Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strange Flat - What Happened

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 05:26 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts

I went out on a ride today and there is a new subdivision going up on the route. I stupidly decided to spin through it just to see it (lots of construction with the inevitable crap on the road). I hit something (sounded like a strip of metal but I never saw it) and then I heard a gentle, almost soothing "SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...." as the air left my rear tire (why is it always the rear).

I still ride butyl tubes and after removing the tube I pumped a bit of air into the tube to see where the leak was so I could check the wheel carefully in that area. Couldn't find a leak so I just replaced the tube and rode home (close to the end of the ride anyway).

I pumped the tube up with a good bit of air after getting home and it held air just fine. I forced it into a bucket of water and the only air bubbles that I saw were just a few coming from the presta valve stem - those went away when I closed the valve. I honestly cannot say for sure that the valve was closed on the ride. I don't know if this tube will hold 90 pounds of air when encased in a Conti tire, but it certainly holds low pressure just fine.

So either this tube has a high pressure only leak (it was DEAD FLAT) when I removed the tube, or something funky happened regarding the valve/stem. No big deal other than I would prefer to fix and reuse the tube. I just have no idea what to fix.

Thoughts on what happened here? Thanks.

dave
Old 05-20-19, 05:39 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Do you have a pump that screws on the valve? Some tubes have a removable valve that may get loosened when you remove the pump. Maybe it was borderline and hitting the bump pushed it over the edge. I'd be curious to see if it holds air when you mount it with a tire and pump it up to full pressure.
Old 05-20-19, 06:28 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

I have a 'normal' lever type pump that I used (both floor model and the mini on my bike).

I guess that I will experiment putting that tire back on some wheel. But I also play classical guitar and changing a tire is not compatible with good guitar nails. This event ended up tearing my 'c' fingernail off at the base. It will take a couple months to grow that one back. But I might try the tire swap anyway.

dave

Last edited by DaveLeeNC; 05-20-19 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 04:25 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Do you have a pump that screws on the valve? Some tubes have a removable valve that may get loosened when you remove the pump. Maybe it was borderline and hitting the bump pushed it over the edge. I'd be curious to see if it holds air when you mount it with a tire and pump it up to full pressure.
I ran into that with a batch of Conti tubes. They were just loose enough that they were fine until you unscrewed CO2 during a ride. Not obvious.
Old 05-21-19, 05:15 PM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by popeye
I ran into that with a batch of Conti tubes. They were just loose enough that they were fine until you unscrewed CO2 during a ride. Not obvious.
That is interesting. This one is a 'CST' tube. I wonder if they make tubes for Conti?

dave
Old 05-22-19, 02:05 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I carry a valve tool on rides/to races. It's light, compact and a lifesaver. I'd try tightening up the valve core as much as possible (without shearing the valve off the tube) and trying again. Also, if your valve is particularly old or maybe grimy, it could have grit lodged in it that keeps it from "closing" all the way?? Though that seems unlikely in this case. Curious as well. If the tube ends up with a slow leak, you can throw in some orange sealant and it should take care that.
Old 05-22-19, 08:01 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
On two occasions I've had flats that were tricky to track down. Eventually, I found the problem was at the stem itself. Nowadays I check new tubes but inflating them before entering service and hang them over a door overnight to see if they hold air.
Old 05-22-19, 08:20 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
"SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...." as the air left my rear tire (why is it always the rear).
It's typically the rear because the debris (that was lying flat) gets kicked up by the front tire and is still flopping around when the rear passes over it.
Old 05-22-19, 09:05 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
I've had a very slow leak (from a tiny piece of wire). I had to submerge the inflated tube in the bathtub, then go around it and wipe off the small attached bubbles with my fingers. At the puncture, a small new bubble would form in 15 or 20 seconds, very slow. I then wipe it off and see that another new bubble appears there. It's hard to find. This would be too slow to make a "shhhhh" hissing noise while on the bike, though.

Most punctures can be found by holding the inflated tube up to your cheek, you can feel and/or hear the air leaking. Or they spit out a stream of bubbles under water.
Old 05-22-19, 09:22 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Sometimes the seal at the base of the stem tears. Try the water test and move the stem around some.
Old 05-22-19, 09:23 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
How could it be a "high pressure only leak" when the tire was "dead flat"? At some point, low pressure air leaked out, right?

I've had a couple of tubes that kept going flat, with no bubbles in the bucket, but I just tossed the tube rather than spend time on it. I think it had to be the stem though.
Old 05-22-19, 11:35 AM
DaveLeeNC

I have decided that this pretty much had to be a stem/valve problem.

In retrospect I probably could have just put air in the tire and continued on the ride - an irritating thought.

dave
Old 05-22-19, 12:56 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
one time I was about 2 miles from home on my 17 mile commute & I heard the front tire start leaking air. eyeballed a cozy grassy spot next to a church to swap the tube. as I approached the grassy spot, the leaking air sound stopped. the tire was pretty soft but I wasn't riding the rim. wound up taking out the tube which had plenty of air in it. no sign of debris or tube damage. put a new tube in, rode home & trashed the old tube. God works in mysterious ways ...