Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you talk to dogs?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you talk to dogs?

Old 04-30-19, 10:35 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
i whisper to them. I'm the dog whisperer.
Old 04-30-19, 10:58 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
i whisper to them. I'm the dog whisperer.
But your name isn't Cesar. lol
Old 05-01-19, 12:03 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Of course I do, and cats too.
Old 05-01-19, 01:32 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
There are no dogs on my route. If I was chased by a dog I would call animal control that would come and quickly remove it or cite the owner. An advantage of living in the city.

The last time I was chased by a dog was 22 years ago.The last time I petted a dog I was a kid and it had fleas. I don't talk to dogs and I don't pet them.
Old 05-01-19, 01:48 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
No. Dogs are not toys, not my business, I don't know them. But I'll sound the horn if there's one on the path.
Old 05-01-19, 03:47 AM
JenJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Of course, dogs are the best therapist of all and the best cheerleader when you are down.
Old 05-01-19, 06:21 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Makes me think of Iohan Gueorguiev YouTube videos in the See The World Series. He so great with animals.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fE6AvSlgBs
I am into bikepacking and Iohan is one of my favorites. Some of my foreign work colleagues know him. His adventures are outstanding.

I also moo at cows.
Old 05-01-19, 08:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I started a thread about least scary wild animal attacks recounting when I tried talking to a groundhog who was partially blocking the path. She didn't like that.

As I said above, I consciously stop myself from talking to dogs on leashes while I ride because it might encourage them to try to play with me and cause problems for the owner. What I didn't mention is that I love dogs so much that I occasionally find myself making an involuntary demented-sounding laugh noise when I see on that I find particularly amusing or adorable.
Old 05-01-19, 08:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Years ago, on another bike forum I used to hang out on, there was a thread full of bike-related tips. One of them was to yell, "NO!" at dogs that were chasing you, the theory being (I guess) that most dogs aren't actually feral and rabid, but are merely someone's pet, that grew up hearing and understanding, "no". In the years since, I've found that 9/10 times, it at least causes them to lose some enthusiasm in their chase, giving me time to scoot on by.
Yes. You are showing them who is "top dog." For stubborn ones, a squirt of water to the face often works well. I love that "Whoa! I wasn't expecting that!" look, especially from the smaller ones.
Old 05-01-19, 10:51 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
"They're good dogs, Bront!"
Old 05-01-19, 11:59 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 224 Posts
I love behaved dogs. I hate loose dogs while riding. I do not talk to them. I don't want to encourage them to start chasing. If that happens they will get a loud "NO". I will talk to other animals since they react better with a warning sound by staying out of the way. The exception being squirrels. I usually say "damn stupid #$%&*# squirrel".
Old 05-01-19, 07:59 PM
scotton
noodly appendage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Well, now that we've broken the seal on cows, I have to say that I have an inability to pass a cow and not moo. Horses get a "Hey horse", goats get a "Goat goat" (I dunno why, they just do) but there is not a cow within 100 miles of my house that I haven't mooed at.
Likes For scotton:
Old 05-02-19, 04:52 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Any animal that I encounter gets a hello. Even the human variety gets a wave.
Old 05-02-19, 05:51 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
I love behaved dogs. I hate loose dogs while riding. I do not talk to them. I don't want to encourage them to start chasing. If that happens they will get a loud "NO". I will talk to other animals since they react better with a warning sound by staying out of the way. The exception being squirrels. I usually say "damn stupid #$%&*# squirrel".
First rule of dog ownership: DOGS CAN BE TRAINED. Too bad 99% of dog owner don't get this. Having your dog on a leash is the law. But allowing him to stretch 20 ft. in all directions across the path and sidewalk defeats the purpose.

For those of you that don't get this consider the command known as "heel". But I've gotten off topic haven't I? This is the talking dogs thread.
Old 05-02-19, 05:59 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
Any animal that I encounter gets a hello. Even the human variety gets a wave.
I'm pretty much the same. Where I ride, I encounter a lot more animals than people.

With loose dogs, I don't want to surprise them. I don't encounter a lot of them, but when I do I want to see how they might react to me before I'm right on top of them. Mostly they're fine and they just give me a friendly nod.

