Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good Chain Lube??? Mines WD40. :P

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Good Chain Lube??? Mines WD40. :P

Old 04-22-19, 11:47 AM
Wooderson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
We all know WD-40 makes products other than the old classic, including a bike-specific line, but when someone refers to just "WD-40" with no further classification, I think it's pretty safe to assume they are referring to the classic.

Also, molten speedwax on the road bike, rock n roll gold on the mtb and gravel bike
Old 04-22-19, 12:07 PM
jdsyachts

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3, Trek 7900, Sun EZ Tad 3, Canondale F400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer dry lube. Squirt works well for me.
Old 04-22-19, 12:53 PM
GARY HANNAN

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WD-40 is a moisture-displacer (drying agent), not a lubricant. Same thing a locksmith told me.
Old 04-22-19, 12:55 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,979 Times in 1,413 Posts
Originally Posted by GARY HANNAN
WD-40 is a moisture-displacer (drying agent), not a lubricant. Same thing a locksmith told me.
I read this all the time. Problem is, WD-40 is slippery...make a great lubricant for many things. I don't personally use it on bike chains, but I sure use it for lots of other things.

-Matt
Old 04-22-19, 01:04 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
WD 40 destroyed two freewheels

I always used WD40 on my chain, instead of spraying it on the chain with nothing behind the chain to stop the excess spray, I would spray the chain as it ran on the freewheel. I had two freewheels self destruct before I figured out that WD40 while a lube is also a solvent, and by spraying the chain on the freewheel it had worked its way into the freewheel lubrication and washed the ballbearing grease away. I now use 3in1 oil on my chain.
Old 04-22-19, 01:05 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by GARY HANNAN
Says lubricant right on the can.

Might not be the ideal lubricant for bike chains. But it IS a lubricant.

Otherwise I've tricked the door hinge in my bathroom with a placebo effect.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 04-22-19, 01:17 PM
Chrisman183

Bikes: 2009 specialized hardrock; 1977 Trek 510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a dry graphite lube spray on my mountain bike once and it seemed to work, but I have no idea if it was good for it or not, I just had it lying around and thought it would be better than WD-40.
Old 04-22-19, 01:23 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts
Have you tried paraffin wax?
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 04-22-19, 01:48 PM
Linesider

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Domane 4.0, Xcaliber 7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ran out of chain lube a while back and needed to take care of the chain. I had just changed the oil in my car and had some used Mobil 1 10w-30 in the garage. I put it on the bicycle chain with a tooth brush and wiped off the excess. Worked great, lasted a long time. Actually lasted longer than the bicycle specific lube. I'm not going back to traditional chain lube.

WD 40 is definitely a lubricant, but too thin for bicycle chain life. There's a longer discussion with Langmuir's theory of lubrication and boundary layers, but just use what makes you happy.
Likes For Linesider:
Old 04-22-19, 02:01 PM
Trooper

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

On an unrelated note, I am watching the 2019 Paris-Roubaix race.

Phill Ligget, without Paul Sherwen sounds sad. Those two were the Dynamic Duo of cycling broadcasting.
Indeed. Not the same. :-(
Old 04-22-19, 02:32 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Very entertaining video in post #95 ! Perhaps it's time to switch to hypoid gear oil and forego those expensive lubes (been using ProLink ProGold for years). Come to think of it, I could have likely saved money by leaving off the lube and replacing the chain more often.
Old 04-22-19, 06:18 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Again WD-40 is NOT a lube. Besides that is it making a mess for you. Just use plain motor oil, Mobil 1 is probably the best.
WD makes a mess when it's wet and seems to break down oil and leave a rusty chain if your not careful. I use it on rusty chains too loosen crud and help remove rust then dry it completely and spray silicone, a dry lubricant. It makes a chain clean to handle and doesn't attract dirt and get gritty..
Old 04-22-19, 06:26 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked 5,400 Times in 2,796 Posts
Originally Posted by speedlever
Very entertaining video in post #95 ! Perhaps it's time to switch to hypoid gear oil and forego those expensive lubes (been using ProLink ProGold for years). Come to think of it, I could have likely saved money by leaving off the lube and replacing the chain more often.
I actually tried 75W-90 gear lube on a bike chain once.
I had it sitting on the shelf for the Jeep, so I decided to give it a shot;
Pro: Chain was immediately dead silent.
Con: It attracted and held chunks of dirt like fly paper.

After watching that FortNine video, I checked my (motor)bikes manual, and as he stated, it does recommend gear lube for the chain rollers, and also recommends applying some kind of oil to the rubber rings to keep them wetted. I've been using Triflow for both, but may try gear lube on the rollers.
Old 04-22-19, 06:27 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
By the way, this brand new Bontrager lube smells Deee-lish!
Old 04-22-19, 06:31 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

On an unrelated note, I am watching the 2019 Paris-Roubaix race.

