Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Bike Multitool

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best Bike Multitool

Old 05-19-19, 06:00 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I ordered that Wolf tooth and the 2 plastic tire levers that turns into one. So far the plastic has won on bike but the Wolf tooth is cool as hell. I'm sure will eventually win but too long for my Ortlieb micro seat bag.

Old 05-19-19, 06:18 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
I ordered that Wolf tooth and the 2 plastic tire levers that turns into one. So far the plastic has won on bike but the Wolf tooth is cool as hell. I'm sure will eventually win but too long for my Ortlieb micro seat bag.
Ha. I put the Wolf in my cart for purchase in the not too distant future.
Old 05-19-19, 06:29 PM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Still the best bike multitool made.
I just realized I have one of these tools. I had bought an old bike for parts and it was in the bike bag.
Old 05-19-19, 10:18 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I think it's worth mentioning a really basic tool, even if it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles. This is what I carry, sufficient for adjusting something or tightening a loose fastener.

https://www.amazon.com/Eklind-21171-.../dp/B0186KCA2G

They make several different styles with different sizes. They're quite old fashioned, basic, all metal. But they're fairly compact, take a lot of abuse, and last forever. And they won't break the bank. It doesn't take much for a multi-tool to be worth more than my bike.
Old 05-19-19, 10:51 PM
Geekage

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I've broken the Topeak Chan tool, so won't use aluminum chain tools any more.

The Park 6 Pack contains 3 of the above (spoke key, flat driver, 5mm, steel chain tool), so I just add a separate 4mm Allen key.

That's actually the Pedro's Six Pack.

In a previous reply, I had shown a picture of a cheap eBay chain tool that looks very similar. Having just taken the time to test it out, I cannot recommend it, for a couple of reasons.

Though it looks identical to the Pedro's, mine came with a slightly bent pin. That might not have been a problem, but the slot to press the rivet in through is very tight. With a bent pin, the rivet is no longer centered over the slot, so you're just trying to press it straight against the tool. Finally, the quality of metal used is pretty poor. Even after centering the rivet on the slot, it was very difficult to press the rivet out. It seems the threads were getting mangled (yeah, technical term) when trying to press the pin in. I was actually able to press the rivet out after greasing the threads.

This is no reflection on the Pedro's Six Pack. The reviews of it have been very positive and I'm sure it is made to much higher standards. Just going by the pictures, the finish is nicer, probably because it is also made with a better material.

So there you go, a cheap eBay tool doesn't compare to the part it's undercutting by over 80 percent.

Also, this goes to show, you should really test your tools before thinking of depending on them on the road or trail.

Finally, in my previously mentioned post, I said I'd test the Mineral Design Barstow. It had no problems with the same chain I tested the eBay special on. I'm unsure whether I will get more of the Barstow, buy a Six Pack, or experiment with something else. The Industry Nine Matchstix looks appealing, but I don't have any thru axles to use it with anyway.
Old 05-20-19, 06:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,826 Times in 4,621 Posts
In tens of thousands of miles, I've only ever needed

Spoke wrench
4mm Allen key
5mm Allen key
Flat driver
Chain tool
1 lever

I've broken the Topeak Chan tool, so won't use aluminum chain tools any more.

The Park 6 Pack contains 3 of the above (spoke key, flat driver, 5mm, steel chain tool), so I just add a separate 4mm Allen key.

This thing looks great! I can't find it at the Park website, so I am guessing you bought it some time back and it has been discontinued. Shoot.
Old 05-20-19, 06:57 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Geekage
That's actually the Pedro's Six Pack.

In a previous reply, I had shown a picture of a cheap eBay chain tool that looks very similar. Having just taken the time to test it out, I cannot recommend it, for a couple of reasons.

Though it looks identical to the Pedro's, mine came with a slightly bent pin. That might not have been a problem, but the slot to press the rivet in through is very tight. With a bent pin, the rivet is no longer centered over the slot, so you're just trying to press it straight against the tool. Finally, the quality of metal used is pretty poor. Even after centering the rivet on the slot, it was very difficult to press the rivet out. It seems the threads were getting mangled (yeah, technical term) when trying to press the pin in. I was actually able to press the rivet out after greasing the threads.

This is no reflection on the Pedro's Six Pack. The reviews of it have been very positive and I'm sure it is made to much higher standards. Just going by the pictures, the finish is nicer, probably because it is also made with a better material.

So there you go, a cheap eBay tool doesn't compare to the part it's undercutting by over 80 percent.

Also, this goes to show, you should really test your tools before thinking of depending on them on the road or trail.

Finally, in my previously mentioned post, I said I'd test the Mineral Design Barstow. It had no problems with the same chain I tested the eBay special on. I'm unsure whether I will get more of the Barstow, buy a Six Pack, or experiment with something else. The Industry Nine Matchstix looks appealing, but I don't have any thru axles to use it with anyway.
Originally Posted by Koyote
This thing looks great! I can't find it at the Park website, so I am guessing you bought it some time back and it has been discontinued. Shoot.
Sorry, I meant Pedros. Still available on their site for$15.
Old 05-20-19, 07:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Steel is real.
Old 05-20-19, 07:45 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,826 Times in 4,621 Posts
Sorry, I meant Pedros. Still available on their site for$15.
Thanks for the additional info.
Old 05-20-19, 01:19 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft
My favorite so far is the Topeak Hexus II. I haven’t tried the Hexus X but looking at it I can’t see anything that would make me prefer it. The tire levers and chain tool of the Hexus II work really well.
The Hexus II is the one I carry in the saddle bag of the bike I ride far from home on. Haven't had to use the chain break yet (well, I've doomed myself now, haven't I?), but the other tools have been fine in a pinch.

I only carry an IB-2 multitool by Park in the bike I keep at work. I'm never far enough away my office to worry about anything that it can't handle. Plus I keep a Planet Bike set of tire levels in the bag, so I'm set to go, I think.
Old 05-20-19, 03:13 PM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
The Hexus II is the one I carry in the saddle bag of the bike I ride far from home on. Haven't had to use the chain break yet (well, I've doomed myself now, haven't I?), but the other tools have been fine in a pinch.

I only carry an IB-2 multitool by Park in the bike I keep at work. I'm never far enough away my office to worry about anything that it can't handle. Plus I keep a Planet Bike set of tire levels in the bag, so I'm set to go, I think.
At home I recently broke my dedicated chain breaker (it wasn't a particularly good on) on a difficult chain and ended up pulling out my Hexus II which broke it no problem. I'm also a firm believer in being prepared because I rather carry around a good multi-tool and take a few gram weight penalty than ever be stuck wishing I had one.
Old 05-21-19, 06:55 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
Park MT-1 for me.
simple and pragmatic
I like the Park Tool MT-1 too, it's definitely simple and elegant looking. But I usually carry a Crank Brothers M19, the case also provides a nice place to keep some emergency cash.

Park Tool MT-1

Crank Brothers M19
Old 05-24-19, 01:21 PM
BikeLite

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales
There are so many choices out there. Some Great.. Some Adequate.. some suck.. And some that have tools you will never use.

Of course a Multi tool will never replace some good quality shop tools.. but when you are on a ride alone or with a group.. They can really
save your Butt.. Ive also had to help out friends that did not have one with me and had a chain failure or their grip wasn't tight and was sliding around making riding very annoying and potentially dangerous for him etc etc etc.. Many things.. That one quality multi-tool can come in handy
and at least make it so you can get home. I generally Just Carry One on me. But Sometimes I will Carry 2 diff types on me if I am going on a longer ride.
Below I will list a few that I personally use, what I think of them and whether I think their are better choices out there.

First is a cheap one
WOTOW 16 in One For under $10 You get a lot. It was my first multitool and has saved me often. The fact that it comes with Tire levers was a nice bonus
The construction is solid enough.. and if you are on a very tight budget.. It's a good buy.. I did find there are many tools I really don't use when I am on the trails.. It does lack a couple things I would like

Second is
Crankbrothers M17 Which is a Very useful tool and most all of the tools on this thing are useful to you or someone you may be riding with.. It even has a Chain Tool to fix a broken or jammed link and though it's rated up to 10 speed chains many comments say it works on 11 speed chains as well. It has a torx 25 for your disc brakes if you run into an issue and a 8mm allen Key for pedals if your bike needs it that many multitools lack. And for just over $20 it's a an amazing Value.. Plus it is Built VERY well and comes in many diff colors to fit whatever style you want if you are into that sort of thing..
There is another one.. Crankbrothers M19 Is on sale now for the same price as the M17 which has a couple extra tools Plus comes with a nice aluminum case. The M17 does not and I did not know this before buying the M17.. I love my tool.. But it's nice that the M19 gives you a few extra things.

The Leatherman Wingman while not a "Bike Tool" is a very useful tool and built well.. I have it.. What I don't get is.. When I bought it 4-5yrs ago it was about $30 and has now doubled in price to about $60.. so even though I like my tool.. If you were to want to pick up a multitool with
a set of Pliers.. I would spend a lil more and get the Leatherman Wave Plus for $99 Which has more tools, better build quality, is a lil bigger in the hand so you can grip things a bit better and you can replace parts of it if they wear out plus you can get accessories. Im going to pick one up soon.

There are so many amazing Multitools out there that I haven't mentioned.

What are some that have served you well over the years? Which Bike Multitool do you feel is the "Best" ?
This guy is just sending amazon affiliate links to make money.
Likes For BikeLite:
Old 05-24-19, 03:33 PM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
This guy is just sending amazon affiliate links to make money.
Holy cow I didn’t even notice that. What a putz. OP reported. I’m going to go block him also.
Likes For Mitkraft:
Old 07-15-19, 03:12 PM
iamLefty

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Better multi tool for road bikes...Crank Brothers M17 or Topeak Hexus X?
Old 07-16-19, 08:24 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty
Better multi tool for road bikes...Crank Brothers M17 or Topeak Hexus X?
Crank brothers - you save 2 oz

More seriously, the M17 seems to have more functions tool-wise but if the Hexus X has all the bits your road bike needs I'd go with that one since it integrates tire levers I suppose.
Old 07-16-19, 10:14 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
What's the best multitool? Depends on what problems are likely and your access to help.

I do day rides of up to 75 miles from home. If I get truly stuck I can call home for a ride, or call a cab, but I have never had to. Here's my multitool:
It has 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, and 8mm hex wrenches, and a small flat-blade screwdriver. For the riding I do, this is all I need.

I have never had a chain problem in over 40 years of riding, and on a three-month cross-country tour, so I don't carry a chain tool (I did on the tour).

My most frequent on-road problem is tire punctures, typically one or two per season. I carry an extra tube, patch kit and a pump. I don't carry tire levers because I can remove and install my tires by hand.

My next most common problem is, uh…hmmm…

A few years ago a derailer cable broke. I used the flat-blade to adjust the low-limit screw to a middle gear and rode home. My fault for lack of maintenance on the cable.

That's it. Some of these jackknife-style tools look capable of totally rebuilding a bike, and if I were going on a tour, I'd carry one. But I maintain my bike at home, and I'm not going to pull a crank or true a wheel on the roadside.

Off-road riders have different problems and may need extensive tools, but for a day trippin' road guy, this little Park tool is all I am likely to need. (Famous last words )
Old 07-16-19, 10:29 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
I've had a couple of the more elaborate, big name units, (Crank Bros? Topeak? I forget) but now I just have 3 old-school Park multi-tools, that I've had for decades now. I don't even know what they're called, but they're the ones that look kinda like a big blue Boy Scout knife. Two just have Allens, but one has a Phillips and a flat-head in it, too. I get tons of use out of those things, and never go on a ride without one.
Old 07-16-19, 01:37 PM
iamLefty

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I just ordered and went with the Hexus X. The m17 looks way better and is a great multi tool, but the Hexus X has more tools i need for my rb, the T30, valve core tool, tire levers, even the chain hook. Doesn’t have a flat screw though or it would’ve been a complete multi tool for me.
Old 07-17-19, 01:51 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 2,790 Times in 1,795 Posts
I like the Spin Doctor multitool I got from Nashbar last year on blowout for something like $15. The chain and spoke tools are really good -- I've used them instead of my shop chain and spoke tools a few times. But there's no way to fold it flat. It mostly goes in my hybrid's larger saddle bag.

Spin Doctor Rescue 16. It's good. Doesn't quite lay flat.

But recently I wanted a minimalist multi-tool that also included a chain tool. It needed to fit inside the dinky Lezyne Road Caddy, along with a tube, levers, patch kit, and maybe a CO2 inflator (the Road Caddy is too small for a complete CO2 kit unless I omit something else).

Amazon read my mind and suggested the Hero Kit multi-tool. It's the first I've seen with a chain tool that lays flat. The reviews seemed honest, mentioning some rusting with the early samples. That's an indication of high carbon steel, which should be tougher. One of my Topeak multi-tools is carbon steel, no problems with rust here in Texas.

So I bought the Hero Kit. It seems good. I've only used a couple of the Allen keys so far, but it seems to be well made. And it fits the Lezyne Road Caddy perfectly.

If I can find a CO2 inflator smaller than my Red Zeppelin I might be able to fit a CO2 cartridge and inflator in the Road Caddy. Pretty good deal for my only carbon bike. On my steel bike I'm less weight conscious and carry a Serfas Speed Bag with plenty of room for junk.

Hero Kit multi-tool with chain tool. It lays perfectly flat. And fits in a dinky Lezyne Road Caddy.
Old 07-17-19, 07:14 AM
MEversbergII

This article here may be relevant.

They seem to think the Topeak Mini20 Pro is the best overall choice, but their criteria might not be everyone's.

I've recently replaced my chunky $5 Chinese multitool with a Crank Brothers M10. The latter is a bit more svelte and shouldn't get in its own way as often. Covers all the screws on my current bike from what I can tell and it matches the Red/Black color scheme I've got going on to boot!

I think the Blackburn Tradesman might be a future tool for the next bike I add in to the stable; lots of tools and it has integral stowage for a set of quick-links - which is neat..
Old 07-17-19, 07:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
This article here may be relevant.

They seem to think the Topeak Mini20 Pro is the best overall choice, but their criteria might not be everyone's.

I've recently replaced my chunky $5 Chinese multitool with a Crank Brothers M10. The latter is a bit more svelte and shouldn't get in its own way as often. Covers all the screws on my current bike from what I can tell and it matches the Red/Black color scheme I've got going on to boot!

I think the Blackburn Tradesman might be a future tool for the next bike I add in to the stable; lots of tools and it has integral stowage for a set of quick-links - which is neat..
The problem with that article is that they only compared the chunky multitools. How would they stand up to something like the Fix-it-Sticks or the Full Windsor Breaker or the old Cool Tool, for that matter? All of those tools have a smaller shape which fits hands better. As you say, the wide chunky tools get in their own way far too often.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-17-19, 08:17 AM
MEversbergII

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The problem with that article is that they only compared the chunky multitools. How would they stand up to something like the Fix-it-Sticks or the Full Windsor Breaker or the old Cool Tool, for that matter? All of those tools have a smaller shape which fits hands better. As you say, the wide chunky tools get in their own way far too often.
Yeah, I think they wanted just the traditional styles since that's probably what most envision when they think multi-tool. The Fix-it-Sticks are a non-starter for them since a chaintool was a must to even compete in their listing, but I would like to see them stack the Breaker in there with the rest.
Old 07-17-19, 08:50 AM
buck1973

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I used to carry a multi-tool on each of my bikes. There's only one bike that has a multi-tool in its seat bag now. I love multi-tools! They're cool. I have expensive ones and cheap ones and now I don't use them hardly at all. Why? They simply do not work well as a real tool, when you need a tool to really work as a tool should.

Yes they have all of those sweet little tools in that nice compact carbon-sided folding swiss army-like frame and it even comes with a built-in chain breaker that doesn't work very well.

Yep, I have some of the very best multi-tools made. I now carry individual tools in the seat bag needed for the specific bike. Why? They work better.

Is it cool to carry individual 5mm and 4mm Allen keys, a Park chain tool, two tire irons and a small Phillips screwdriver? No. But when my bike broke down and all I had was my cool $100 dollar Lezyne Carbon-10 tool...it didn't work! Beautiful tool, truly gorgeous but it simply did not function well.

I now have individual sets of tools tailored for each of my bikes. They really don't add much more weight or space than the multi-tool they replaced. However, I bought a PB Swiss Tools multi-tool last year as a "oh what the heck" impulse buy.

Although it is a "multi-tool", it actually functions as a dedicated tool with swappable bits. Meaning, it works pretty darn well...and it has a tire iron! The jury is still out on this tool, and I keep it on one bike. It wasn't cheap either but it out-performs every other multi-tool I own. PB Swiss makes really fine quality tools...in Switzerland. I have a set of their Allen keys and they are the finest I have ever used. Better than my Bondhus Allen's, which are also very good tools.

I carry this tool and a chain breaker on the one bike and I'm confident that if I need it to really function, it will. This tool:

https://shop.pbtools.us/PB-470-BikeTool_c2.htm

There is a Victorinox tool which is exactly the same, but slightly cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The picture on amazon doesn't show it, but mine came branded both Victorinox and PB Swiss. It's the same quality as my other PB Swiss tools.
Old 07-17-19, 09:02 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
I used to carry one of these more minimalist multi-tools, when riding bikes that had just 1-2 sizes of Allen bolts. My main 2 bikes now have a few critical bolts that are smaller (like the stem and seatpost collar), so I don;t use it much anymore, but I miss the practical simplicity and lower weight/bulk.These would always squeeze into a seat bag, no matter how full it already was.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.