Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does money buy quality?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does money buy quality?

Old 03-13-19, 11:08 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
If someone wants to buy a quality from me, pm for Paypal details.
Old 03-13-19, 11:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
The twenty qualities I have laying on my desk right now are proof that money buys quality.
Quality.
Old 03-13-19, 01:11 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 1,483 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
I just bought a new helmet for daily training on amazon, it was cheap the reviews were good so I took a chance....it is a darn good helmet and it cost a hek of a lot less than my old helmet....I guess u don't have to spend a lot to get a quality product
What criteria do you use to state that it is a darn good helmet? Have you sent it to a lab for impact testing and benchmarked it against higher priced helmets?
Old 03-13-19, 01:11 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
[QUOTE=robnol;20835124]
Originally Posted by rosefarts
If you're buying from a shop, or Walmart, or just about any standard retailer, then all helmets meet a minimum standard. Fit and function are what sets them apart.

On Amazon and eBay, things can get murky. It might not be certified. It might be a replica of a certified model made of great stuff. It's like the last area where quality control or product safety aren't an absolute given.

That said, I got a $200 helmet on sale for $50 last summer. This is pretty common if you shop around.[/ a 200 dollar helmet for 50 dollars....is it less safe because u paid 150 less for it....bike riders can be seriously sheepish and prone to the placebo effect
Do you see any problem there?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-13-19, 03:20 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
What criteria do you use to state that it is a darn good helmet? Have you sent it to a lab for impact testing and benchmarked it against higher priced helmets?
I read the specs it meets all required standards...if u cant tell a crappy helmet when u see it feel it or look at its manufacturing then u should just look at the price tag and look for the one with the highest price it will be the best one
Old 03-13-19, 03:42 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Maybe because $200 is the scam/sucker price, and $50 is the reality based "we still made $30" price.
finally some one who sees the placebo effect....and is smart enough to know when ur being scammed....name brand means very little just gives the helmet or equiptment the benefit of a doubt or a chance to impress the buyer
Old 03-13-19, 04:00 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It's nice to see that people who don't understand how business works are present all across BF, and not limited to just specific sub-forums or threads.

A helmet from an unpronounceable brand on Amazon is cheap because the Chinese cloners didn't have to do any R&D, they just copied work that was done previously, and then they used substandard materials and stamped them out by the thousands.

Sometimes things are more expensive for very good reason. I'm not saying that's always the case-- I bought Kali helmets for my kids on blowout clearance for $15 each, and they are well made, well ventilated, and relatively light.
Old 03-13-19, 04:06 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It's nice to see that people who don't understand how business works are present all across BF, and not limited to just specific sub-forums or threads.

A helmet from an unpronounceable brand on Amazon is cheap because the Chinese cloners didn't have to do any R&D, they just copied work that was done previously, and then they used substandard materials and stamped them out by the thousands.

Sometimes things are more expensive for very good reason. I'm not saying that's always the case-- I bought Kali helmets for my kids on blowout clearance for $15 each, and they are well made, well ventilated, and relatively light.
all true wich goes back to my original point just cause u pay more doesn't always mean u get more or better.....everything made in china is substandard crap were just used to it now
Old 03-13-19, 04:22 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 124 Posts
​​​​​​I rode motorcycles when I was younger. In my teens I wore an inexpensive helmet that was made out of some kind of poly plastic that met all of the regulatory requirements . When I got a bit older, I recognized that the racers didn't wear those helmets, and chose much higher quality fiberglass helmets, for a reason.

I figure it's about the same thing with bike helmets, but that's just my opinion.
Old 03-13-19, 04:33 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 1,483 Times in 541 Posts
I read the specs it meets all required standards...if u cant tell a crappy helmet when u see it feel it or look at its manufacturing then u should just look at the price tag and look for the one with the highest price it will be the best one
Every television meets UL standards, FCC standards, and all other required standards. Does that mean they are all the same quality?
Old 03-13-19, 04:56 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Maybe because $200 is the scam/sucker price, and $50 is the reality based "we still made $30" price.
finally some one who sees the placebo effect....and is smart enough to know when ur being scammed....name brand means very little just gives the helmet or equiptment the benefit of a doubt or a chance to impress the buyer

Sometimes things are more expensive for very good reason.
Just to be clear, I too believe brand name usually will equate to higher quality. I just don't believe a $200 helmet cost the manufacture enough to warrant the $150 premium over their $50 helmet. It's a lot of mark up because the market for high end helmets obviously will bear it. But hey, if someone buying one thinks it's worth 4 times the cost, then obviously it is... to them, anyways.
Old 03-13-19, 05:03 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Research, development, and testing often costs more than pre-production (preparation of molds and casts,) materials, production, and distribution. Rapid prototyping has of course helped reduce this cost, but it remains unfixed, and can get out of hand pretty quickly.

