Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Is this a Rando Bag? Where can I get one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-19, 07:39 AM
Bikesplendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this a Rando Bag? Where can I get one?

If the video posted below is frozen at about 2:09, you can see a large red handlebar-bag-like bag, which may be some kind of French rando bag I don't know, but it looks very interesting to me.

Does anyone know who makes it? Or where it or something like it (similar size or design) might be sold?

Thanks.

Old 02-27-19, 10:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
it looks like a diaper bag or some other luggage bag mounted sideways. I have never seen a bike bag that looks like that.

It's bigger than the biggest rando bag I have seen. There are porteur bags about that size. I would say the zipped pockets are probably less convenient than a rando bag.
Old 02-27-19, 11:09 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
That is some form of luggage like an overnight bag or small carry on.
Old 02-27-19, 06:45 PM
Bikesplendor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not so sure that's what it is. Maybe. There does seem to be a randonneuring rack underneath.
Old 02-27-19, 06:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

it's on a suspension fork, I doubt that's a rando rack. Almost looks like what would be rack struts on a rando fork are cords. Can't really tell. I think it's suspended from the handlebars.
Old 02-27-19, 08:44 PM
Bikesplendor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The more I look at it, the more it looks like the confident claim that it is some kind of luggage may just be overconfident and simply mistaken. There is a side pocket of the sort that is less commonly seen in such luggage, and more commonly seen in cycling gear. One of my handlebar bags has some similar design features to this one, including the zippered front compartment and side pockets, only it's smaller. Luggage that size would have a handle, and, in the interests of balance, it wouldn't be in back. This one has no such handle. Also, such luggage often has shoulder straps or connection points for shoulder straps.

It seems at least as likely that this is made for bike use. Some French riders seem to like large rando bags. I like them large; probably there are a fair number of others too.... Maybe it's a small maker or a custom bag.

Also, there is something behind the bars, near the rider's stomach, that looks like it's made of the same materials and colors.

It looks as if the bag has some support underneath, otherwise it would be sagging or pulling down more in front. Or so it seems at this point.

Last edited by Bikesplendor; 02-27-19 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-27-19, 09:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

It's a nice bag, I'll give you that. But our diaper bag had those end pockets. Or side pockets if you prefer. No bike bag ever has had zippers in that direction, and it makes no sense that the two partitions of the bag are different sizes. I think there are probably loops for a strap that we don't see.

I agree there is some kind of rack, but I'm not sure how it works. Front racks often have the same size platform as a rando rack.

In any event, I doubt you will find this bag easily. You might consider have one sewn for you. The traditional rando bag has a lot of things going for it, starting with a top that can be opened while you are riding. Porteur bags usually are more difficult to get into. Really depends on what you want to use it for.
Old 02-28-19, 09:31 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I have an old camera bag that looks kind of like that. It could be something that was modified for this instead of being specifically designed from the ground up to be a handlebar bag. If you wanted something along those lines I would talk to someone that makes custom rando bags, my experience with Emily at dill pickle gear was great and I'm sure she could make something better than that bag that would suit your needs. You could start with a basic rack like this simple canti-post mounted rack that's good for 20lbs. I wouldn't want to put more than that on the front of most bikes and especially on anything I was riding on a brevet.
Old 02-28-19, 10:36 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I don't know about French tourists, but very few French randonneurs use rando bags from what I have seen. They ride racing bikes, even the old guys. Maybe there is a resurgence of their use, but it was reimported from the U.S.
Old 02-28-19, 01:13 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Well, I don't know why this fascinates me, but here's a screen shot of the bag:

And a detail of the bag:

Does that last photo look right? I think there's something wrong. Part of the bag looks like an old leather bag with leather straps with buckles, and part of it looks like it's been edited digitally. There is no detail in the bright red areas. Does anyone else see that?*

My first reaction was to agree that it's a diaper bag. We had a similar bag (in blue nylon) when my kids were infants. But on closer examination I give up that idea. I don't know what that bag is.

It seems to be on a rack attached to the cantilever brake bosses.

*I have to add, as a disclaimer, that I don't see red very well unless it's in high concentration. Those big featureless rectangles look bright red to me, but I wouldn't say that about the parts of the bag that have any detail. You probably see it differently, which is why I ask.

