Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Old 08-26-15, 12:30 PM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Thanks for looking, ColdCase. Is yours a '16 or '15?
Officially it is a '15, with a Jan 15 build date sticker. It seems to have be built with all the '16 components, however.... a real early '16

Last edited by ColdCase; 08-26-15 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-28-15, 11:01 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
I'm not sure but it seems like there is a little travel in the fork when it is locked.
Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my imagination?
Mine does this too. LBS said its normal. I keep it locked and it moves slightly, and clunks sometimes. (anyone know a normal fork that works with this bike and disc brakes?)

Do your front disc brakes, for lack of a better description, get loose as you ride? Mine start dragging and sometimes when I apply the brakes the front one makes a thump/clunk and feels like it moves enough to slightly pull the fork to the left. After that its good for a while but happens again later on in the ride. If its bumpy it happens more often.
Old 08-29-15, 06:13 AM
ColdCase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m.c.
Mine does this too. LBS said its normal. I keep it locked and it moves slightly, and clunks sometimes. (anyone know a normal fork that works with this bike and disc brakes?)

Do your front disc brakes, for lack of a better description, get loose as you ride? Mine start dragging and sometimes when I apply the brakes the front one makes a thump/clunk and feels like it moves enough to slightly pull the fork to the left. After that its good for a while but happens again later on in the ride. If its bumpy it happens more often.
Neither my Comp or spouses Ariel sport disc do that, but they are hydraulic type brakes. Sounds like the pad is a bit loose in the caliper.. or you have a loose mounting screw.
Old 08-29-15, 06:20 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think your bike may need a visit to the LBS. I don't like 'clunks' whether it be from the fork or, and especially the brakes.
a loose front brakes that pulls the fork sounds like a major malfunction and I would get it checked out right away.
As far as replacement forks, the suntour ncx found on the comp thru pro should be an easy switch, but your LBS may find that a fix is all you need
Old 08-29-15, 10:30 AM
m.c. 

Thanks. I've been planning on bringing it in.

I want a fork without the suspension. I wasn't clear on that.
I'm trying to decide if I want to modify this bike, or just buy another. Maybe a sirrus or giant escape. I really wanted the older type forks that kind of bend forward at the end so they have a little give. Like this, 700c Simpleone Fork

They have others as well. I don't know if they would work on this bike. And they don't use disc brakes.
Old 08-30-15, 07:29 PM
MrCoffee

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Hello to all of you crosstrail owners and those considering one.
I believe there are enough ct owners on the hybrid forum to warrant this dedicated space.
My 2016 comp disc should be arriving in a few days, and I look forward to providing and receiving
feedback from others who ride, tinker, and modify this fine bike.
I have two questions to start us off.
First. for the micro adjust seatposts, is there a maximum insertion indicator?
second. Have you weighed your bike, if so how much does it way and what accessories are included in that weight?
so that's it...I would also like to extend this invitation to the ladies who own the sister version of this bike, the ariel.
Have a good ride
It's about time us Crosstrail owners had our own thread! As for the seat post on my Crosstrail Disc, yes, I believe there is a maximum insertion indicator. I haven't bothered with it since I got the bike, though. As for weight, I am running at roughly 30 pounds. I keep the tires inflated around 90psi, and the front suspension unlocked. The bike has not let me down, always reliable, and ready to go to work!
Old 08-31-15, 12:59 PM
ColdCase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure but it seems like there is a little travel in the fork when it is locked.
Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my imagination?
Just in case.... How are you testing the fork play? If you are clamping the disc brake and rocking or pressing, what you may be feeling is the pads rocking back in forth within the caliper. There is some play there, at first glance it seems to be play in the stem or fork.. but it is not. If you clamp the rear brakes, you may notice similar play. Just saying.
Old 08-31-15, 02:19 PM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColdCase
Just in case.... How are you testing the fork play? If you are clamping the disc brake and rocking or pressing, what you may be feeling is the pads rocking back in forth within the caliper. There is some play there, at first glance it seems to be play in the stem or fork.. but it is not. If you clamp the rear brakes, you may notice similar play. Just saying.
I have done that but I actually did it AFTER I thought i felt some play while riding over some bumps. I believe that in spite of whatever else may be going on that there is some slight degree of play from the forks. Like I said, i don't mind. As one who rides mostly on roads, I lock the forks but on the return trip I often unlock them to make the whole ride home a little more leisurely.
Old 08-31-15, 07:52 PM
McSpazatron

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I test rode various bikes before deciding on my Crosstrail. The day I bought my bike, I test rode a Rockhopper and my Crosstrail Disc at the same shop (fork specs were similar). The rockhopper had definite front to back slop in the stanchions as you describe that was visible to the naked eye. Also, the fork would make an audible hissing sound when compressed. The crosstrail I bought, had neither issues. I think that there is probably gonna be some variability in manufacturing tolerances. However, I would bet that if the a particular bike has been on some rough test rides, it would probably develop some slop.

I remember watching a rebuild video on Suntour's website and was surprised that the "bushings" for the stanchions are actually just plastic sleeves. I would imagine if the bike gets knocked hard enough it would develop some slop.
Old 08-31-15, 07:57 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Absolutely! Coming soon to a theater near you.
Ahem.
Old 08-31-15, 09:37 PM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Ahem.
Ahem indeed! LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
stem1.jpg (51.5 KB, 684 views)
stem2.jpg (63.3 KB, 678 views)
stem4.jpg (39.1 KB, 685 views)
stem3.jpg (47.6 KB, 677 views)
2016 crcomp.jpg (99.0 KB, 698 views)
Old 08-31-15, 09:51 PM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. I've been planning on bringing it in.

