Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good Chain Lube??? Mines WD40. :P

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Good Chain Lube??? Mines WD40. :P

Old 04-14-19, 02:18 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Yep, I've thought the same thing. I have a can of some highly popular motorcycle chain lube, that i hung on to after selling my motorcycle, intending to try it out as a bicycle chain lube, but then recalled how dry,thick and tacky it got on my Honda XR, and had second thoughts.
Plus, that XR is a rooster tail throwin' off road ma-sheen. Dirt, mud, and sand are definitely part of the game.
Old 04-14-19, 02:19 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by allout1
Haha, I use WD40. I was looking at Finish Line's Dry stuff. Not sure though. What's good and price conscious?

The WD40 drips all over the rim and frame when things get spinning. Then I have to clean those up afterwards. This happens even if I towel the chain down.

I want something that's not making a splatter mess all over my cleaning work on the bike. LOL
Just have a rag handy and wipe it down. A little oil on the rim and frame won't hurt a thing.
Old 04-14-19, 02:27 PM
allout1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
A chain lube thread. Can't wait to hear all of the new developments and advancements since the last one a few days ago. There should be new sub forum dedicated to chain lube.
Old 04-14-19, 02:36 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

The OP is a newbie
You think?
Old 04-14-19, 02:38 PM
allout1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome thread. Learning a lot. I'll give that WD-40 Bike Lube a spray, and let everyone know.
Old 04-14-19, 02:44 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I have used many brands over my 50 years of cycling. Currently I find DuPont Telfon Chain-Saver to meet my needs. I purchased from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews

Old 04-14-19, 02:47 PM
allout1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
I have used many brands over my 50 years of cycling. Currently I find DuPont Telfon Chain-Saver to meet my needs. I purchased from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews
Does it sling off?
Old 04-14-19, 02:53 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Does it sling off?
NO. Been using it for the past two years or over 15,000 miles on my road and mtn bikes. Keeps the chain in good working non-oily condition. On my travel bikes that live off the back of our motorhome in during the summer months I need to treat more due to their continued exposure to the elements however. Water is not their friend.
Old 04-14-19, 03:35 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 818 Posts
Haha, I use WD40. I was looking at Finish Line's Dry stuff. Not sure though. What's good and price conscious?

The WD40 drips all over the rim and frame when things get spinning. Then I have to clean those up afterwards. This happens even if I towel the chain down.

I want something that's not making a splatter mess all over my cleaning work on the bike. LOL

I like to use marine grease. It sticks, it lasts, it lubricates, and it ain't slingin' off. And you'll really like this. It's cheap.
Old 04-14-19, 03:40 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts
ProLink on my chain, and Butt Butt'r on my a$$.
Old 04-14-19, 04:21 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I do not have long term experience, but I tried a thick petroleum oil once and my chain became very dirty. I do ride through sand some, so I use a dry lube.

Dry lube
Old 04-14-19, 07:54 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1603 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
I've used wd40 on bike chains for years and it works great, period. Also I have the exact opposite affect from the OP. It doesn't get anywhere but the chain after wiping. The best part is, it cleans the chain and LUBRICATES it. Ever had a squeaky door and used WD40? I have, its a lubricant and says so right on the can.
Old 04-14-19, 09:00 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
WD-40 is not a lubricant but this works great! Use liberally!!

Last edited by drlogik; 04-14-19 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 09:23 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 906 Posts
Seriously OP, "The chain lube thread" lives in infamy here.
Here's one: Chain lube thread

The gist of it is:
Dry lube for dry/dusty summer conditions.
Wet lube for wet/rainy winter conditions.

Some will post a chart on the various chain longevity of various kinds of lube. It'll look like this:

aJ5IyhV7.jpeg by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Tri-flo, WD-40 come out mid-grade at best & others came out worst, Phil's & Chain-L came out best.

I tried WD-40, used it regularly and my chains lasted 1500 miles. Half of what is expected. I switched to Chain-L and am getting 5000+ miles per, with regular 1000 mile cleanings. I don't know how long it actually lasts. I have yet to have one wear out. The trick is wiping enough off that grime doesn't accumulate.

When the Chain-L is runs out, I'm just going to buy bar-oil from the home improvement store. It's the same thing.

