Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you talk to dogs?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you talk to dogs?

Old 04-30-19, 04:57 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Do you talk to dogs?

When you ride your regular routes, do you talk to dogs that you see?
There is a large dog on one of our regular rides. I call him "big fella" because he is a big dog. He used to charge the fence barking madly but I've always called out to him as I go by and now he comes out and runs along. He still barks but it is a different tone than it used to be.
There is one little yappy dog that we call scraps that always comes out after us but doesn't go for legs or wheels, it just runs alongside keeping pace. It is a cute little thing and we talk to it every time that it is out.
There are also a handful in yards with the buried wires for shock collars. You can tell by the wear pattern in the grass.
Then the ones in pens always get a shout out. People get dogs who by nature are social animals and then put them in a pen away from the house. That makes me sad to see.
One house used to raise dachshunds and they had a couple of litters for a while. We called it the wienerdog ambush as several would charge the fence and run along.

I believe that it helps acclimate dogs to seeing bicycles not as a vile incarnate monstrosity from hell but as something associated with people.
Old 04-30-19, 05:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I doubt it matters, but there's no harm in it, so I do it from time to time because I love dogs. I try never to talk to a dog being walked on a leash, though, because it might make the dog more difficult to control.
Old 04-30-19, 07:15 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Talking to dogs is fun.

But if they talk back....it means you've ridden a little too hard that day and it's probably a good time to take a rest.
Old 04-30-19, 07:29 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 592 Posts
I do if I'm taking a break and they pass by. I love dogs.
In relation to this, there's a dog park that I pass by on the regular path I ride on. One dog that's there just about everyday seems to love bikers. He can spot me or any rider meters away then starts sprinting in the same direction by the fence. It's become a fun ritual now where I sprint with him until the fence ends. Then he turns around and waits for his next "victim". lol
Old 04-30-19, 08:14 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 400 Posts
Sometimes I'll talk to the dogs I encounter. It kind of depends on the situation. Like suggested above...I don't want to cause the dog to become a burden to the owner...so if the dog seems agitated I won't say anything.

There is one dog that I frequently encounter at the beginning/ending of my rides just over a mile from my house. It's a little Boston Terrier. Cute, but nothing really to be frightened of. It gets PI$$ED off when I ride past its yard (which I assume is protected with an Invisible Fence since the dog doesn't leave the yard). At my approach it comes sprinting out from the porch, barking its everloving head off, and then runs parallel to me down the length of the yard, barking, as if to chase me away, and to protect its domain. I can only assume this dog feels very confident...since its barking always sends this much larger beast, on a machine with wheels, away and never makes a closer approach.

Dan
Old 04-30-19, 08:38 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Lots of dogs like a greet, even more would like some meat. In a pinch some cheese will do. just make sure the meat ain't you.
Actually you shouldn't feed other folks dogs, but for many running along a fence barking seems their primary exercise so I don't mind the barking.
Old 04-30-19, 08:56 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
When you ride your regular routes, do you talk to dogs that you see?

... I believe that it helps acclimate dogs to seeing bicycles not as a vile incarnate monstrosity from hell but as something associated with people.
Yes, I often do. Particularly if it's on regular routes and there's a dog that doesn't seem to quite "get" my presence there, yet.

I, too, find that a fairly calm and playful voice helps assure the dog that I'm no threat. Somewhat slower speeds seem to help, as does making a bit of noise farther off so the dog isn't surprised by me before it's had time to process my presence.

Worthwhile in all cases? Not in my experience. But it sure seems to help in many cases, providing the dogs with more positive assurance that I'm not worth chasing or assaulting.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 04-30-19 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-30-19, 09:15 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
On a favorite route on a tiny rural road I've "raced" several generations of border collies along their fence line, great fun watching the puppies go from tumbling over their own feet trying to keep up w/ their parents to leading the charge themselves. I give them "C'mon Dogs!" accelerating into their line of sight and just go, it's a pretty even contest and great fun.

