Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Best Dog I Never Had

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Best Dog I Never Had

Old 02-11-19, 11:27 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Something I wrote for a haiku thread on a VW forum:

Old dog liked to camp.
New dog likes the Westy, too.
Patience, future dogs.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 02-12-19, 12:31 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 151 Posts
Nothing sweet than a high-miles dog. There's no such thing as a spoiled dog, but that doesn't excuse us hairless upright primates from at least trying.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 02-12-19, 12:56 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
I am more of a cat person but two dogs warmed my heart many years apart, both whippets.

1977, my strongest year as a bike racer. Out on just another 40 miler, riding the western fringes of Lexington, MA on my race bike. Started down a moderately steep 1/2 mile hill. Was up to speed when I crossed in front of a large yard with a nice, large Lexington house. A dog on the front steps saw me as I crossed in front of the walk. He up and gave chase. I hit it hard. Didn't really think much if it since I was already going close to 30 and I had probably a 50 yard head start. Looked back as I hit the corner of the yard. That dog was 5 yards back! He immediately came up along side, then just paced me down the hill. Never getting in front of my BB, never barking or growling. Just running ridiculously easily. I was maxed. And we both knew that he would beat me over any finish line anywhere on that hill.

The road leveled out. He turned around and trotted home, Job done. I had just been truly humbled by a class act.

Many years later my next door neighbor in Seattle got a whippet. (It wasn't until then that I had any idea of what that animal that so humbled me was.) That dog loved to come over to my yard, visit me and rub my leg. Wow! A very narrow bundle of steel muscle. I could drop my open hand over his back with ease and close it on to a rock hard animal. He felt like warm metal against my leg. The owner told me he really wasn't comfortable around people and that his liking me was unusual. He also like to run to whatever struck his interest, hence he only was allowed outside when she could watch him. So I got to see him when we we talked over the fence. Sadly, at the local park, he ran across the street to greet another dog - in front of a car.

Whippets have earned a place in my heart.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-12-19, 06:11 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I've never had a bad dog, all the dogs we've had we got from the pound at around a year or two old, and they all have been wonderful dogs. The odd thing is that we discovered by accident with our first dog was that a dog knows if it likes you and will show you that, other dogs won't like you and will show you they don't like you by keeping their distance from you or barking and or growling at you, we've always taken a dog that immediately liked us upon meeting us and wanted to be with us for the first time at the pound and never got a bad dog doing it that way.

Our first dog was a mix of a golden Lab and a Saint Bernard but looked like a huge pure breed golden Lab; then we had a pure breed German Shepard, a pure breed golden Retriever, and now we have a pure breed brown Lab, all of those pure breeds and the mix came from pounds. The Brown Lab we have now is physically doing far better at her age of 9 then any of the other dogs we had before, she has nothing wrong with her, in fact she wears out a friend of ours who has a 2 year German Shepard when they play!
Likes For greatscott:
Old 02-14-19, 10:24 AM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
The summer after my first year at the University of Georgia was spent cutting crass and doing odd jobs to build up some cash reserves. One particular job involved cleaning up and landscaping the large back yard of a local prominent attorney. Living in the back yard was a gorgeous purebred, registered young Golden Retriever who's name was Gideon. Every day when I went to the job, I would pet and play with Gideon. On many evenings I would hang out until dark playing fetch or just goofing around with him. It wasn't hard to figure out that me coming over to work in the yard was the highlight of Gideon's day. He was my constant companion for the entirety of job, always by my side, always lending a paw, and constantly keeping me company. Throughout the time I spent on the job, I wondered many times what it would be like to have such a beautiful intelligent dog. Of course as a dirt poor college student, I wouldn't be able to know the joy of having a companion animal like Gideon for many years to come.
After a couple of weeks, I was finished with the job and the lady of the house paid me and then she struck up a conversation that I will never forget. She told me how much she enjoyed watching Gideon and I work and play. Before I could tell her what a wonderful dog I thought he was, she teared up and asked me if I wanted Gideon. I was shocked. She explained that her husband purchased the dog, but he didn't care anything about him. In fact she said that all the husband did was yell, kick at, or ignore Gideon.
There is much much more to this story, but for the sake of brevity, I'll just say that I spent the next five years in Athens and many more after graduation, with the most intelligent and beautiful dog on this planet - that I thought I could never have.
Likes For Bikedud:
Old 02-14-19, 12:19 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Gratuitous dog pic time! My wife picked up Lucy (brittany) because Daisy (golden) was acting kind of mopey. I was out riding my bike at the time, that'll teach me. Both great dogs but Lucy is never more than about 2 feet from me as I work at home... Nothing quite so cute as a litter of golden retriever puppies though.