Last edited by base2; 04-14-19 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 10:19 PM
LesG

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
So, yeah, i was talking about plain (synthetic) motor oil, not transmission fluid. But, both of them are popular as gun lubricants, and presumably would be as effective on bike chains.
Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm curious why you felt compelled to inject the, "nor will I".
The rationale (my understanding of it anyway) for using the transmission fluid (leaving out the motor oil) as a lubricant for firearms is that transmission fluid needs to keep a transmission clean, lubricated and doing so in a hot environment. Firearms have those same needs and also in a hot environment. The big difference, to my mind, is that in a transmission the fluid is constantly being distributed. Not the case with firearms particularly regarding the slides on a semi auto. So hence the reason I personally won't use it but I know folks that do with seemingly no ill effects. However I do shoot competitively so things need to be kept lubricated for more than 100 or 150 rounds. The stuff might be fine on a bike chain but I don't know if that's true or not.

I apologize to everyone as the above is a bit off topic.
Old 04-14-19, 10:37 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Rock "N" Roll Gold ...duh.
Old 04-14-19, 10:42 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I really like Muc-Off C3 Dry Ceramic. It becomes touch-dry a few hours after application, so no spatter and it resists gunk build-up on the chain. Gear shifts are also silky smooth and I’ve noticed that the drivetrain is quieter.
Old 04-15-19, 05:18 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I only use dry lubes on my road bike. Anything that leaves oily or sticky residues will pick up dust and grime in time and will turn the chain into a black mess. Rock and Roll Gold or Finish Line dry.

Mountain bikes are a bit different and /I use wet lubes on them. Finish Line wet.

Dupont chain saver looks interesting though.
Old 04-15-19, 05:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
I am tired of trying to educate you people, but here I go again: NFS is the best chain lube. Period. End of story.
Old 04-15-19, 06:46 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
A chain lube thread. Can't wait to hear all of the new developments and advancements since the last one a few days ago. There should be new sub forum dedicated to chain lube.
Thanks! I just spewed breakfast smoothie when I read this. :-)
Old 04-15-19, 07:59 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by LesG
The rationale (my understanding of it anyway) for using the transmission fluid (leaving out the motor oil) as a lubricant for firearms is that transmission fluid needs to keep a transmission clean, lubricated and doing so in a hot environment. Firearms have those same needs and also in a hot environment. The stuff might be fine on a bike chain but I don't know if that's true or not.

I apologize to everyone as the above is a bit off topic.
I always thought transmission fluid and paint did not play together well. I might be wrong though. In any case It does seem kind of thin in viscosity for the sheer forces of a loaded chain roller. Transmission fluid is intended to lubricate under pressure against a predominantly compressive load. Most importantly, in an automatic transmission is the fluids need to take heat away acting as a coolant. Lubricative properties are a secondary requirement. That's why it is only changed every 30-90k miles; 1/3 to 1/60th as often as motor oil whose primary purpose is to lubricate.

The thin viscosity of transmission fluid helps for simple pumping volume. Fluid that is too thick would not flow into the bearings & rollers in high enough volume to have the necessary cooling effect. Then there is pump cavitation of air & non-condensable gasses in the pump from driving the fluid too hard & the risk of foaming from air entrapment as the too thick fluid does not allow bubbles to rise/escape easily.

Water is a fantastic lubricant too. It's used in the stern tube & strut bearings of ships & screw-type air compresdors. But I wouldn't recommend it for bicycles.

Aaron (who In a former life I did fuel oil/lube oil quality management as part of my duties to operate & maintain an engineering plant.)
Old 04-15-19, 08:14 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Ya, I don't know why people use ATF for a lube. It eats paint good. It eats thru asphalt good. I would not use it as a lube.
I have used Chain-L and yes, you need to wipe the outside off several times so dirt will not stick. I think this is where people have problems.
I ran low on Chain-L and added some PhilWood tenacious oil to the Chain-L, with some mineral spirts to get it to flow.......OMG
Old 04-15-19, 08:21 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked 5,400 Times in 2,796 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik

But the downside is you will have every neighborhood dog & cat following you.
Old 04-15-19, 08:44 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
^^^ I actually did use butter as chain lube quite often when I was a kid. It gunked up pretty quickly though.

For the last few years I have been using Finish Line Wet lube, and I can't complain.
Old 04-15-19, 08:45 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik

NO! The salt in bacon grease is one of the best rust makers ever!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.