Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Conti GP5000 after 400 miles

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Conti GP5000 after 400 miles

Old 05-17-19, 06:05 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
Yeah, thorns are not an issue here in Northern Virginia. The roads aren’t great, and I suppose we have some glass, but nothing too bad. My experience with the Schwalbe durability is in comparison to how quickly I tore through two sets of Conti 4Ks. I have gone through 3 Schwalbe tires in 2 and half years (with life still left in the current front tire) as compared to burning through four contis in less than half that time.
What are you talking about in terms of mileage and how big or small of a person are ya? I love my S-One/G-One Speeds, but I've always wanted to give the Pro Ones a try if I could get at least a couple thousand out of a rear.
Old 05-17-19, 06:23 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I used the Pro4/Power Endurance tires for many years because they are a nice riding, reasonably fast, and durable tire(often very inexpensive). The Power Endurance is a little smoother than the Pro4 E, but sometimes the Pro4 E can be found for about half the price of Power Endurance tires.
I second this. Switched from Continental GP4000SII to Michelin Pro4 Endurance. (I cannot speak to the GP5000, but I hear puncture resistance is not bettter, even worse)

Pro 4 Endurance is waaaaaay more puncture resistant / better sidewalls. Way less flats (I dont think I've had a single puncture on these tires in about 1.5 years riding them). Continentals I had a puncture every other ride towards the end.

Sure the continentals might be a few watts faster (like 2-2.5 watts per tire, not even noticeable) but standing on the side of the road changing a tire DEFINITELY is slower than just riding along...

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...urance-v2-2015

By the way: the real successor to the Pro4 Endurance is the Krylion Endurance, not the Power Endurance. Even though both have same rolling resistance, the Krylion has reinforced sidewalls and the Power does not! Perhaps the Power endurance rides a bit smoother, not sure. But rolling resistance is the same, so I would go for the Krylion Endurance. Krylion is cheaper too, so great all round tire!
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...endurance-2016

The Continental 5000GP are definitely a "race" tire. Very fast, but not very durable. I don't know why you would choose this tire for recreation or even club rides... sure it is nice to go fast, but way too "weak" for everyday use in my opinion.

Last edited by maartendc; 05-17-19 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-17-19, 06:30 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I have some GP 4000's mounted on a spare set of wheels, to use for long mountain rides, but for daily use I have various tires that are slower, but don't get constant flats and have more durable sidewalls.

Don't get me wrong though, Contis are great performing tires, but really unsuitable for daily use on California roads, which to me seem much closer to roads in a place like Egypt, than the well-maintained roads in Germany these tires were apparently designed for (that California no longer has).
Old 05-17-19, 06:52 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I have some GP 4000's mounted on a spare set of wheels, to use for long mountain rides, but for daily use I have various tires that are slower, but don't get constant flats and have more durable sidewalls.

Don't get me wrong though, Contis are great performing tires, but really unsuitable for daily use on California roads, which to me seem much closer to roads in a place like Egypt, than the well-maintained roads in Germany these tires were apparently designed for (that California no longer has).
I dont understand. Why would you say one tire gets more flats on less kept roads than another tire? Or are you saying that there is more glass on the road now than there used to be?
Old 05-17-19, 07:07 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Beyond the thorns and glass, sometimes the roads just look like this, and a "high performance" tire doesn't last very long if asked to deal with it day after day.

Old 05-17-19, 07:17 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I dont understand. Why would you say one tire gets more flats on less kept roads than another tire? Or are you saying that there is more glass on the road now than there used to be?
Yes, I get far less flats running a slower, but more durable tire. Might be difficult to believe, but I find that it's true.

And yes, the roads have gotten worse, not necessarily due to more glass or goat head thorns, it's mostly that California has decided to let its roads intentionally deteriorate, to try to get people out of their cars and onto public transportation, while legislators waste the road repair money on "other things".
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-17-19, 07:22 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Yes, I get far less flats running a slower, but more durable tire. Might be difficult to believe, but I find that it's true.

And yes, the roads have gotten worse, not necessarily due to more glass or goat head thorns, it's mostly that California has decided to let its roads intentionally deteriorate, to try to get people out of their cars and onto public transportation, while legislators waste the road repair money on "other things".
So true (about California legislature).

Apropos to Lemond1985’s comments, yesterday I rode portions of the ATOC Stage 5 route. It is a ride that I do on a regular basis. I noticed some quick asphalt patches on places where the road is chewed pretty badly. Next rain the patches will be gone.

I used to travel a great deal in states like Ohio, Arizona and New Mexico.

Even in states like Ohio, with its snowy winters, the roads are in far better repair than in sunny California.

It is embarrassing.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 05-17-19 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-17-19, 06:34 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What are you talking about in terms of mileage and how big or small of a person are ya? I love my S-One/G-One Speeds, but I've always wanted to give the Pro Ones a try if I could get at least a couple thousand out of a rear.
I would guess I get around 1500-2000 miles on the rear, lots more on front. I am big, 200-215 depending on how hard I am working to not be fat.
Likes For DOS:
Old 05-18-19, 09:28 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
I second this. Switched from Continental GP4000SII to Michelin Pro4 Endurance. (I cannot speak to the GP5000, but I hear puncture resistance is not bettter, even worse)

Pro 4 Endurance is waaaaaay more puncture resistant / better sidewalls. Way less flats (I dont think I've had a single puncture on these tires in about 1.5 years riding them). Continentals I had a puncture every other ride towards the end.

Sure the continentals might be a few watts faster (like 2-2.5 watts per tire, not even noticeable) but standing on the side of the road changing a tire DEFINITELY is slower than just riding along...

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...urance-v2-2015

By the way: the real successor to the Pro4 Endurance is the Krylion Endurance, not the Power Endurance. Even though both have same rolling resistance, the Krylion has reinforced sidewalls and the Power does not! Perhaps the Power endurance rides a bit smoother, not sure. But rolling resistance is the same, so I would go for the Krylion Endurance. Krylion is cheaper too, so great all round tire!
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...endurance-2016

The Continental 5000GP are definitely a "race" tire. Very fast, but not very durable. I don't know why you would choose this tire for recreation or even club rides... sure it is nice to go fast, but way too "weak" for everyday use in my opinion.
Good to know about the krylion endurance. Thanks!

I was concerned about replacing the pro4e on my rough road bike when they wear out. The rear finally got a cut after a year, but no punctures.
Old 05-18-19, 12:24 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
This really isn't a political post, just a post to clarify things so you can more effectively complain to the correct jurisdiction. The responsibility for different roads falls on four different governmental levels: federal, state, county, and city. In terms of miles of roadway, cities and counties are responsible for the greatest fraction by far, and it's not close. There is some cost sharing from the feds and the state but, mostly, you can tell that it's the county or city when you cross a county line or city border and then suddenly the road get better (or worse).
Likes For RChung:
Old 05-18-19, 07:55 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest

I was concerned about replacing the pro4e on my rough road bike when they wear out. The rear finally got a cut after a year, but no punctures.
Planet Cyclery usually has a good deal

https://planetcyclery.com/components...endurance-tire
Old 05-18-19, 10:22 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Planet Cyclery usually has a good deal

https://planetcyclery.com/components...endurance-tire
Wow yeah, thanks.
Old 05-19-19, 09:40 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
So true (about California legislature).

Apropos to Lemond1985’s comments, yesterday I rode portions of the ATOC Stage 5 route. It is a ride that I do on a regular basis. I noticed some quick asphalt patches on places where the road is chewed pretty badly. Next rain the patches will be gone.

I used to travel a great deal in states like Ohio, Arizona and New Mexico.

Even in states like Ohio, with its snowy winters, the roads are in far better repair than in sunny California.