-Bandera
Old 04-30-19, 09:24 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
Reminds me of that great Gary Larson cartoon where the cows were in the car yelling out the windows and the people in the field as they drove by...
Old 04-30-19, 09:56 AM
scotton
noodly appendage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Good dogs get a "Hey buddy" or "Good boy". Bad dogs get a "NO!! NO!! GetthefrickhomeorIwillkillyouandeverythingyoulove!" followed by a lot of loud cussing in the hopes that the dogs owner will put down the Cheetos long enough to come out and get their dog out of the street before it gets hit by a car.
There are many dogs that I see often that make me happy. And there are some dogs that I have a complicated, pepper-spray flavored relationship with.
Likes For scotton:
Old 04-30-19, 11:01 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Dogs are the best people, I talk to them any time I can, ride or not.
Likes For Rootman:
Old 04-30-19, 11:29 AM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Reminds me of that great Gary Larson cartoon where the cows were in the car yelling out the windows and the people in the field as they drove by...
"yakity yak yak..."
Old 04-30-19, 11:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
I talk to dogs and cats. This is Ducky. So named because sounds a bit like a duck. Her family owns a farm stand. Stopped there on my overnight tour last weekend.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-30-19, 11:49 AM
indyfabz

I also talk to cows.

Old 04-30-19, 11:58 AM
justtrying

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Of course I talk to dogs. I talk to mine all the time. On occasion I stop the bike to say hello if it seems appropriate. My damm dog though goes crazy barking at bikes,trucks ( particularly landscaper’s trucks) other dogs. It’s gotten to the point where I go the other way if I see a potential source of him starting to bark.
Old 04-30-19, 12:03 PM
indyfabz

Cats are way cooler than dogs. Saw this boy while touring in MA:

Old 04-30-19, 12:54 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Makes me think of Iohan Gueorguiev YouTube videos in the See The World Series. He so great with animals.

Old 04-30-19, 01:11 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Dogs, cats, cows, sheep - I talk to 'em all.

Most of my riding is out in the country, so most of the dogs I come across are free and have no owner in sight. Some just get told to sit and go home. A few of the ones that I thought were aggressive in the past really just want someone to stop for a chat (like that lovely fat lab that used to scare the crap out of me). Collies are usually my BFFs.

There's also a few places where I stop and chat with the barn cats. They're not as friendly, though they sometimes follow me around for a bit.

It's especially fun when I'm on a ride with someone who can get the cows to moo back. I'm more of a city person and am not that skilled.
Old 04-30-19, 01:14 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 384 Posts
I don't usually talk to dogs, but there were 2 of them that used to run at me barking aggresively on my commute. They didn't look really threatening, but were annoying. So one day I stopped and talked to them: "You bad dogs, what's the matter with you? Come on, let's be friends". They looked surprised and a bit afraid at first, but then changed their attitude totally.
I also yell "NO!" at dogs sometimes, that usually works.
Old 04-30-19, 01:55 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Makes me think of Iohan Gueorguiev YouTube videos in the See The World Series. He so great with animals.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fE6AvSlgBs
What a fearless person! Incredible. Thanks for posting this.

But, yeah, I talk to dogs I meet on rides. I've gotten to pet a few.
Old 04-30-19, 03:39 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I usually talk to dogs. There are a couple on my regular rides that used to come running out. I am more worried about hitting them than anything else. If I know a dog is going to run out and I don't have a jump on them, I'll dismount and keep the bike between myself and the dog (keeping to the opposite side of the road if possible as they are territorial).

I also like to moo at the cows. I've gotten pretty good at it where they will actually look up from eating grass and cock their heads sideways as if i just told them something special.

-Sean
Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 04-30-19, 03:50 PM
BKE

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Dogs and anything else....

with 4 legs and fur, I love animals. It's people that can be difficult.
Old 04-30-19, 04:54 PM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
On the MUP I ride, I talk to the dogs, the rabbits, squirrels, and the cardinals.
Old 04-30-19, 05:02 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
When I'm in the country side I will make zombie sounds at the horses and cows to see if they react.
Old 04-30-19, 05:52 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I also yell "NO!" at dogs sometimes, that usually works.
Years ago, on another bike forum I used to hang out on, there was a thread full of bike-related tips. One of them was to yell, "NO!" at dogs that were chasing you, the theory being (I guess) that most dogs aren't actually feral and rabid, but are merely someone's pet, that grew up hearing and understanding, "no". In the years since, I've found that 9/10 times, it at least causes them to lose some enthusiasm in their chase, giving me time to scoot on by.
As for the OP's question, yeah, I'm a dog-talker. A calm, friendly tone does seem to calm them down, especially the ones I cross paths with regularly. Sometimes I'll stop and try to make friends and pet them, but sometimes, when they're real A-holes, it's to pick up a rock and chase after THEM !!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.