Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 05:33 PM
Jhund

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for advice

I am brand new to this forum and I have not been on a bike in I don't know how long. For the last two weeks I've been reading, looking and testing bikes at various lbs of in the area. I don't want a cheap bike and I don't want to spend thousands on a bike. I've narrowed my search to two bikes: 2019 Giant Roam 2 Disc and the Jamis DXT Sport. I'm leaning toward the Jamis for a couple not technical reasons but I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake. It feels like I can't go wrong with either bike but want to make sure I'm not missing something. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Apologies if this is too long of a post!
Old 04-29-19, 06:03 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Welcome! From a technical standpoint, the Jamis has a slightly nicer 75mm NVX fork compared with the Roam's more typical-for-a-hybrid 63mm NEX fork. As a counter to that, the Roam has a slightly nicer drivetrain, with nicer derailleurs and crankset with a 9 speed cassette compared with the DXT's legacy 8 speed drivetrain. The Giant has a more common 31.8mm stem and handlebar, whereas the Jamis uses the older and smaller 25.4mm size. As a counter to that, the Jamis comes stock with 42mm tires, which may be better for you than the Giant's 38mm tires. It's super easy to obsess over technical details, but these bikes are very similar, and it's not likely you'll have buyer's remorse over either one because of the specs.

Don't underestimate the power of the non-technicals! The paint colors and finish, the frame styling and sizing and fit -- all of that is at least or more important than components in my opinion. Within reason, any bolt-on component can be changed or upgraded over time. It's very difficult to change a frame's color with good success (at least not cheaply), and you really can't fix basic frame geometry that doesn't really work for you. Things like head tube angle and trail and chainstay length all influence how a bike "drives", and you can't just bolt-on new chainstays. I think you're on the right track listening to your emotions if you want one bike more than the other for non-technical reasons. You won't get excited to ride your bike knowing it has an Altus level crankset vs. a Tourney level crankset. But you WILL be more fond of it if it's in your favorite color (or if it's not in a color you dislike)!

You aren't in the Northern Shenandoah valley are you? Funny -- one of my local bike shops stocks both Giant and Jamis bikes (which seems somewhat uncommon), and they have Roams and DXTs in stock all the time...

Good luck!
Old 04-29-19, 06:28 PM
Jhund

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Welcome! From a technical standpoint, the Jamis has a slightly nicer 75mm NVX fork compared with the Roam's more typical-for-a-hybrid 63mm NEX fork. As a counter to that, the Roam has a slightly nicer drivetrain, with nicer derailleurs and crankset with a 9 speed cassette compared with the DXT's legacy 8 speed drivetrain. The Giant has a more common 31.8mm stem and handlebar, whereas the Jamis uses the older and smaller 25.4mm size. As a counter to that, the Jamis comes stock with 42mm tires, which may be better for you than the Giant's 38mm tires. It's super easy to obsess over technical details, but these bikes are very similar, and it's not likely you'll have buyer's remorse over either one because of the specs.

Don't underestimate the power of the non-technicals! The paint colors and finish, the frame styling and sizing and fit -- all of that is at least or more important than components in my opinion. Within reason, any bolt-on component can be changed or upgraded over time. It's very difficult to change a frame's color with good success (at least not cheaply), and you really can't fix basic frame geometry that doesn't really work for you. Things like head tube angle and trail and chainstay length all influence how a bike "drives", and you can't just bolt-on new chainstays. I think you're on the right track listening to your emotions if you want one bike more than the other for non-technical reasons. You won't get excited to ride your bike knowing it has an Altus level crankset vs. a Tourney level crankset. But you WILL be more fond of it if it's in your favorite color (or if it's not in a color you dislike)!

You aren't in the Northern Shenandoah valley are you? Funny -- one of my local bike shops stocks both Giant and Jamis bikes (which seems somewhat uncommon), and they have Roams and DXTs in stock all the time...

Good luck!
Thank you for the info. Funny, I was concerned about the 8 versus 9 gears but figured since I'm new I wouldn't notice much of a difference, which goes for all of the other specs too! I just didn't want to buy cheap. I like the wider tire.

I'm about an hour West of Philadelphia and it would have been helpful if Jamis and Giant were together but my head might have exploded with all of the comparison. Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-30-19, 07:50 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Get the one you like more. You're not going to go wrong with either.

Which one feels a little more comfortable? Pick that one.

If they are both equally comfortable...which one is the color you like better?

8 vs 9 gears...you won't notice. Especially if the top and bottom gears at the same and the difference is 1 extra gear in the middle.
Old 04-30-19, 04:49 PM
Jhund

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you.