Likes For TrojanHorse:
Old 02-14-19, 12:31 PM
Knet

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Marakesh / 2006 HooKooEKoo / 2005 CoMotion Nor'wester / 1987 Trek 520 and 560EX (1 ea.)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
In October of 2008 I was diagnosed with renal cell cancer and the early prognosis was pretty grim. After being operated on and treated at Ohio State University I began my recovery in 2009.
10 years, congrats. I just past my 1 year milestone with RCC.
Likes For Knet:
Old 02-14-19, 12:43 PM
dbwinger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great story. Last week we found out our Great Dane had bone cancer is his back leg. We put him to sleep this Monday after he stopped eating over the weekend. He was the perfect combination of grace and masculinity. Life is a series of dogs.
Likes For dbwinger:
Old 02-14-19, 12:50 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedud
The summer after my first year at the University of Georgia was spent cutting crass and doing odd jobs to build up some cash reserves. One particular job involved cleaning up and landscaping the large back yard of a local prominent attorney. Living in the back yard was a gorgeous purebred, registered young Golden Retriever who's name was Gideon. Every day when I went to the job, I would pet and play with Gideon. On many evenings I would hang out until dark playing fetch or just goofing around with him. It wasn't hard to figure out that me coming over to work in the yard was the highlight of Gideon's day. He was my constant companion for the entirety of job, always by my side, always lending a paw, and constantly keeping me company. Throughout the time I spent on the job, I wondered many times what it would be like to have such a beautiful intelligent dog. Of course as a dirt poor college student, I wouldn't be able to know the joy of having a companion animal like Gideon for many years to come.
After a couple of weeks, I was finished with the job and the lady of the house paid me and then she struck up a conversation that I will never forget. She told me how much she enjoyed watching Gideon and I work and play. Before I could tell her what a wonderful dog I thought he was, she teared up and asked me if I wanted Gideon. I was shocked. She explained that her husband purchased the dog, but he didn't care anything about him. In fact she said that all the husband did was yell, kick at, or ignore Gideon.
There is much much more to this story, but for the sake of brevity, I'll just say that I spent the next five years in Athens and many more after graduation, with the most intelligent and beautiful dog on this planet - that I thought I could never have.
I wanna hear the rest.
Old 02-14-19, 12:52 PM
nomadmax 

Originally Posted by Knet
10 years, congrats. I just past my 1 year milestone with RCC.
Keep chugging friend
Old 02-14-19, 01:11 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Great story! Makes me want to get home(sitting in an airport) and take my dog for a ride. He loves running beside me on dirt roads (no cars).

Last edited by CodyDog; 02-14-19 at 03:29 PM.
Likes For CodyDog:
Old 02-14-19, 01:24 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What a great story. That picture looks like most of backroads Ohio, reminds me of rides I've taken from Goshen to Centerburg.

Hello Ohio
The back roads
I know Ohio
Like the back of my hand
Alone Ohio
Where the river bends
And it's strange to see your story end

Savvy and Riley

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Likes For SloButWide:
Old 02-15-19, 08:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I already liked your story when it was just a little anecdote about a dog wanting to run with you.

Amazing how such a simple thing can be so profoundly important to someone.

Good dog!

BTW, just to prove what a shallow person I am in comparison with that terrific story, I want you all to know that "Isle of Dogs" is on HBO and you should watch it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-16-19, 09:30 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

What an amazing and wonderful story, thanks for sharing that. Like I said in my earlier post, dogs have a sense about people, and that dog sensed something in you that he liked, and it worked out very well for the both of you! What's interesting about Gideon is that even after being kicked around and ignored by his master, he never gave up, he was a survivor, a lot of dogs treated like that don't do well and will shy away from anyone from fear that was ingrained into them, you did indeed have a fantastic dog; while it's too bad its master didn't know what a fantastic dog he had, but its a good thing that the masters wife realized that and wanted the dog to be safe and protected.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 02-18-19, 12:43 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Originally Posted by greatscott
What an amazing and wonderful story, thanks for sharing that. Like I said in my earlier post, dogs have a sense about people, and that dog sensed something in you that he liked, and it worked out very well for the both of you! What's interesting about Gideon is that even after being kicked around and ignored by his master, he never gave up, he was a survivor, a lot of dogs treated like that don't do well and will shy away from anyone from fear that was ingrained into them, you did indeed have a fantastic dog; while it's too bad its master didn't know what a fantastic dog he had, but its a good thing that the masters wife realized that and wanted the dog to be safe and protected.
Thank you for the kind words. Gideon truly was a great dog. The only negative side effect of his abuse/neglect that I noticed throughout the years was his fear or dislike of people (anyone but especially me) yelling loudly. Even if I just yelled at the ump while watching a Braves game on TV, it made Gideon visibly uncomfortable. Not surprising really, when you consider his past.
Likes For Bikedud:
Old 02-18-19, 08:31 PM
greatscott

Thank you for the kind words. Gideon truly was a great dog. The only negative side effect of his abuse/neglect that I noticed throughout the years was his fear or dislike of people (anyone but especially me) yelling loudly. Even if I just yelled at the ump while watching a Braves game on TV, it made Gideon visibly uncomfortable. Not surprising really, when you consider his past.
Why haven't you gotten another dog after Gideon? Are you worried that no other dog would be good enough to replace him? All dogs have their personalities, I thought after our first dog died that we would never find another one like him...we were right! but what we found was different personalities that were all positives, in fact our current dog is probably the best dog we've ever had which I thought I would never say that after the lost of our first dog, and this current dog is our 4rd in the last 30 years (at one time we had 2 at the same time, who both died within 2 months of each other). If you go to several pounds, and it may take several visits to each or just one, like how Gideon found you, eventually a dog in a pound will find you.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 02-19-19, 02:34 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Why haven't you gotten another dog after Gideon? .