A while back there was a goat on the roadside. So I was conversing with him to inquire as to why he was on the road rather than behind the fence with the rest of the goats. It was a rather one sided conversation. Then I realized the old guy who owns the goats was standing by his mailbox listening to the exchange. I waved and he gave me a rather quizzical look.

Last edited by jon c.; 05-02-19 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-02-19, 06:01 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
First rule of dog ownership: DOGS CAN BE TRAINED. Too bad 99% of dog owner don't get this. Having your dog on a leash is the law. But allowing him to stretch 20 ft. in all directions across the path and sidewalk defeats the purpose.

For those of you that don't get this consider the command known as "heel". But I've gotten off topic haven't I? This is the talking dogs thread.
My favorite dog command is "BEHAVE!" Covers a whole host of sins, and leaves the dog little or no wiggle room, if he later claims he was attempting to act in good faith by following your commands as given, without attempting to figure out why they were given.
Old 05-02-19, 06:09 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
A while back there was a goat on the roadside. So I was conversing with him to inquire as to why he was on the road rather than behind the fence with the rest of the goats. It was a rather on sided conversation. Then I realized the old guy who owns the goats was standing by his mailbox listening to the exchange. I waved and he gave me a rather quizzical look.
On of our local groups was once chased by a goat. It was described as being quite aggressive.
Old 05-02-19, 06:17 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Ever been head-butted by a male goat with horns? They hit HARD, aggressively, and repeatedly, until you leave the area they're "guarding".
Old 05-02-19, 06:36 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Plus je connais les hommes, plus j aime les chiens.

In other words, the more I know men, the more I love dogs; especially my dogs.

Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 05-05-19, 08:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I also talk to cows.

You have to, Old Bossy needs guidance counseling now and then.
Old 05-05-19, 09:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,792 Times in 1,796 Posts
Yup. I moo at dogs, bark at people and recite haiku to cows. And punch horses because those mean b@$tards always try to bite me.
Old 05-05-19, 09:40 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Yup. I moo at dogs, bark at people and recite haiku to cows. And punch horses because those mean b@$tards always try to bite me.
I hope that the part about punching horses was said in jest and with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

I love horses and if I saw anyone punching a horse that human better hope to be able to outrun me...just saying.
Old 05-05-19, 09:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,792 Times in 1,796 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I hope that the part about punching horses was said in jest and with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

I love horses and if I saw anyone punching a horse that human better hope to be able to outrun me...just saying.
Yup, just a joke. Reference to Blazing Saddles.

I've actually been bitten by horses several times, but it just feels like a pinch. My cat gives me worse injuries almost every day.

Old 05-06-19, 01:28 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Talking to dogs actually goes against their psychology. Chatting with dogs on a regular cycling route might seem like it helps but the dogs are probably just becoming used to seeing the cyclist anyway. Dogs see humans that talk to them as weak dogs that need to be dominated. Dogs that seem to be becoming more friendly can turn aggressive if the human walks/rides away...in their view you're leaving the pack without permission.

I live near a bike path with lots of dog walkers & there's 100% correlation between owners who talk the most & the worst behaved dogs. BTW I love dogs & often get compliments on how well-behaved my dogs are.
Old 05-06-19, 04:43 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
On my daily ride there's a meadow with a pony, a donkey, and a burro. I'm smitten with them, and many times we've stopped to pet them and offer carrots, etc. I've named them, Pony Boy, Donkey-Donk, and Burrito. I'm particularly fond of Donkey-Donk, and yell his name every time I ride by. The fun part is, that all of them turn to look when I say that, so I'm sure all of them think that I'm speaking to each of them individually. Then there is Maggie, a yellow lab, who will run along side of us for a while, and then veer of and return home. My wife will talk to her in her dog-love-baby-voice, and you can see that Maggie just loves the attention. I've never had a bad dog encounter, which is rather odd to me after hearing so many stories. Maybe dogs can just tell? Maybe I smell so bad that the dogs would rather just roll on me instead of barking?
Likes For J.Higgins:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.