Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why the LBS are dying out ...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why the LBS are dying out ...

Old 05-18-19, 12:35 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Business fail when they fail to innovate. When you see trends changing, don't stick to the same old routine, change with them.

I've never had to wait more than 30 minutes at my LBS for anything...ever. I guess that's why they're still around after 50 years.
Originally Posted by Revoltingest
The internet has changed everything....
- Often no sales tax
- Bigger inventory
- Cheaper
- No driving anywhere
There is tax thanks to people saying there is no tax. Politicians websurf too.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Why didn't you buy the bleed kit and deliver it?

Would have saved time and money.
And kinda defeat the "service" purpose, don't you think?
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 05-19-19, 02:40 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
It actually does cost more. You are correct the tooling, materials, and labor cost the same, but you are using the tooling far less frequently than the tooling for the RH thread, meaning the amortized cost onto each part must be higher. Couple that with shutting down production, switching over the line, and starting it up for a limited run of LH thread nuts also costs money.

You'll quickly find anything outside the norm in the fastener world costs money, and lots of it.
Ok so you have to shut down an entire plant to make one reversed thread nut...NO YOU DON'T, I use to work in a machine shop in my early 20's for about 3 months because it was horribly boring, but I digress, anyway, if a special project came only one machine was shut down, the rest continued in the plant doing what the plant normally did. And since now most of that stuff is made in China the labor is incredibly low, so no I disagree with the additional cost of the nut. And nuts are fast to make, the nut is made threadless, than the threads are cut with a tapper, just the tapper is replaced to cut the threads reversed, but that's not the difficult part, whether reversed or not you have to have the right tapper for various thread counts and pitches that are out there to do the job. But even with that difficulty to get the right count and pitch nuts are fast to make and doesn't require the whole plant to shut down production. The place where I worked was a small scale operation, large scale operations are even more efficient then the place I was at for doing huge variety of nuts and bolts at the same time, so just one machine needs to be shut down to converted, just as it would have to be for a nut with a normal thread but the count and or the pitch is different. So by the definition of what you said is the reason the reverse cut nut cost more than all nuts would cost $3 or so because the cutting machine has to be stopped for all sorts of nuts for the retooling to occur for the next type.
Old 05-19-19, 03:16 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 314 Posts
I went to my LBS this morning. Big Daves in Pleasant Hill. Got new brake pads for my Shimano V brakes. About the same price I saw them on line (jensen) before going over there. I also tryed on some gloves and bought a pair of those too. In fact I had bought the brakes there too about 5 years ago to replace the crappy Tektro units that came on my bike (Biria). I must say that I don’t understand all the whining about shops not having this or that part. The shop I go to almost always has the part or gets it and is very helpful to boot. But I guess some people need something to complain about.
Old 05-20-19, 07:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
I did an overnight tour this past weekend. My route took me past a LBS. It was opened maybe fours year ago by the guy who speced my Engin when he worked at the LBS where it was built. I wanted to thank him for helping out my ex after she was seriously injured in a crash out his way. (He held her bike for her until someone could pick it up.) Only got to speak with him for a few minutes because the shop was extremely busy.

If you are ever in the Phoenixville, PA area check out the place:

https://twistedcog.com/
Likes For indyfabz: