Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Whatever happened to the laid-back days of old?

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Whatever happened to the laid-back days of old?

Old 05-15-19, 07:59 PM
Humpy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by streetstomper View Post
...they didn't use standard terminology, like the reviews saying a bike had "forks" instead of a fork.
That's reprehensible but don't let it harsh your mellow, man.
Old 05-15-19, 08:20 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I swear this reads like a mid-Winter thread.
Old 05-17-19, 05:31 PM
MNHarv

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Have you been to Minnesota? It's winter, late winter, two weeks of ice-out on the lakes they call summer, and pre winter. I've lived here about twenty years and can't wait to leave.

Practicing burning all my bridges so that I'm fully prepared when I leave in two years. The problem is, the more a-hole I become (not my nature) the more accepted I become. In another year I'll be declining invitations with scorn and derision. In two, they'll erect a monument to me and start a new Lutheran denomination in my honor. I'll hate every minute of it.

Last edited by MNHarv; 05-17-19 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-17-19, 06:15 PM
FiftySix
where's the gas tank?

Bikes: Schwinn Jaguar 7, Norco Cityglide 8IGH

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
"How much for the little one?"

I just noticed that kid on the right has a "slick" rear tire on his Stingray. Those were highly-coveted for skidding, which is about all they were any good for, since they were shaped like a regular car tire and were useless when the bike was leaned over making a turn. But they were great for "doughnuts", as us evil white kids called them.
Shoot yeah. Me, my brother, and all the neighbor kids on my street had those flat profile slick rear tires on banana seat bikes in the mid 1970s. None of our parents put up the money for a Sting Ray, that was a dream bike. Mine was a bicentennial inspired red, white, and blue Free Spirit from Sears.

We rode the snot out of those things.

Then the BMX wave came to our part of the world and all of us converted our cheater slick bikes to wannabe BMX bikes. New seats, handlebars, tires, and rattle can paint jobs.

Good times. Good times.
Old 05-17-19, 08:51 PM
mstateglfr
Sunshine

Bikes: '87 Miyata 912, '87 Schwinn Prelude, '90 Fuji Saratoga, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 2782 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Cl904 View Post
Laid back cycling? Thatís the only kind I do. I ride for fun, nothing else.

its much easier to be laid back on your bike when you leave the helmet, clicky shoes, and spandex at home. Throw some flat pedals on your bike and go for a ride in normal clothes. Wave at people when they say hello. Smoke one. Remember riding as a kid, and bring THAT joy back.
As a kid...
- I remember riding as fast as possible and racing my friends to arbitrary landmarks along our rides.
- I remember building tabletop and double jumps in the woods and riding our bmx bikes on the track that was created.

So you are saying I should bring that not back by riding as fast as I can now and trying a bunch of dumb and dangerous things that came close to ending my chance of having kids many times?

I'm game for the first, but not interested in the second. Too old. I'll stick to some river bottom singletrack as the most technical riding I see.
Old 05-18-19, 05:51 AM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
As a kid...
- I remember riding as fast as possible and racing my friends to arbitrary landmarks along our rides.
- I remember building tabletop and double jumps in the woods and riding our bmx bikes on the track that was created.

So you are saying I should bring that not back by riding as fast as I can now and trying a bunch of dumb and dangerous things that came close to ending my chance of having kids many times?

I'm game for the first, but not interested in the second. Too old. I'll stick to some river bottom singletrack as the most technical riding I see.
Whatever it takes to recapture that joy.
Likes For Cl904:
Old 05-18-19, 07:07 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Time for a music break.
Also my Dad, who was a WW2 veteran, when we would ask him to tell us about the good Ole days would say " the only good thing about the good Ole days is they are past", right before launching into a great story.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 05-19-19, 07:33 AM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by streetstomper View Post
The whole point of this topic is that the Bicycle Rider covers in the original post show that things were still laid-back in the 80s. Covers on the major cycling magazines were likewise focused on fun and enjoyment. It wasn't until around the mid-1990s or 2000 that Bicycling, the last surviving US cycling mag, went whole hog on racing bikes, especially the $8000-15,000 models that show up in their reviews regularly now. Can't remember the last time I saw a touring or commuting article, not that I read it regularly anymore. No more articles on centuries, while there's the occasional list of competitive hillclimbs. Riders don't smile on the covers anymore. The message now seems to be if you're not suffering on the bike, you're not really riding. No articles on regular maintenance, like how to true your own wheels or even how to wrap your handlebars. Bicycling isn't an everyman's sport anymore.
Very few "serious" adult riders smile anymore! Be it on trail, road, or street
Old 05-19-19, 01:21 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cl904 View Post
Throw some flat pedals on your bike..

Ah, now one of my bikes does have toe straps, but in my defense I need them to stop gravity pulling my feet off the pedals. I'm still pretty laid-back when riding it though..

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
They were shaped like a regular car tire and were useless when the bike was leaned over making a turn.
I could do with one of those. In a 24. Hard to find now. The nearest I've seen off the shelf lately is the dubiously named Thick Brick.
Old 05-19-19, 02:28 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Falcon San Remo Super Route; Jamis Coda Sport; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hmmm, the OP has not posted here since 05/12. I wonder if he slyly made whatever point he was trying to make?
Old 05-19-19, 02:56 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 52 Posts
Old 05-20-19, 11:54 AM
Leadrunner

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Diverge Elite A1, 2013 KHS Flite, 1998 Trek 800

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an old trek hybrid that I knock around the neighborhood on, and I wear shorts, loose t-shirt and sneakers. My only concession to cycling style is the helmet for obvious reasons. I also have a Specialized road bike that I use for training rides and the Saturday morning run with the guys. Then, I wear full kit and pay attention to "aero." I love both, but at 73, I am not worried about style or beating anyone. I just love riding. It has become even more precious now, since I had open heart surgery in February to replace an aortic valve. My surgeon says had it not been for the bikes, I would have taken a lot longer to recover. My advice to anyone is to just enjoy getting in the zone every once in a while, regardless if it is at 6 mph or 16 mph.
Likes For Leadrunner:
Old 05-20-19, 12:03 PM
Leadrunner

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Diverge Elite A1, 2013 KHS Flite, 1998 Trek 800

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agree 100%. Heck, in our neighborhood, even china berry chunking was a competitive event.
Old 05-20-19, 03:52 PM
Miele Man

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycling magazine became referred to as BUYcycling magazine for good reasons. What happened to the laid-back attitude of the 1980s? MARKETING happened. Instead of being about how to or where to go, many bicycling magazines became You GOTTA have this!

Cheers