Until a sufficient number of them have been sold, the cost of a $200 helmet is absolutely warranted over a $50 helmet. I don't think they're mocking up entry-level helmets in different configurations and putting them in the wind tunnel. Getting a 7oz helmet to have the same impact resistance as a 12oz helmet means the materials get more expensive. Otherwise, every helmet would weigh 7oz. Motorcycle helmets show this even moreso-- a $500 model might weigh a full pound less than a $200 one-- same safety rating.
Old 03-13-19, 08:32 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by PepeM
The twenty qualities I have laying on my desk right now are proof that money buys quality.
ur not using them I take it
Old 05-17-19, 12:20 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Money wears out your wallet much faster, strive to be poor and look great on your state issued ID.
Old 05-17-19, 03:48 AM
Jno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Contributors to this forum usually respond to posts with opinions supported by information so it is interesting to see how quickly this topic devolved into something else. On the topic of helmet safety, I think it was Bicycling magazine that had an article about the research done at Virginia Tech. Their labs made their name on their research into football helmets, followed it up with hockey helmets and went on from there. They showed that the price to quality ratio is unreliable but maybe not always irrelevant (prices of Football helmets were more closely correlated to quality than hockey ones, if memory serves). In any case, they now maintain a site that includes ratings for bike helmets: https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html
Old 05-17-19, 05:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
Contributors to this forum usually respond to posts with opinions supported by information so it is interesting to see how quickly this topic devolved into something else. On the topic of helmet safety, I think it was Bicycling magazine that had an article about the research done at Virginia Tech. Their labs made their name on their research into football helmets, followed it up with hockey helmets and went on from there. They showed that the price to quality ratio is unreliable but maybe not always irrelevant (prices of Football helmets were more closely correlated to quality than hockey ones, if memory serves). In any case, they now maintain a site that includes ratings for bike helmets: https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html
The VT list is interesting for a lot of reasons. One of the $175 helmets rates too low to be recommended, and the best rated has a list price of $75. They also have a broad price range in the four and five star categories (recommended), and say at that level, It's fine to factor price and comfort into the buying decision.

The cheapest recommended one has a list price of $18, btw, so you can actually pay almost ten times that and get an unacceptable helmet.
Old 05-17-19, 07:13 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
In the cycling world as everywhere else more money gets you a better product-------------up to a point. Once you get to mid range, the only thing more money gets you is a name and snobbery.
Old 05-17-19, 07:23 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
The responses to this poll are extremely biased towards purchasing higher quality helmets, but I'm guessing that's because those who bought lesser quality helmets are no longer available to answer this poll.
Another alternative is that people who aren't easily convinced by marketing figure there's no easy way to convince those who are easily convinced by the marketing.

For those of you who believe you bought higher quality in your bike helmet through the higher price, is there any way to convince you you're wrong?

I didn't think so.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Please send this thread to the helmet sticky thread to join the thousand other same old, same old helmet proselytizing posts.
Yes, please! This has A&S bait written all through the thread.
Old 05-17-19, 07:44 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 528 Posts
I bought the helmet that fit the best, was the most cormfortable, and one that I would wear everytime I got on a bike.
It was 200 bucks, so what! It could save my life one day, or at least keep me from being breathing vegetable. If I thought I could get a better one for more, I would
Tim
Old 05-17-19, 07:57 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
[x] thread about cheap helmets
[x] poor spelling and poor grammar
[x] unsubstantiated statements
[x] personal attacks
[x] inflammatory demeanor
[x] poster 100% convinced they're superior and in the right and everyone who disagrees is wrong

Level 99 troll checks out.
Likes For autonomy:
Old 05-17-19, 07:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
I bought the helmet that fit the best, was the most cormfortable, and one that I would wear everytime I got on a bike.
It was 200 bucks, so what! It could save my life one day, or at least keep me from being breathing vegetable. If I thought I could get a better one for more, I would
Tim
To the extent that the question is at all meaningful, I took it to ask whether one could get a quality helmet at a fraction of that price. From a safety standpoint, VT appears to have shown that you can spend a lot less money and get something equally safe. The other factors are too subjective to say much meaningful, so the fact that the comfort you get with it allows you to wear it more, and is worth $200 to you is good enough reason for you to buy it. It's also perfectly reasonable for me to say that the marginal comfort gains I might realize by spending $150 more than I have is not worth it, provided that the helmet I've purchased has been tested and shown safe.
Old 05-17-19, 08:06 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

u onli tipe liek that b/c u $$$ on helmet & avoid injery
Old 05-17-19, 08:06 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I just bought a new helmet for daily training on amazon
Why do you even need a helmet to train on Amazon every day?
Old 05-17-19, 08:09 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

The jungle is a dangerous place. Best to be prepared.
Old 05-17-19, 08:09 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Why do you even need a helmet to train on Amazon every day?
Grammar matters.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.