Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Lose weight, keep muscle with weight training, but....

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 04-12-19, 06:52 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

I'm going to lose 30 lbs, (I'm 220 now) and I obviously don't want to lose muscle. I will be doing intensive weight training, but the question I have is, what type of weight training would be best, keeping in mind my cycling hobby? I know a good bit about weight training in general, but I want to keep/develop "cycling muscle", muscle best suited for cycling.
Old 04-12-19, 07:18 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would start with stronglifts 5x5 as a good place to start. lift heavy, concentrate on large muscle groups (squats, deadlift, row, bench and overhead press). the stronglifts app is good too (and free).
Old 04-13-19, 01:01 PM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I'm a big kettlebell fan myself.

I do regular lifting also although with dumbells mostly but that is more for a break in routine.
Likes For 88Tempo:
Old 04-13-19, 01:53 PM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Keeping body mass ( muscle) with moderate cycling will / should work! Once you get into cycling more ( 100 plus miles a week ) with increased speeds, it will be tough ! Pulling your body in two separate directions.....LOL !
Old 04-15-19, 06:42 AM
Turzy

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
I'm going to lose 30 lbs, (I'm 220 now) and I obviously don't want to lose muscle. I will be doing intensive weight training, but the question I have is, what type of weight training would be best, keeping in mind my cycling hobby? I know a good bit about weight training in general, but I want to keep/develop "cycling muscle", muscle best suited for cycling.
some kind of strength oriented training, as in heavy, low rep (max of 5 reps/set)
starting strength, or stronglifts 5x5 are really popular
another great program is 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler, but the original version is not for beginners...
the stronglifts app is pretty good IMO, and the pro features allow you to customize your workouts.
Old 04-15-19, 08:12 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Anything that strengthens your core, glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves. Focus on basic strength exercises. If you have been lifting a while you know there is a difference between lifting to gain mass and lifting for endurance. For mass, it's going heavy for low reps (6-8)...for endurance it's lightening the weight and going for reps (12-20). You would want to mix it up. If you don't, you'll only be good for short burst of effort (if solely lifting for mass). For any of the exercises (whether mass or endurance) the weight needs to be heavy enough to where you need a spot for the last two. If you don't have a spotter then go to failure.

You should also know there is a difference between strength exercises and shaping exercises. Strength exercises are your basic movements like deadlifting, squatting, etc... hitting the major muscle groups (difference between power lifters and bodybuilders).
Old 04-15-19, 10:14 AM
aclass

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax Sport

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeljag
Keeping body mass ( muscle) with moderate cycling will / should work! Once you get into cycling more ( 100 plus miles a week ) with increased speeds, it will be tough ! Pulling your body in two separate directions.....LOL !
Very true. Gaining muscle (or even keeping) and losing fat is extremely hard to accomplish. At least it is for my genetically unfortunate physique.
Bottom line is, never give up! it's a constant battle.
Old 04-15-19, 12:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
good luck, I was never able to do it. trainer told me I shud be 196. lowest I ever got was 206. past 10 yrs I'm hovering around 223
Old 04-19-19, 09:30 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
I think the secret is to lose the weight slowly, while putting on muscle as quickly as you can. I guess I'll take my time with the weight loss in order to preserve my precious muscle.
Old 04-27-19, 03:20 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I would definitely include core strength exercises. No use getting strong arms and legs if your core is weak.

I use an abs roller mostly, and sometimes do a plank on a Swiss ball as that really challenges me.

I also find doing goblet squats and kettlebell swings helps with rapid progress.

Your weight will most likely increase before it decreases if you’re starting out on weight training.
Old 04-28-19, 07:40 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
Don't waste too much of your time trying to correlate the gym work with your cycling strength. I've been into track racing for a long time now and there's this huge (old school) thought process that you need to squat and deadlift, etc to be fast on the bike and have strength. Big squat numbers definitely do not translate to being fast/strong on the bike. You know what......the fastest guy on a bike that I know doesn't do either. He doesn't do any gym, just trains on his bike with big gears and the like.

Just ride your bike to be strong on the bike at what kind of riding you do. Work in the gym for general well being and to mold your body for the aesthetics that you desire. The weight will come off when you tailor your calorie intake accordingly.

Back a few years ago, I went hard core low carb (probably keto, but I didn't monitor ketones so I don't call it that ) leading into state and national champs. I was prepared to lose strength and speed in the short term for long term gain. I didn't back off training load at all. After 10 weeks I lost 17.5kg and I got stronger (power went up) and I got faster setting a F200 PB (no doubt in part due to the weight loss, but I was stronger too). At that stage I wasn't doing any gym either, just on the bike trainer drills and routines.
Old 05-02-19, 01:41 PM
fat2fit

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cobalt123
I would start with stronglifts 5x5 as a good place to start. lift heavy, concentrate on large muscle groups (squats, deadlift, row, bench and overhead press). the stronglifts app is good too (and free).
+1 to this.

Honestly powerlifting is the way to go, heavy compound lifts. I went from 360 to 240 by doing heavy lifting and a calorie deficit. I can pull 500lbs deadlift, 405 squat for reps, and 315 bench 1rm

5x5 Stronglifts will be hard for someone who doesn't know how to lift. I suggest looking at Mark Rippletoes "Starting Strength" - plenty of apps out there if you search this.
Old 05-03-19, 07:29 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fat2fit
+1 to this.

Honestly powerlifting is the way to go, heavy compound lifts. I went from 360 to 240 by doing heavy lifting and a calorie deficit. I can pull 500lbs deadlift, 405 squat for reps, and 315 bench 1rm

5x5 Stronglifts will be hard for someone who doesn't know how to lift. I suggest looking at Mark Rippletoes "Starting Strength" - plenty of apps out there if you search this.
That's a good book. (but I had to laugh at "rippletoes" LOL)

Check here:
Old 05-04-19, 06:49 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Maybe I am not understanding the question correctly, but to keep or develop cycling muscle then keep cycling or increase your range or intensity.
Old 08-13-20, 03:27 AM
katrinoricci

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I'm glad that you have decided to add the weight training to your schedule. Because in fact, cycling works as cardio. You are burning calories, and if you do not work with weighing you stand a fair chance to burn the muscles, as well, dude. I have been struggling with getting the right balance in this, just like you. However, what really helped me was Noom Cost method. It's a relative newcomer in the weight loss program arena. But everything is so reasoably explained. I advise you if you haven't made it till the end.

Last edited by katrinoricci; 08-27-20 at 03:07 AM. Reason: experience from my boyfriend
Old 08-18-20, 10:44 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
I just want to throw it out there that when people say "I don't want to lose muscle" or "I want to "preserve my precious muscle", they are talking about muscle size. Not muscle power or strength. Hobby cycling does not need 'Stronglifts', 'Starting Strength', or 'Crossfit' as adjunct programs. What I suspect the o.p. wants to begin is a more or less standard bodybuilding routine. A Bench Press performed 3 sets x 10 to 12 reps is a very different beast than a Bench performed 5 sets x 5 reps in its effects on a persons appearance over time. The cycling won't care either way, but for me anyway, the bodybuilding approach fits better with what I want to see in the mirror.
Likes For Leisesturm: