Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I am no longer a cyclist! Don't miss me too badly.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I am no longer a cyclist! Don't miss me too badly.

Old 05-18-19, 12:10 PM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I didn't ride for like 20 years and at 40yrs old I got back into it.. And Within a year.. I already got hit by a car..
I love biking so I won't give it up just because there are stupid people out there.. But I understand why you would.
I prefer riding over walking just because I like getting places a lil quicker.
Old 05-18-19, 12:50 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
"The squeaky wheel gets the grease." If you don't speak up for yourself no one will know, and no one will care. So for the OP and anyone else out there that's too timid to defend their sport/pastime/commute/etc., I do it for them. As long as my legs work, I intend to cycle. I'll be the vanguard.
Old 05-18-19, 07:52 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
Going to do my best to ignore them. Don't want to give them the satisfaction. But I don't know where it will escalate from here. They think they found a Mark. I ride at certain times.If they are sitting waiting for me, I guess there will be trouble. Thinking about a gun or mace. Or give up Bike Path.

The he only thing about BioPace is that I had the high spots in the wrong place. I rotated it to where I thought it should be and I felt the difference. So I am experimenting with it. Not a racer by any means. Mostly what ya'll call low cadence. That is who it is supposed to help.
It is; it's designed for low cadence, okay at mid levels, and for climbing hills. If they're always there, you might as well act the crazy scary white guy part. I wouldn't resort to a gun, I like guns, I do, but I think it's a b¡tch move to go straight to one, if they had one, that would be there first move. If you mace them and start smacking them with a spare tube, might get the point accros.
Old 05-18-19, 08:54 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
It is; it's designed for low cadence, okay at mid levels, and for climbing hills. If they're always there, you might as well act the crazy scary white guy part. I wouldn't resort to a gun, I like guns, I do, but I think it's a b¡tch move to go straight to one, if they had one, that would be there first move. If you mace them and start smacking them with a spare tube, might get the point accros.
One of the reasons why I am going back to Biopace is because everyone puts them down. I don't think people understand what they are used for. But I am telling you,when I got the high spots in the right place as compared to where they were before,it was worth at least one gear.Right now I have a 52T Biopace that I bought used and I think someone ran it with a stretched chain and wallowed out the valleys. Because the Points look pretty good. So every single time I go to accelerate at all it skips and the chain comes off. I stumbled across a company called BikeWagon that is closing out new Biopace Chain Rings and bought a Silver 48T for $18.99 if you know of anyone interested. Hopefully that should give me better access to 6th and 7th gear,a better climbing gear and better acceleration. That is the thinking anyway.

If I keep my cool and my chain I should be alright.I made a couple of Tactical Errors last time and the chain coming off exposed me.I thought about it and they should be only on a certain section of the Bike Path in the evening.So I won't ride that section in the evening until I get my Chain Ring Fixed and give things time to cool down. After that, if I see them again and they want to cause trouble they will be dead wrong and the first time was not inadvertent and I will deal with them by just ignoring them and accelerate out of trouble. Drive them nuts. If I get cornered, who knows.
Old 05-18-19, 09:54 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
From my OP:

The whole story is that I had to drive a car daily for about 6 months in (2014 I think) which allowed me to keep up with auto traffic for long periods. Because of this I noticed HOW LONG these morons gaze at their phones at a stretch. Sometimes 5-10 seconds! That's when i knew it was time to quit. Bad enough that in New Orleans HALF of them are legally drunk at any given moment. Not New Years Eve or 4th of July but any day, any time. Worse in the early a.m. when it might be pleasant to ride in the hotter months.

Keep your bike in perfect repair is #1 . Including flat resistant tires. For #2 , if you see a group of people you don't want to tangle with just turn around ASAP and ride a different route until you pass them. I encounter a number of youths walking in the street like gunslingers in an old Western movie - spread out across both lanes of a quiet back street. I turn off immediately and pick another street. I also carry an alloy A.S.P. collapsible baton in my pocket.

Sorry that happened to you. I am sure it freaked you out real good. I hate that s***. You were lucky to avoid a nice sucker punch.
I actually encountered something similar on my old 150 scooter. One of them acted like they were gonna knock me off, I turned around and made them think I was gonna run them down. Never happened on a bicycle, I think it's because I'm usually moving fast.
Old 05-18-19, 10:01 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

One of the reasons why I am going back to Biopace is because everyone puts them down. I don't think people understand what they are used for. But I am telling you,when I got the high spots in the right place as compared to where they were before,it was worth at least one gear.Right now I have a 52T Biopace that I bought used and I think someone ran it with a stretched chain and wallowed out the valleys. Because the Points look pretty good. So every single time I go to accelerate at all it skips and the chain comes off. I stumbled across a company called BikeWagon that is closing out new Biopace Chain Rings and bought a Silver 48T for $18.99 if you know of anyone interested. Hopefully that should give me better access to 6th and 7th gear,a better climbing gear and better acceleration. That is the thinking anyway.

If I keep my cool and my chain I should be alright.I made a couple of Tactical Errors last time and the chain coming off exposed me.I thought about it and they should be only on a certain section of the Bike Path in the evening.So I won't ride that section in the evening until I get my Chain Ring Fixed and give things time to cool down. After that, if I see them again and they want to cause trouble they will be dead wrong and the first time was not inadvertent and I will deal with them by just ignoring them and accelerate out of trouble. Drive them nuts. If I get cornered, who knows.
I had one on my Schwinn High Sierra, felt like it slowed me down.
Old 05-18-19, 10:25 PM
mjac

I had one on my Schwinn High Sierra, felt like it slowed me down.
Thought you might be a little partial to them after you said they were designed for low cadence and are OK for midrange and climbing. Like I said everyone puts them down. One guy mentioned Sakae Ovaltech was better. Then you have Osymetric, Absolute Black and Rotor in the $160 range. I got Biopace $18.99.
Old 05-19-19, 08:53 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 209 Posts
I actually encountered something similar on my old 150 scooter. One of them acted like they were gonna knock me off, I turned around and made them think I was gonna run them down. Never happened on a bicycle, I think it's because I'm usually moving fast.
Speed is your friend in sketchy neighborhoods. It takes time to formulate an ambush. Not much, but you want to be gone before they can act on their impulse.

Thought you might be a little partial to them after you said they were designed for low cadence and are OK for midrange and climbing. Like I said everyone puts them down. One guy mentioned Sakae Ovaltech was better. Then you have Osymetric, Absolute Black and Rotor in the $160 range. I got Biopace $18.99.
I used Biopace on my smallest chainring and really liked it. My 1988 Cannondale ST1000 came with Biopace on all three rings. I got rid of the larger two rings and went round. I really think the Biopace helped on long, steep climbs with the loaded-down touring bike. Same reason compound bows use elliptical shaped pulleys. There is a slight benefit at one point in the rotation where the force of pulling the bowstring is greatly reduced by that shape - two points of benefit on a bike crank of course. Just my take.
Old 05-19-19, 11:30 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Speed is your friend in sketchy neighborhoods. It takes time to formulate an ambush. Not much, but you want to be gone before they can act on their impulse.

I used Biopace on my smallest chainring and really liked it. My 1988 Cannondale ST1000 came with Biopace on all three rings. I got rid of the larger two rings and went round. I really think the Biopace helped on long, steep climbs with the loaded-down touring bike. Same reason compound bows use elliptical shaped pulleys. There is a slight benefit at one point in the rotation where the force of pulling the bowstring is greatly reduced by that shape - two points of benefit on a bike crank of course. Just my take.
Ahh, a semi vote for Biopace. But I thought I addressed that to JaxRhapsody unless you just caught up with it.

Still going back and forth. Avoid that area of the Bike Path in the Evenings. Or ride wherever I want whenever I want once I get the Chain Ring fixed and deal with whatever happens.
Old 05-29-19, 09:31 AM
satrain18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Joey even taught us that running red lights and stop signs, if you do it right and in the right places and times, is not only rational but sometimes safer. But if he's afraid to mix in traffic now, do we need to reconsider that? Does the fear of traffic contradict the confidence of flowing with the traffic while loosely affiliated with traffic laws? Maybe ...
Yes, we should reconsider.
Old 05-30-19, 04:05 AM
j.postema

Bikes: Raleigh Criterium steel bike, Challenge Furai 2x26 recumbent bike, Koga Myata travel bike, Brompton folding bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's sad but understandable. I hate the mobile phone for this reason, together with the increasing speed of other road users. (cars and e-bikes). Maybe you could do more off-road riding?
Old 05-30-19, 06:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by j.postema
Maybe you could do more off-road riding?
I live in a swamp surrounded by marshland, lakes, estuaries, rivers, bayous, canals, and the Gulf of Mexico. Off-road travel better involve something that floats.

For instance:

Lake Pontchartrain Causeway [New Orleans to Mandeville, Louisiana]

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway is the longest continuous bridge passing over water, the waters of New Orleans's Lake Pontchartrain to be exact. The bridge is so long that for 8 of its 24 miles, you can't see land in any direction. - Google search.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 05-30-19 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-30-19, 07:18 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
long goodbye
Old 05-30-19, 07:55 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked 5,400 Times in 2,796 Posts
I'm not sure how to react to Joey's announcement.
I'm torn between:

And:

Old 05-30-19, 08:01 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked 5,400 Times in 2,796 Posts
BTW Joey; If you are into longboards now, what are your plans for Aug 17-18?
Venom Skate Products | Devils Peak
Old 05-30-19, 08:46 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
long goodbye
I'm not going to be rude. If this thread keeps getting bumped with questions I will answer them when I get time. I still plan to post in Living Car-Free as that is still relevant. Although not much action over there.

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
BTW Joey; If you are into longboards now, what are your plans for Aug 17-18?
Venom Skate Products | Devils Peak
I would love to go and be a spectator! Or anywhere in Colorado for that matter (other than east of the Rockies). Not going to hurl myself down a mountain pass on a glorified furniture dolly tho. One local bridge near my house gets me to 25mph. That is enough speed excitement for me.
Old 05-30-19, 09:04 PM
mivaldes

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took the exact same stance as you about 4 years ago because of the drivers. In that time, I gained weight, and my diabetes got a lot worse. I realize now what a mistake that was. Cycling is the best form of exercise for me bar none. I"M BACK!
Old 05-30-19, 09:29 PM
EngProducts
EngineeredProducts Etsy

Bikes: Trek Boone Race Shop Limited

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We'll miss you. Definitely dangerous out there.
Old 05-30-19, 10:10 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by EngProducts
We'll miss you. Definitely dangerous out there.
It safer now than before. His decision is irrational, no doubt based on unbridled emotions, rather than reason and facts.
Old 05-31-19, 04:01 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
i find it really funny how most are more or less bashing the OP for his choice. The man loves longboards more than bikes, i fall under the same boat tbh.

Is it so hard to grasp that not everyone on this forum has bicycles as their main hobby?

@JoeyBike see you next year at dutch ultraskate?
Old 05-31-19, 05:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
How can we miss you when you won't go away? Most self-indulgent thread ever.
Old 05-31-19, 03:41 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by phile
i find it really funny how most are more or less bashing the OP for his choice. The man loves longboards more than bikes, i fall under the same boat tbh.
We have more participants than I would have believed before I got back into it and looked online for social contacts and other info.

Is it so hard to grasp that not everyone on this forum has bicycles as their main hobby?
Just like many motorists have no idea what cyclists are capable of doing on a bike, no one who is outside of the longboard community has any clues. I am more of a speed skater/ hockey jock on inline skates or old school quad skates who never quit doing those things. I got back into boards about 6 years ago big time after a 40 year layoff due to the advancements in truck and board tech. Now i serve two masters: Skates and Boards.

@JoeyBike see you next year at dutch ultraskate?
My local Rail-Trail is 100km round trip and that is about all I can muster and call it "fun". Would love to spend time around people who can push a board 200+ miles in 24 hours. Almost have to see that to believe it. I'm 61 years old now and the tendons and ligaments ain't what they used to be.

I skated 3170 miles in 2017. Pretty sure I will never top that.

BTW...I am on Endomondo daily pretty much as Joey Brooks. https://www.endomondo.com/profile/35663751 - so if you want to stay in touch outside of this miserable place...

Facebook kicked me out for using an alias.

For your enjoyment:

Originally Posted by livedarklions
How can we miss you when you won't go away? Most self-indulgent thread ever.
Stop bumping it. When ppl stop bumping it, the thread will die peacefully. I also stated that I will stay "active" in the Living Car-Free thread since I don't really have to be a cyclist to fit in there. And if someone asks me a question in a Quote or a Mention I will respond as I still get those notifications.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 05-31-19 at 04:01 PM.