It is embarrassing.
I was pretty shocked when I came to California (around Solvang) last year for a riding vacation. I didn't expect the roads to be falling apart, but they were. I lived in California in the 1980s and 1990s, and the situation was better then.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-19-19, 09:43 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

That's because those roads haven't been paved since the 80s or 90s... or earlier. My street was last re-paved when the subdivision went in across the street, in 1985. Then they widened about 1/4 mile of it, and only paved the new bit. Then just this year they put in new electrical vaults, and only paved a little strip to fix what they tore up. So it's... just terrible.
Old 05-19-19, 09:44 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Letting the roads crumble here has become a form of virtue signalling, it shows you're "down with the struggle" to get everyone out of their cars and onto trains and buses (and limos for the rich people).
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-19-19, 10:11 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Letting the roads crumble here has become a form of virtue signalling, it shows you're "down with the struggle" to get everyone out of their cars and onto trains and buses (and limos for the rich people).
Limos for the rich and taxpayer-paid gas guzzling SUVs for the fat arsed legislators...all the while they lecture us on conservation and global warming.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 05-19-19, 10:12 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I was pretty shocked when I came to California (around Solvang) last year for a riding vacation. I didn't expect the roads to be falling apart, but they were. I lived in California in the 1980s and 1990s, and the situation was better then.
When my family moved to California, the state was the envy of the Nation...of the World.

Now, not so much.
Old 05-19-19, 10:19 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't object quite so much if there actually were trains.

If you do it right and get people off roads, then it's easier to keep the roads in good condition because they get less use (assuming you don't have to contend with winter effects). But....
Old 05-19-19, 10:32 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

As cyclists we get the worst of both worlds. No public transport, so the roads are overcrowded and too narrow for the numbers of cars using them, and no road repairs, so the shoulders (if there are any) are completely shredded and full of broken pavement, potholes, and goat head vines. Especially in unincorporated areas, but also many city streets are like this.
Old 05-19-19, 02:14 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

sure thing!

Yes from what I hear the Krylion endurance is exactly the same tire as the Pro4 Endurance under a different name...
Old 05-19-19, 02:18 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Worse on top of bad, around this time of year, when cities have the "spend it or lose it" money in the budget, select streets get at least re-topped (like chipseal, but one extra step-- capped? Something like that) and it's pretty much never streets that need it. Some streets in a nearby subdivision just got capped, and they were originally put down maybe 15 years ago. No pot holes, no cracks. Somebody paid somebody. There are sections of local road so bad I won't drive my car on them. Those don't get repaved, ever.
Old 05-19-19, 02:30 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

When my family moved to California, the state was the envy of the Nation...of the World.

Now, not so much.
It really depends on the city.

I went through Calabasas today in the area around Amgen headquarters, and the pavement is immaculate, wide, and bike friendly.

You could ride it comfortably on 150psi track tubs.
Old 05-19-19, 03:02 PM
eja_ bottecchia

It really depends on the city.

I went through Calabasas today in the area around Amgen headquarters, and the pavement is immaculate, wide, and bike friendly.

You could ride it comfortably on 150psi track tubs.
True. For the record, however, AMGEN’s HQ is in Thousand Oaks, well technically in Newbury Park.

TO and NP are in Ventura County. Calabasas is in LA county. Those of us in Ventura like to keep that distinction.
Old 05-20-19, 07:35 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

True. For the record, however, AMGEN’s HQ is in Thousand Oaks, well technically in Newbury Park.

TO and NP are in Ventura County. Calabasas is in LA county. Those of us in Ventura like to keep that distinction.
Yes, it was the T.O. office.

Great area to ride.
Old 05-20-19, 01:12 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Yes, it was the T.O. office.

Great area to ride.
TO and the surrounding areas is a great place to ride. TO was voted the 19th most bike friendly city in the USA.

I am happy to be out here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.