Phill Ligget, without Paul Sherwen sounds sad. Those two were the Dynamic Duo of cycling broadcasting.
Man, I missed that news. NBC seems to mix and match their crews during the spring races so I didn't think anything of it when Phil and Bob did Roubaix. I will surely miss him and his great insights during the Tour. And at only 62 yo.
Old 04-22-19, 07:14 PM
WMBIGS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used many bike chain lubes, tri-flow, 3in1. I have many quarts of synthetic hypoid 80-90 weight gear oil. Using an old tri-flow bottle, one little drop per link on a clean and dry chain. Clean with Park tool chain cleaner and repeat. Nothing like the smell of synthetic hypoid gear oil in the morning!!
Old 04-22-19, 08:05 PM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
I've been using my old supply of Motul motorcycle chain lube. It's super tacky and doesn't sling off.

Are bicycle specific chain lubes tacky as well?
I think that may be the stuff that I bought when over in Germany on a business trip in 1991 and had brought my road bike. Just asked for chain lube, can't recall if it was a bicycle or motorcycle shop. Sticky, like contact cement? If that's the stuff, what a mess.

When young, my dad used motor oil. As I got older and more sophisticated and bought my first expensive road bike, I followed the LBS when they said that was too thick, so I went thinner; Thin probably resulted in less friction, more sporty (but possibly less durable). Then I wanted cleaner, so for a long time in the 90s I used a homemade melted wax mixture, very clean and dry, relubing the chain was a big tadoo (about monthly, I rode 55k each day). Now I ride a townie and it rains a lot where I live so the wax thing not so much. For a while I used synthetic automatic trans fluid, worked ok. Recently been using 3-in-1 oil, tried it when out of other stuff and by gosh it seems to work great, been on 4 months and hasn't dried out. But now, thinking about it, even though the chain is not severe use like an engine timing chain, the loading on those small pivots is probably pretty high, so I want best durability. I actually have some 80-90W gear lube, may try that. Although as I recall, it smells really bad.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-22-19 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 12:42 AM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Best chain lube NLA

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
I have used many brands over my 50 years of cycling. Currently I find DuPont Telfon Chain-Saver to meet my needs. I purchased from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3G6FD4/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

Back in the 80's I got turned on by a bike shop to a lube named BG's ASK. It dried to a glass like finish and would last a couple of hundred miles. Ran the (Sedisport) chain thru a cotton cloth to clean and re-applied. Have not found anything close to this stuff since. ASK was discontinued due to the nature of it's propellant.

Last edited by sewupnut; 04-23-19 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Incomplete sentence
Old 04-23-19, 11:07 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I actually tried 75W-90 gear lube on a bike chain once.
I had it sitting on the shelf for the Jeep, so I decided to give it a shot;
Pro: Chain was immediately dead silent.
Con: It attracted and held chunks of dirt like fly paper.

After watching that FortNine video, I checked my (motor)bikes manual, and as he stated, it does recommend gear lube for the chain rollers, and also recommends applying some kind of oil to the rubber rings to keep them wetted. I've been using Triflow for both, but may try gear lube on the rollers.
That con is significant to me.

Originally Posted by WMBIGS
I have used many bike chain lubes, tri-flow, 3in1. I have many quarts of synthetic hypoid 80-90 weight gear oil. Using an old tri-flow bottle, one little drop per link on a clean and dry chain. Clean with Park tool chain cleaner and repeat. Nothing like the smell of synthetic hypoid gear oil in the morning!!
And I forgot about the odor of hypoid gear oil. I think I'll stay with my good ol' ProLink.

Although in another chart ProLink showed worse for wear... if I read it right. Oh well. I get excellent mileage out of chains (around 4000 miles, +/-)
Old 04-23-19, 08:22 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
Man, I missed that news. NBC seems to mix and match their crews during the spring races so I didn't think anything of it when Phil and Bob did Roubaix. I will surely miss him and his great insights during the Tour. And at only 62 yo.
Sherwen was the serious anchor to Uncle Phil’s occasional flights of verbal whimsy.
Old 04-23-19, 08:23 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Trooper
Indeed. Not the same. :-(
Agreed 100%.
Old 04-23-19, 08:39 PM
WMBIGS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sewupnut

Back in the 80's I got turned on by a bike shop to a lube named BG's ASK. It dried to a glass like finish and would last a couple of hundred miles. Ran the (Sedisport) chain thru a cotton cloth to clean and re-applied. Have not found anything close to this stuff since. ASK was discontinued due to the nature of it's propellant.
We used the BG ASK at the motorcycle shop I worked at. That was good stuff. The tacky chain lube was soooooo hard to get off the wheel and other bike parts.
Old 04-23-19, 09:39 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You can spray WD-40 all over your bike, if you want to. But it's not a lubricant.
This is a myth, go to the WD40 site and they plainly state that it's a lube; but besides that the WD40 lube the OP was talking about is there new bike lube, and it's a lube for chains.

Anyways I use Rock N Roll Dry
Old 04-24-19, 04:48 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
WD = Water Displacement
Old 04-24-19, 07:03 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Concerning the WD40 debate here, there seems to be some confusion about the term "lubricant". Obviously, the stuff can lubricate things, but that doesn't mean it's a legitimate lubricant, in the context used here.
The stuff lubricates, but only in the short term, but it is not an acceptable lubricant for mechanical devices.
Water is also a "lubricant", that's why vehicles stop less efficiently on wet roads, but that doesn't mean water is something you would classify as a "lubricant", and therefore use on mechanical devices, which is basically the 'logic' that keeps popping up here.

Last edited by Brocephus; 04-24-19 at 07:07 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.