Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Balance and Confidence

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 07:22 PM
Kabbie

Bikes: Electra Townie 3i

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Balance and Confidence

It is April, which means it is finally warm enough and light late enough to ride the bike after work. It's been a good 8 months since I've been on my trusty Cannondale Quick and for some reason, it is completely different this spring. I'm not sure if my confidence is gone, or if I'm having a balance issue. What I do know is that I'm scared of making right-hand turns. I slow down to practically nothing before I make the turn now. On today's ride I actually rode into a yard rather than turn a little sharply. It's weird and makes me a nuisance to ride with. Heres the deets: Female, 47, a little bit of cancer, and curvaceous.
Old 04-01-19, 07:32 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 93 Posts
One thought is that you may need to look a little further ahead rather than down at the corner being negotiated. Just a thought.
Old 04-02-19, 09:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Male 71, do a lot of slow rides sharing the side walks with pedestrians and just practice..

unlike guys , you may have the courtesy , as a reflex,.. to converse with the others.. around you..

they should reciprocate ..

I thought the proper phrase was Rubenesque ...
Old 04-03-19, 11:07 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by good4u
One thought is that you may need to look a little further ahead rather than down at the corner being negotiated. Just a thought.
Yep. Eyes on the horizon. Look where you wanna go, not at what you're trying to avoid. Google "target fixation" for the nitty gritty. Also, a little bit of speed helps. Nothing reckless of course, but certainly enough to carry yourself through the corner. Pedaling through corners is bad practice. Google "pedal strike" for the uglies on that. And then there's always "practice makes perfect." Keep at it, you'll get there.

-Kedosto
Old 04-03-19, 11:27 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Do you understand the concept of counter-steering?

If you want to turn right, push down on the right handlebar. If you need to turn right sharper after you've started the turn, push down more on the right handlebar.

Maybe on a wide open parking lot, practice with exaggerated counter-steering, with a pronounced turn to the left to set up a right turn. Practice weaving with pronounced counter-steering.

If intuitive steering doesn't come back to you with some parking lot practice, maybe you do have a balance (inner ear) problem. Maybe there's a simple test you can do to check that out before going to the doctor.
Old 04-03-19, 02:29 PM
SummerG42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for this video!! As a newbie, this answers so many questions!
Old 04-08-19, 07:00 AM
Kabbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I saw a seven year old on a bike path yesterday. She just biked off the path to pass a group of walkers and then biked right back onto it. I miss that ease! I will definitely practice more. And. . . I prefer Curvy Girl. Even though I'm three years away from my first AARP card.
Old 04-08-19, 07:02 AM
Kabbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm making a google list now. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-08-19, 07:04 AM
Kabbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I will definitely work on that. I found the videos for the GCN group this weekend too. I see drills in the local community college parking lot coming up as soon as we have a dry day. I appreciate the feedback!
Old 04-08-19, 10:23 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I was off the bike for a few years, and it took me a while to get back some of my confidence. Then I was off for a few years due to an injury, and I am finding those skills very lacking. Watching kids ride sure makes it look easy!!!

Not that you have any particular issues, but my wife quit riding for much the same reason. She got an adult upright trike and did OK, but then her overall health reached a point she can't ride that either. She believes the turning issue was an inner ear issue.
Old 04-11-19, 04:26 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabbie
a little bit of cancer, and curvaceous.
Ouch.

Some chemotherapy agents can damage your ears, and thus balance.

Wider tires might help with giving a bit more sense of confidence.
Old 04-11-19, 04:33 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Interesting you say it is only to the right you have issues. Do you have any physical issues on that side? Are you right handed or left?

I rode a motorcycle for years. In 1992 I had an accident that was my fault but it happened to be on a right hand curve. After that, I had issues leaning the bike enough on right hand turns. Going left was no issue...I felt confident and capable leaning into left hand turns. I have not noticed if this issue has translated to my cycling on my road bike.
Old 04-19-19, 10:41 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 272 Posts
Five years ago I ordered a touring bicycle. When I first went to the shop they had me test ride one of there bicycles. I started out and after a couple of pedal strokes for no apparent reason I fell on my right side. When I took delivery of my bicycle I had 2" wide Schwalbe marathon supreme tires mounted on it. I wore out 2 sets of those since then and now have a pair on the Schwalbe marathon mondial tires mounted on it. I don't think I put very many miles on it the first 3 years because of my fear of some things that I don't remember bothering me in earlier years. I have started riding consistently since the last week of November and have lost near 40 lbs. My balance has improved but I plan on using 2" wide tires and no narrower because I am comfortable with this. I had previously been rear ended in Florida. I had not been able to work a full work week without severe pain for over 2 years. Confidence is coming back and I am increasing the distance I ride now. After watching some YouTube videos of people touring in other countries. I am considering going to Europe for an extended tour. I appears more pleasant.
Old 04-24-19, 03:59 PM
HeatherIL
Heather IL

Bikes: 89 schwinn caliente, 2019 Cannondale Quick 5

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are you having balance problems in general or only when riding? As someone mentioned above your ears and your balance are related. It might be a good idea to visit an audiologist and have your hearing tested or at least mention the balance trouble to your doctor.

I hope you keep riding!
Old 04-29-19, 06:56 AM
Kabbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the Advice

Thanks for all of the tips, everyone. I took your suggestions and worked on pedal position, figure eights, increasing speed on turns rather than decreasing, and I practiced short stop techniques to help lose the fear of flying over the handle bars. I don't remember who recommended the GCN videos, but they were a godsend. We rode in the Bo Bikes Bama event this weekend and I felt super confident in my abilities to turn corners. I even completed all 20 miles! Next we will work on my abilities to bike up huge hills.. I appreciate the support from everyone!
Old 04-29-19, 09:09 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
At speed you steer with your rear end, not your hands. You apply counter pressure with your outside foot (pedal at 6 o'clock) and counter pressure on the bars when you lean into it.
Old 04-29-19, 09:16 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
It might help if you take your bike to an empty parking lot and "practice". If you're going too slow, it's harder to keep your balance so the empty parking lot can help you gain confidence.