I just shared the Gideon story because I thought it was more in keeping with the thread topic. I've had two dogs in the last thirty years. This guy is my current companion and chair thief. He's a GSD/Husky mix that we rescued five years ago. Much to my wife's chagrin, I dream of retirement so I can spend more time with my dog.
Likes For Bikedud:
Old 02-19-19, 09:08 PM
greatscott

I just shared the Gideon story because I thought it was more in keeping with the thread topic. I've had two dogs in the last thirty years. This guy is my current companion and chair thief. He's a GSD/Husky mix that we rescued five years ago. Much to my wife's chagrin, I dream of retirement so I can spend more time with my dog.
Very cool looking dog. one of the dogs we had was a German Shepherd but little did we know that it had some sort of blood disorder, can't recall what it was called, but she got poked in the ear by something when she was 8 years old and it bled...a lot, but it wouldn't stop bleeding, we had to keep the dog in the basement and it looked like we were serial killers with blood everywhere! so we took her to the vet, he stitched the hole and put some clogging stuff on it, that didn't work it still bled, he tried something else which didn't work which he found odd so he tested her blood and that's when we found out about this weird disorder. The only option we had was a once a month transfusion of some sort of blood for the rest of her life, the blood and the transfusion would cost us $1,200 a month! and no guarantee it would even work, I like animals but that was far too much money so we had her put down, and the vet agreed with decision. That dog came from an abusive home, so at least the last 6 years of her life she was at peace.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 02-20-19, 12:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Very cool looking dog. one of the dogs we had was a German Shepherd but little did we know that it had some sort of blood disorder, can't recall what it was called, but she got poked in the ear by something when she was 8 years old and it bled...a lot, but it wouldn't stop bleeding, we had to keep the dog in the basement and it looked like we were serial killers with blood everywhere! so we took her to the vet, he stitched the hole and put some clogging stuff on it, that didn't work it still bled, he tried something else which didn't work which he found odd so he tested her blood and that's when we found out about this weird disorder. The only option we had was a once a month transfusion of some sort of blood for the rest of her life, the blood and the transfusion would cost us $1,200 a month! and no guarantee it would even work, I like animals but that was far too much money so we had her put down, and the vet agreed with decision. That dog came from an abusive home, so at least the last 6 years of her life she was at peace.
From what I've heard about how they often get dog blood for transfusions, that decision may have been even more humane than you know.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-20-19, 07:16 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Beautiful story.
Thanks
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 02-20-19, 10:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Next door is Sir Barksalot ..
Old 02-20-19, 03:08 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 250 Posts
I'm old, so have had a lot of fine, dog companions. On topic, there was one, not mine, I met regularly South of Olympia, WA, along the Chehalis Western bike trail. It was out in the country, but with scattered homes. He was such a regular, he must have lived nearby. I would see him sitting by the trail nearly every ride. Always would stop for a greet. He was a nice guy. Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC02218.jpg (1.20 MB, 147 views)
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 05-16-19, 09:52 AM
nomadmax 

I just got back from my ride and man was it a great one ! I went by Snowflake's house and her owner was slowly walking her down the road I stopped, the owner recognized me and said "She loves when you come by on your bicycle or motorcycle". I gave her a good petting while we sat in the road (very rural road). Her owner and I talked for quite a while, then a farmer came by; he stopped and told us we shouldn't stand near the dog because anyone from around there would run over us to keep from hitting the dog

When it came time for me to go, I gave her a pet and told her I'd see her Saturday; her owner took my picture with her and it looked to me like she was having a good day (for being 15 or so). I know I am

I can't get the picture to upload from my computer or my phone, I don't what the deal is. I may have to email it someone I know on the forum and have them post it.

Last edited by nomadmax; 05-16-19 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-16-19, 10:29 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts

When you love an animal, you are human in the best sense of that word.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-16-19, 10:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by nomadmax
I just got back from my ride and man was it a great one ! I went by Snowflake's house and her owner was slowly walking her down the road I stopped, the owner recognized me and said "She loves when you come by on your bicycle or motorcycle". I gave her a good petting while we sat in the road (very rural road). Her owner and I talked for quite a while, then a farmer came by; he stopped and told us we shouldn't stand near the dog because anyone from around there would run over us to keep from hitting the dog

When it came time for me to go, I gave her a pet and told her I'd see her Saturday; her owner took my picture with her and it looked to me like she was having a good day (for being 15 or so). I know I am

Darn it, I can't get the picture to upload! I'll get it figured out and post it.
Dude--NSFW! You're making me all misty-eyed. Snowflake lives!

I love the farmer's "warning".
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.