Last edited by rhm; 02-28-19 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-28-19, 04:22 PM
Bikesplendor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Well, I don't know why this fascinates me, but here's a screen shot of the bag:

And a detail of the bag:

Does that last photo look right? I think there's something wrong. Part of the bag looks like an old leather bag with leather straps with buckles, and part of it looks like it's been edited digitally. There is no detail in the bright red areas. Does anyone else see that?*

My first reaction was to agree that it's a diaper bag. We had a similar bag (in blue nylon) when my kids were infants. But on closer examination I give up that idea. I don't know what that bag is.

It seems to be on a rack attached to the cantilever brake bosses.

*I have to add, as a disclaimer, that I don't see red very well unless it's in high concentration. Those big featureless rectangles look bright red to me, but I wouldn't say that about the parts of the bag that have any detail. You probably see it differently, which is why I ask.
Thanks — good post.

I don't know why it fascinates me either. I actually emailed Josh Lipton about this. He sent back some links to products that he knew about that are similar in size. One of them expands to 44 liters. Quite a handlebar bag. Maybe I'll link them later or below.

Do you have any ideas on what that might be behind the bars, next to her body, seemingly made with the same colors and materials as the main bag?

I like the design. A lot of bike specific bags have a design deficit disorder (with some exceptions). I find most Ortlieb bags, for example, to be a little too aesthetically deprived.

Last edited by Bikesplendor; 02-28-19 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-28-19, 04:23 PM
Bikesplendor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and thanks for the screen shots.
Old 02-28-19, 04:25 PM
Bikesplendor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About the red: it looks very saturated, and as if it is blowing out the detail.
Old 02-28-19, 04:36 PM
Bikesplendor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher
I have an old camera bag that looks kind of like that. It could be something that was modified for this instead of being specifically designed from the ground up to be a handlebar bag. If you wanted something along those lines I would talk to someone that makes custom rando bags, my experience with Emily at dill pickle gear was great and I'm sure she could make something better than that bag that would suit your needs. You could start with a basic rack like this simple canti-post mounted rack that's good for 20lbs. I wouldn't want to put more than that on the front of most bikes and especially on anything I was riding on a brevet.
Thanks. Good points there.

I've wondered if this lady might have made these herself. She's obviously somewhat artistically inclined. Many women know how to sew and make some of their own things, and enjoy the creativity.

I've known women like this, lived with some, and have had them in my family.

That other piece she seems to be wearing around her waist looks to be made from the same materials, in the same colors. I suspect she might have a thing for these materials, colors, and combinations.

Of course there are other possibilities as well, including that someone made these for her.

I am open to additional possibilities, and realize that no one (at this point at least) has a definitive, certain or near-certain hypothesis or theory, much less fact.
Old 02-28-19, 04:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I doubt she made the bag. I think it's quite possible she modified it, especially since there doesn't seem to be anything strapping it down. Now that I see the screen shots, that's a rack that mounts to cantilevers, like the one Clasher posted. I assume it's attached to the crossbar on the suspension fork somehow. I suppose you could say it's a mass produced rando rack.

There are a lot of threads here about repurposing bags as handlebar bags. Usually posed as cheap handlebar bags.
Old 02-28-19, 05:23 PM
Bikesplendor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I doubt she made the bag. I think it's quite possible she modified it, especially since there doesn't seem to be anything strapping it down. Now that I see the screen shots, that's a rack that mounts to cantilevers, like the one Clasher posted. I assume it's attached to the crossbar on the suspension fork somehow. I suppose you could say it's a mass produced rando rack.

There are a lot of threads here about repurposing bags as handlebar bags. Usually posed as cheap handlebar bags.
Thanks. That could be right.

I'll check the repurposing threads. Sounds interesting.

Any ideas on what that might be that she seems to be wearing around her waist?
Old 02-28-19, 05:27 PM
Bikesplendor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a girlfriend who made all kinds of leather bags that she sold at street fairs. It isn't that hard to do. She had no special genius or training, just some design sense, creativity and a desire to do it.

No terribly special or expensive equipment either.

Another did a lot with a simple Singer treadle sewing machine....

For centuries people did all kinds of things with no machines, and some still do.

Still, it's just a possibility. We don't really know at this point.
Old 02-28-19, 09:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

she's wearing a fanny pack. There does seem to be something hanging from the strap, because that fabric doesn't seem to be part of the shirt. Her shorts fit in with the colorway too.

My mother made bags that she sold to cavers. I told her that cyclists spend more money on bags, but she dismissed the idea of making any.