I want a fork without the suspension. I wasn't clear on that.
I'm trying to decide if I want to modify this bike, or just buy another. Maybe a sirrus or giant escape. I really wanted the older type forks that kind of bend forward at the end so they have a little give. Like this, 700c Simpleone Fork They have others as well. I don't know if they would work on this bike. And they don't use disc brakes.
The suspension fork is why people buy the crosstrail IMHO. There are a bunch of excellent hybrids out there without the suspension fork. The sirrus would be an excellent choice. It comes in several full carbon varieties and if I were ever going to ditch the front suspension, i suspect a sirrus comp carbon would be my new ride.
Old 08-31-15, 10:12 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Ahem indeed! LOL
Thanks

The suspension fork is why people buy the crosstrail IMHO. There are a bunch of excellent hybrids out there without the suspension fork. The sirrus would be an excellent choice. It comes in several full carbon varieties and if I were ever going to ditch the front suspension, i suspect a sirrus comp carbon would be my new ride.
Some people put a rigid carbon fork on their Crosstrails and not only does that seem to work pretty well for them, it makes it one very good looking bike.
Old 09-01-15, 12:02 AM
m.c. 

i want to put a steel fork on it, one with a bend to it, I have the old Banana bend style in my head but that probably isn't done too much these days.

Would one of the Surly forks work on it. Maybe the Karate Monkey? I have the crosstrail disc, it has a different fork than the higher end models. I think its around 60mm of travel. I don't know the length of any of it off hand.

Edit: This one looks like it may have the right specs to replace a 63mm suspension fork. https://surlybikes.com/parts/forks/1x1_fork

Last edited by m.c.; 09-01-15 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-01-15, 06:12 AM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks

Some people put a rigid carbon fork on their Crosstrails and not only does that seem to work pretty well for them, it makes it one very good looking bike.
I was wondering about that. It's a change I may consider at some point. Do you have an idea as to which fork would be the easiest switch?
Old 09-01-15, 06:59 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

I was wondering about that. It's a change I may consider at some point. Do you have an idea as to which fork would be the easiest switch?
No I don't know.

There are people on this forum who have done the switch and if your LBS is any good, they should be able to advise you too.

You need a fork that takes into account the amount of suspension you have, for if you get one that is suspension corrected for 100mm instead of something closer to 50mm, the change in your bike's geometry may not be a good thing.

Just off the top of my head, contenders that I would obviously need to get confirmation that they are indeed suitable would be something like this:

Salsa Firestarter

Brands like Niner and Whiskey also sell carbon forks, but in looking at their website, they seem to be moving away from offering 1&1/8 straight steerer forks and instead offering tapered 1&1/8 to 1&1/2
Old 09-01-15, 10:38 AM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow!
six hundred buckeroos just for the part.
I'm thinking that if and when the time comes when I decide 'no mas' to a front suspension,
I"ll just go out and buy a new carbon sirrus.
thanks for the link
Old 09-02-15, 11:05 AM
bgreen19

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.4FX Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too am considering a tire upgrade. I ride mostly roads and I want something that will roll a little easier.
I have heard very good things about the Schwalbe marathons series but I'm looking at the racer. Looks very sleek and fast and comes in 700x38
Did you end up switching to the marathons? I'm looking at changing mine as well. I ride mostly roads on the way to work.
Old 09-02-15, 11:08 AM
bgreen19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Badger, I thought so, but it was so slight I couldn't be certain. Truth be told I kinda like it. I only ride on roads and sidewalks (legal in Florida) so the need for a lot of suspension is minimal. But my arthritis appreciates the slight damping i'm getting from the forks. Now that I have my bike set up with a raised stem and ergon grips i'm spinning in comfort and style.
May I ask what kind of stem that is you added?
Old 09-02-15, 11:16 AM
bgreen19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You probably just need a longer stem, possibly you might also need to raise the height of your seatpost.
Thanks Colonel. I took it back into my LBS and they refitted me for free. The large I got is the right size, just needed some more tweaking. I did raise the seat a little bit and they recommended a greater stem angle. I'm actually looking at getting an adjustable stem put on. I like the looks of the one avidone1 put on his. Do you have any recommendations?
Old 09-02-15, 03:47 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by bgreen19
Thanks Colonel. I took it back into my LBS and they refitted me for free. The large I got is the right size, just needed some more tweaking. I did raise the seat a little bit and they recommended a greater stem angle. I'm actually looking at getting an adjustable stem put on. I like the looks of the one avidone1 put on his. Do you have any recommendations?
Unfortunately I don't have any direct experience with adjustable stems at the moment.

It would probably be worth your while starting a thread asking about recommendations on adjustable stems.
Old 09-03-15, 07:13 AM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
May I ask what kind of stem that is you added?
Here ya go.
https://www.amazon.com/STEM-SUNLT-UNI...djustable+stem

Last edited by avidone1; 09-03-15 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-03-15, 07:18 AM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sunlite also makes a 125 MM stem that will add even more height,
But that may be require refitting new cables and brake lines.
Old 09-03-15, 07:22 AM
bgreen19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome. So is that 95mm? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I'm pretty new to this. I was just refitted the other day at my local specialized and I'm pretty sure the guy said I had a 80 mm stem that came on the bike but recommended I switch to a stem with a higher angle. I think 26 degrees.
Old 09-03-15, 07:27 AM
avidone1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome. So is that 95mm? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I'm pretty new to this. I was just refitted the other day at my local specialized and I'm pretty sure the guy said I had a 80 mm stem that came on the bike but recommended I switch to a stem with a higher angle. I think 26 degrees.
95mm is the length of the stem. The angle is what's adjustable. I would always choose a fixed stem over an adjustable. So if you think you would be comfortable with your lbs recommendation then that's the way I would go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.