Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano shoes: normal vs wide

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-20-19, 04:11 AM
iamLefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

I’m looking to buy Shimano RP3, size 45 EU standard. But only the “wide” is available. Any RP3 owners here? How big of a difference is there on the toe area? Would a normal sized feet still fit snug on wide RP3? I’m buying online so i can’t personally try it on.

Last edited by iamLefty; 05-20-19 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-30-19, 01:12 AM
iamLefty

Anyone? And do i still need to go a size up if i get the wide size?
Old 05-30-19, 08:24 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 400 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty
I’m looking to buy Shimano RP3, size 45 EU standard. But only the “wide” is available. Any RP3 owners here? How big of a difference is there on the toe area? Would a normal sized feet still fit snug on wide RP3? I’m buying online so i can’t personally try it on.
I will say this...
Last year I purchased a pair of Shimano RP1 size 48, EE width (I think EE...nevertheless they're "wider"). I specifically sought a wider shoe than the shoes I was wearing. I have Morton's neuroma (Mn) in my left foot that had gotten worse in recent years and the narrower shoes cause some discomfort on longer rides. The extra width of the RP1 works, and I don't have the Mn discomfort on longer rides. I can't compare the PR1 to the RP3, but with regard to the extra width...although the wider shoe did give me relief...I don't think the extra width is excessive (and also better accommodates an extra pair of socks on winter rides). But, I would suggest that you make sure you can return them if you're not happy with the width.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 05-30-19 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-30-19, 10:27 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I like most American have a wide foot, and I got the Shimano wide shoe. I even got a 1/2 size larger to make sure they would be wide enough.

One way to tell if your cycling shoe is too narrow is you get "hot foot" pain after a couple of hours.
Old 05-30-19, 10:43 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I can't compare the PR1 to the RP3, but with regard to the extra width...although the wider shoe did give me relief...I don't think the extra width is excessive.....

Dan
Thanks, that is what i wanted to hear. If it’s not that excessive, i think it’s fine. I’ve just read in cyclingtips.com that for the wide fit, 5-6% is added to the volume of the shoe.
Old 05-30-19, 11:03 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by rydabent
One way to tell if your cycling shoe is too narrow is you get "hot foot" pain after a couple of hours.
Too snug. That’s how my feet feels on my Nike Free Flyknit, size 10 US, 44 EU. It’s what i currently use on long rides coz its sole got good grip. Before the ride home, i sometimes take them off for a minute or two to let my feet breathe (although the shoe is breathable already all over the upper). With my older Nike Free Run, size 11 (46 eu, although i don’t think it really is size 11, more like 10.5 US, coz my Adidas size 11 is bigger) as soon as i put my foot in, it feels comfortably snug. just perfect.

I still haven’t bought any shoe coz aside from the wide vs normal thing, i’m actually not sure if it’s 45 or 46 that fits me best. I asked around, some said get 46, most say 45.

Last edited by iamLefty; 05-30-19 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-30-19, 11:52 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
I like most American have a wide foot
If that were true, I would expect wide cycling shoes to be the norm rather than the exception.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-30-19, 06:40 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I still haven’t bought any shoe coz aside from the wide vs normal thing, i’m actually not sure if it’s 45 or 46 that fits me best. I asked around, some said get 46, most say 45.
It has been my experience that Shimano shoes run small. I just had a pair of RP5's here to try on in size 48, I normally wear a 12D street shoe. The 48's were fine in length. I ended going with the Specialized Torch 2.0 in size 46.5 which fit perfectly and match size wise with what fits in most other cycling shoes I've tried on. And my Shimano mtn. bike shoes from the early 2000's are also 48's. If possible I would try to order from a company with a good return policy since mail order shoes are kind of hit or miss as far as fitting comfortably.
Old 05-30-19, 06:58 PM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Since Italians are big into cycling and have been for a long time, and are known for leather products and shoes, cycling shoes run narrow since apparently Italian feet run narrow.

If the cycling world gave us what many of us like or want, there would be a huge number of beautiful lugged framed steel bikes.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-30-19, 07:26 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Since Italians are big into cycling and have been for a long time, and are known for leather products and shoes, cycling shoes run narrow since apparently Italian feet run narrow.

If the cycling world gave us what many of us like or want, there would be a huge number of beautiful lugged framed steel bikes.
Amen!!!
Old 05-31-19, 01:12 AM
iamLefty

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I will say this...
Last year I purchased a pair of Shimano RP1 size 48...

Dan
How’s the ventilation of RP1, is it as well ventilated as the RP2 and RP3? Does the shoe look good? I haven’t seen one personally. In photos it looks nice, but in a youtube vid, synthetic upper looks cheap. Looking at it’s photo, it seems like its upper is like that of the RP4.
Old 05-31-19, 11:29 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 400 Posts
How’s the ventilation of RP1, is it as well ventilated as the RP2 and RP3? Does the shoe look good? I haven’t seen one personally. In photos it looks nice, but in a youtube vid, synthetic upper looks cheap. Looking at it’s photo, it seems like its upper is like that of the RP4.
It looks OK for me. As far as ventilation...that mesh over the toebox doesn't really seem to be a mesh. But there are lots of vent holes in the leather upper. The ventilation is fine for me.
Old 05-31-19, 11:51 AM
zoolzoo

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too snug. That’s how my feet feels on my Nike Free Flyknit, size 10 US, 44 EU. It’s what i currently use on long rides coz its sole got good grip. Before the ride home, i sometimes take them off for a minute or two to let my feet breathe (although the shoe is breathable already all over the upper). With my older Nike Free Run, size 11 (46 eu, although i don’t think it really is size 11, more like 10.5 US, coz my Adidas size 11 is bigger) as soon as i put my foot in, it feels comfortably snug. just perfect.

If you feel Nike is too narrow, def get the shimano wide and youll have a really comfy shoe that will still get nice and snug. You will just have extra room for your foot to plant down properly. I cant wear Nike... I always buy running shoes with a wide toe box. I got shimano shoes in wide and they are the best. Going wide will be better than going up a size and creating a bunch of room in front of your toes.