not too worried.
Old 05-25-19, 02:14 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I don’t know where/how you ride but I’ve never had to wipe my chain down after every ride in my life! I just clean my chain and re-lube it every few hundred miles.

-Matt
He's the "Dirt Farmer"! Gotta be gettin' some of that dirt on his bike!
Old 05-25-19, 04:35 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
My bikes steal plenty of watts in other areas. Weights are 30 lbs and 40 lbs, so that's something to consider.

Also, a chain with tacky lube pulls off a sprocket easier than pulling a piece of transparent tape, so I'm not too worried.

I'm not arguing with a man who rides a 40lb bike. You might throw it at me.
Likes For smoore:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.